Vernon Mayor and council

tabubil
Fledgling

Vernon Mayor and council

Post by tabubil »

I have just read again that now the city park planner wants to make major upgrades and changes to Deer Park, for those that do not know about this park it is basically for those that live at the Canadian Lakeview Estates and it has fallen into disrepair. I visited as saw few any any people using this park on a clear 26 degree day.
Now we have the gem of Vernon Polson Park cannot be enjoyed this summer because of smelly, algae covered grass in a large area, why because of flooding. Why is this always happening so often, many people myself included love to walk sit and think in this beautiful park. Even a walk around the track is difficult, could do with the proper upgrading. So why has the city park planner and the city let it get to this point who knows.
Let us not think about a new park (near the train tracks, updating a distant park ( I think it is the farthest lying park in Vernon) when what many people come here to see and also the locals Polson Park is being let get into the shape it is.
Cannot we not dig out the creek and widen it, some how control the flow through the creek in the spring>
I would rather see my tax dollars spent of this well know, popular and well used park that on other parks that are not yet made or ones that get little use.
I know that many of our parks because I was in a group the looked at park usage and most parks are lucky if they get 5-10 people on a nice day. I made the point that many should be sold or used for other things as the cost was too great for the budget.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/30 ... -Deer-Park
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Re: Vernon Mayor and council

Post by DetectivePikachu »

The creek is already Controlled at the Kal lake intake.

Polson park rarely floods like this, this is an odd year for it due to ground water, not the creek over flowing.
ajoker

Post by ajoker »

Jesus, god no.

More parks, PLEASE. Coming from the lower mainland, this place is a wasteland to enjoy nature.

The parks and pathways that already exist also need washrooms.

Deer Park is nowhere near Vernon though, let's be honest.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

Cannot we not dig out the creek and widen it, some how control the flow through the creek in the spring>

Its a spawning creek. Best left in as natural a state as possible. Fish come first.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

We need more parks and trails around the city. The new part of the Grey Canal Trail from Turtle Mountain to the Blue Jay subdivision is just great with a view over most of the city. With Covid, many of us have gotten into walking longer distances and the trails are perfect.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Tabubil, see if you can find out how much the City of Vernon PAID to finally own Deer Park - 10 years ago it was still owned by the strata and Greater Vernon Parks and Rec saw no need to purchase this property despite intense lobbying from the community association.

When control of local parks switched to the City (2014?), all of a sudden we are now buying up strata parks and in 2020 we are planning $371,000 of improvements for this teeny tiny park in this far flung neighbourhood? Why am I even asking this question? :swear: We are also paying for Turtle Mountain LANDSCAPING yet in my hood we don't even have DITCHES that DRAIN... And I am unable to convince the City that we require more durable tees at the Lakers Disc Golf Course for kids to safely fling their frisbees, but we can spend $200K+ to install gravel paths for dog walkers and fence the kids off from the dogs?!?!
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Turtle mountain landscaping. We sometimes forget that this is the Okanagan and city councils are the puppets of developers and developers get their people on council and then council does what is asked of them. Like doing the landscaping into Turtle Mountain instead of the developer doing it. And the development cost charges have been reduced.

Just wait until that huge O'Keefe rangeland begins to be developed. It will need all kinds of sewer and water lines leading up to it. All kinds of roads into it. The developer will pay for the infrastructure inside his development. The rest of us will pay for everything else. Will our current sewage treatment plant handle all those new houses? Not likely. We can expect to be paying for that, too.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Likely nothing to do with City Council, Highways methinks.
But;

Thank you for the right turn lane addition South-bound into Vernon.

I've observed, stated, and biotched about the need for this for 15 years.

Now it is there !

Thank you.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

And furthermore..... take even more pressure off of the highway by extending 48th street from the Toyota dealership across to Old Kamloops Road. A lot of traffic would go over to Old Kamloops/Alexis Park Drive and ease the load on the highway. It can be really bad during tourist season.

Return to “North Okanagan”