China is paving its 'belt and road' to British Columbia

featfan
Guru

China is paving its 'belt and road' to British Columbia

Post by featfan »

https://www.coastreporter.net/china-is- ... 1.24187665

A major warehouse facility under construction in Surrey is not just paving the way for more trade between B.C. and China. It could be helping pave Chinese President Xi Jinping’s Belt and Road Initiative to Canada.

Can not see how this will work out for Canada in the future.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: China is paving its 'belt and road' to British Columbia

Post by Even Steven »

It's a warehouse.

What's the big deal, exactly? Why is it news?
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Even Steven wrote:It's a warehouse.

What's the big deal, exactly? Why is it news?

Because it is the CCP.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

oldtrucker wrote:It's the only one like it in North America according to the article

That's a good thing.
When you have the only one of it's kind on the continent, that makes the value go up.
Just look at "The Vaults" here in Kelowna.
Only 2/19 left.
http://thevaults.ca/locations/kelowna

The VAULTS creates an exclusive community of like-minded individuals that share similar passions
Bring back the LIKE button.
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

Trade is good.
Bad trade deals are bad. The trading partner will always try to put one over on us. That's not on them. It's on us to not let them.
Not trading with China because they are smarter than us is dumb. Don't be dumb.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Trade with China becomes bad when we allow them to bring in their own workers and pay them China wages and operate under Chinese laws in our country. Chinese corporations operating here get around these rules by paying the workers Canadian rates and then clawing back the wages from their bank accounts back home. The less we allow these deals where we allow them to operate under their laws inside our country the better.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

typhoon44 wrote: Don't be dumb.

too bad that's all we've got for a federal government right now, really really dumb people.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

ccp can not be trusted.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 11th, 2020, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 11th, 2020, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Here we have a logistical center under construction that will make trade between China and Canada easier. Do we benefit from it? Yes we do. It will increase the flow of goods from from Asia to US/Canada. What is the possible worst case scenario that might be CCP's evil plan of destroying innocent Canadians through this piece of real estate?

Use logic, people. Don't give into fear and propaganda that paints anything Chinese evil automatically, think for yourself once in a while. "OMG, Chinese-connected company is building something, it's a trap!" Good god...
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Even Steven wrote:Here we have a logistical center under construction that will make trade between China and Canada easier. Do we benefit from it? Yes we do. It will increase the flow of goods from from Asia to US/Canada. What is the possible worst case scenario that might be CCP's evil plan of destroying innocent Canadians through this piece of real estate?

Use logic, people. Don't give into fear and propaganda that paints anything Chinese evil automatically, think for yourself once in a while. "OMG, Chinese-connected company is building something, it's a trap!" Good god...

China's plan is ultimate world domination. They will do anything to control everything.

They have flooded our markets with cheap products, getting rid of most production in Canada. We even ship our raw lumber there, too expensive to refine it ourselves lol. People now go searching for "made in Canada" to combat this. Only 51% of the manufacturing costs need to be from Canada to make this claim. With new facilities such as this one, they could ship 95% finished product for cheap and add one part from Canada totaling 51% of the manufacture and then claim made in Canada, eroding the label.

Once they have these mega ports, they will be able to complete with their other cheaper competitors more, giving them a monopoly on world trade (even more than they currently have).

Once everything in Canada is from China and we have no ability to create stuff ourselves... We become even earlier to control. The next time we arrest Meng, if they are in a good enough position to cut shipments to Canada, they may use that as a bargaining chip. They were willing to ruin Canadains lives if we didn't release her, you think they are going to play fair with these ports? Ha.

I don't support allowing a country that cencors its population to build this strong of ties with a free country. What message do we send if we don't bargin for ourselves in the deal?
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Anyone else closely watching China?

More reason to not want a huge Chinese government facility here...

Wong said activists in her group had a foretaste of the impotence of Canadian police in the face of such harassment on August 17, 2019, when members of the Hong Kong diaspora rallied in 30 cities around the world to back Hong Kong's anti-extradition protests. They were met by counter-protesters waving Chinese flags.

Wong said she was one of a number of protest participants who were subsequently "doxxed" by online antagonists. "They took photos of me and started digging up my personal information, my email address, where I was living, my phone number," she said. "And [they] shared that kind of information maliciously through WeChat channels."

"We have seen evidence of these counter-protesters being paid. We saw large scale coordination on WeChat and Weibo and I think there's more to be seen than just angry individuals."

"These individuals who show up to protest are also saying that they are part of the Chinese Communist Party, that they are sending this information back to the consulate, to the embassy," she said. "And coming from an authoritarian regime like the Chinese Communist Party, [which] has been known to conduct surveillance operations, suppression tactics, we can't just dismiss this as just counter-protesters."

Kwan said Chinese authorities can deploy even more subtle forms of coercion, such as leaning on Beijing-friendly businesses to withhold advertising spending from certain outlets seen as hostile to Beijing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/china-hong-kong-democracy-protests-chinese-embassy-canada-1.5717288
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

Sparki55 wrote:
China's plan is ultimate world domination. They will do anything to control everything.

They have flooded our markets with cheap products, getting rid of most production in Canada. We even ship our raw lumber there, too expensive to refine it ourselves lol. People now go searching for "made in Canada" to combat this. Only 51% of the manufacturing costs need to be from Canada to make this claim. With new facilities such as this one, they could ship 95% finished product for cheap and add one part from Canada totaling 51% of the manufacture and then claim made in Canada, eroding the label.

Once they have these mega ports, they will be able to complete with their other cheaper competitors more, giving them a monopoly on world trade (even more than they currently have).

Once everything in Canada is from China and we have no ability to create stuff ourselves... We become even earlier to control. The next time we arrest Meng, if they are in a good enough position to cut shipments to Canada, they may use that as a bargaining chip. They were willing to ruin Canadains lives if we didn't release her, you think they are going to play fair with these ports? Ha.

I don't support allowing a country that cencors its population to build this strong of ties with a free country. What message do we send if we don't bargin for ourselves in the deal?

Wow. I'm glad they shared their world domination plan with you, otherwise we would be in the dark.
Why do you think we should have arrested Meng in the first place?
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

typhoon44 wrote:Wow. I'm glad they shared their world domination plan with you, otherwise we would be in the dark.
Why do you think we should have arrested Meng in the first place?

Meng, who also serves as deputy chairperson of Huawei's board, faces "serious charges of fraud involving millions of dollars" in the United States, according to the affidavit of a Canadian law enforcement official. She could receive substantial jail time if convicted, the statement said.
Her arrest was set in motion in August, when a US federal judge signed off on a warrant for her arrest.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/11/business/huawei-cfo-arrest-details/index.html

Seems to me the US had a reason. Whether or not Canada should have taken part is another issue. Seems the true battle is between China and the USA. If this were the other way around, I would hope the US would detain individuals accused of the same in Canada.

If we're gonna ask dumb hard questions:
Do you belive what China is doing to Hong Kong is right?

Return to “Canada”