Defund the CBC

Should we stop the taxpayers' bailout of CBC?

Yes, they need to make it on their own
54%
No, I want more coverage of Trudeau's socks
46%

Total votes: 210

typhoon44
Übergod

Re: Defund the CBC

Post by typhoon44 »

I think it's more that a certain segment of the population want an OAN or Fox News subsidized by the government to reinforce their narrow view of the world.
Just because you disagree with the truth doesn't mean that you should defund it.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Hurtlander wrote:Doesn’t it bother you that the CBC doesn’t even try to be fair and balanced in its political reporting and commentary anymore ? For goodness sakes, the CBC doesn’t even given positive spin or lip service to the NDP or the Greens anymore, it’s all Trudeau all the time.

Sure. There's definitely room for improvement but I don't see a value in getting rid of them completely.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Hurtlander wrote:Doesn’t it bother you that the CBC doesn’t even try to be fair and balanced in its political reporting and commentary anymore ? For goodness sakes, the CBC doesn’t even given positive spin or lip service to the NDP or the Greens anymore, it’s all Trudeau all the time.

Because Trudeau feeds them, and in return they give the Liberals what the want. The CBC isn't the only ones complicit in this conspiracy. We saw that plain as day when Raybould told the entire country that the gruesome twosome of Telford and Butts had a whole network of journos they could count on to run positive op-eds on an as-needed basis. The media is in bed with the Liberals. They aren't even hiding it anymore.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

typhoon44 wrote:I think it's more that a certain segment of the population want an OAN or Fox News subsidized .

And another segment of the population who want CNN and Rachel Madcow at MSNBC subsidized. It goes both ways.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

JLives wrote:We're a country of over 30 million people. It's inevitable that people will disagree with absolutely anything they say.

If they're just reporting the facts then what is there to disagree with?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Frisk wrote:If they're just reporting the facts then what is there to disagree with?

Indeed. But this is 2020 where people believe they have their own facts.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

JLives wrote:

Sure. There's definitely room for improvement but I don't see a value in getting rid of them completely.

Considering the CBC, radio and TV combined, have between 3-5% market share, it’s unlikely there’d be a huge public outcry if the government pulled the plug on them. Just like when the CBC lost the exclusive rights to Hockey Night in Canada, hockey fans simply switch channels to watch hockey. Perhaps both CBC radio and TV should be modelled after PBS TV and radio, and be sponsor and listener-viewer funded.
ETA: Canada is looking at a $350- 400 Billion deficit by years end, the government either has to tax us all into poverty, or do some serious belt tightening, cutting relatively unpopular things such as the CBC is a good starting point.
Last edited by Hurtlander on Sep 10th, 2020, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

typhoon44 wrote:I think it's more that a certain segment of the population want an OAN or Fox News subsidized by the government to reinforce their narrow view of the world.
Just because you disagree with the truth doesn't mean that you should defund it.

Yes, the report the truth when it is convenient for their agenda. Same as any other station. Why should one get funding of the other? If it just listed stats and facts nobody would have a problem but it spins every storey with language and missing info.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

CBC does report the facts, but only some of the facts, especially the facts that try to make the liberals look good and the conservatives look bad. I bet everything that I own that if it were the other way around CBC would've been defunded decades ago.
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

The Green Barbarian wrote:But imagine the outcry and screaming, and protests, and riots, if the CBC suddenly swung to the right, and started reporting things from a pro-Conservative anti-Justin Trudeau bent, as opposed to the dreck we have to watch now with Rosie B. pumping Justin at every possible moment?

I wonder if Justin and Rosie are having an affair?

They do seem to be in love, and Justin keeps pouring more and more money into her employer's coffers, which directly benefits her.

Another conflict of interest? Potentially.

Does the C.B.C. have some sort of exemption from the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council to allow this to go on? Is that exemption just a wink and a handshake from the Prime Minister's Office?
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Canada needs this guy if the CBC is going to continue,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -here.html

'Bias has no place at the BBC': New boss Tim Davie issues stark warning to staff that 'partisan campaigners' and 'opinionated columnists' should not be working at the corporation

The BBC's new Director-General has told staff if they want to be opinionated columnists or a partisan campaigners on social media they 'should not be working at the BBC'.

Tim Davie, who took over this week, said the broadcaster needed to 'urgently champion and recommit to impartiality'.

He insisted his drive was 'about being free from political bias, guided by the pursuit of truth, not a particular agenda'.

Damn, do we ever need a Tim Davie at CBC.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Cast the CBC free to sink or swim

...and redirect that billion $ annual funds to our veterans.

Canada's own
Last edited by Catsumi on Sep 10th, 2020, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo correction
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Pete Podoski wrote:
The Green Barbarian wrote:But imagine the outcry and screaming, and protests, and riots, if the CBC suddenly swung to the right, and started reporting things from a pro-Conservative anti-Justin Trudeau bent, as opposed to the dreck we have to watch now with Rosie B. pumping Justin at every possible moment?

I wonder if Justin and Rosie are having an affair?

They do seem to be in love, and Justin keeps pouring more and more money into her employer's coffers, which directly benefits her.

Another conflict of interest? Potentially.

Does the C.B.C. have some sort of exemption from the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council to allow this to go on? Is that exemption just a wink and a handshake from the Prime Minister's Office?

I think your theory has merit. Showing a picture to your friends and saying "I did this" means "I had sex with this person." Her choice of words was deliberate yet flew over the heads of the dumbasses captivated by flashy socks.

The CBC and the taxpayer have to part ways, now. Justin can finalize his split from Sophie and formalize his affair with Rosemary.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Only 2 programs even worth watching are no longer.
1) HNIC which is now property of Rogers Sportsnet (I know it’s still on cbc, I suspect that will come to an end soon)
2) Rick Mercer

Added: curious thing why does cbc have commercials if they are funded by taxpayers.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

GordonH wrote:
Added: curious thing why does cbc have commercials if they are funded by taxpayers.

CBC is stealing needed advertising dollars from other broadcasters.
Because of their taxpayer funding they charge advertisers less.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “Canada”