Defund the CBC

Should we stop the taxpayers' bailout of CBC?

Yes, they need to make it on their own
58%
No, I want more coverage of Trudeau's socks
42%

Total votes: 192

typhoon44
Übergod

Re: Defund the CBC

Post by typhoon44 »

The only interesting part of this discussion is the venom from people who don't like the truth that CBC reports.
If they were spewing right wing nonsense you would be fighting to keep them funded.

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 11th, 2020, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
SunnyWays
Fledgling

Post by SunnyWays »

typhoon44 wrote:The only interesting part of this discussion is the venom from people who don't like the truth that CBC reports.
If they were spewing right wing nonsense you would be fighting to keep them funded.

Maybe you should focus your fiscal responsibility on using taxpayer money to clean up abandoned wells which should be borne by the oil patch.

So because they are spewing left wing nonsense we should continue to fund them?

Maybe if we didn’t have to fund CBC we could afford to clean up those abandoned wells....hmmm. Much better use of our tax dollars don’t you think?

CBC has no journalistic integrity, they picked a side and their bias ‘reporting’ on issues is not worthy of my time nor my tax dollars.
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 11th, 2020, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

Post by George Orwell 1984 »

CBC reports the “TRUTH” ??? Surely you mean the liberal “truth” .
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

If CBC did actual reporting it could be a very valuable Canadian asset, as it is it is nothing other than a multi billion dollar funded propaganda machine.

A state funded media outlet that was left to unbiased report on local and world events would have been great, and at one point probably was pretty good, but that went away a long time ago. IF the bulk of Canadians agree so well with the way CBC presents itself, it will more than be able to stand on it's own at this point, but once you "pick a side" no matter the side, government funds should be done.

Want to be a Fox news or CNN great, make it on your own, but the governments funds need to end.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Darn CBC anyhow! They have a bunch of people on there with foreign names. Names that are impossible to spell and repeat. Who knows where they are from. You used to be able to tell where people came from by their last names. Not anymore with these folks. Likely walked across the border and demanded to be considered as refugees. And demanded that Trudeau give them all kinds of money for nothing. And now they are among us.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

typhoon44 wrote:The only interesting part of this discussion is the venom from people who don't like the truth that CBC reports.

*removed*

If the CBC is so “truthful” and has such good programming, why does it only get 3-5% of total market share ? Over all, the CBC has a very small niche audience, the CBC doesn’t deserve $1.2 Billion of taxpayer funding each year. I’d rather that money went to healthcare that benefits all Canadians, not just 3-5% of Canadians.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

LOL this one made me laugh, good one.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

Post by George Orwell 1984 »

Ah yes the CBC needs all the funding they can get so they can be heard at the bottom of a mine in South Africa because Trudeau may be there throwing money around for yet another failed attempt at recognition on the world stage. CALL THE ELECTION
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

bob vernon wrote:Darn CBC anyhow! They have a bunch of people on there with foreign names. Names that are impossible to spell and repeat. Who knows where they are from. You used to be able to tell where people came from by their last names. Not anymore with these folks. Likely walked across the border and demanded to be considered as refugees. And demanded that Trudeau give them all kinds of money for nothing. And now they are among us.

Rather sure you are being sarcastic and not just racist but even to try to deflect the discussion to imply that people want to defund it due to racial reasons and not the fact that people find their programming and reporting to be not worth the money paid is still just racist.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

JLives wrote:We're a country of over 30 million people. It's inevitable that people will disagree with absolutely anything they say.

Its not necessarily what they say, its what they choose not to say that gives them a Liberal bias.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I've been a fan of CBC Radio for decades, I got hooked on it working in the Arctic where they were the only choice. That was back in the heydays of Peter Gzowski and Vicki Gabereault. It wasn't so highly politicized in those days. I still listen quite a bit, it's on in the car when I'm driving, and there are a couple of shows that I take in whenever time permits. I am well aware that they lean to the left in their political coverage, but it's light years from extreme and because I am well aware of it it's not an issue. That goes for just about any media source right or left, you have to filter the information to get at the truth. There are only a couple I'd trust to be truly objective, the Canadian Press being the top of that list.

Their government funding may be a problem to anyone whose right wing flaps a little harder, and I can't really argue against the fact that that could be viewed as a conflict of sorts, but I wouldn't support de-funding. I would rather see similar support for a right leaning outlet if that could be done without giving air time to extremists who do more damage than good. I'm thinking like the differences between the Globe & Mail and the National Post, both have their own political bents but neither venture outside traditional realms of decency.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

^^ the good 'ol days of Lorne Greene

Perhaps, give a fraction of the money to CTV that would had gone to CBC, and phase CBC out. CTV is the most watched for 19 years straight. Enable CTV to do more investigative reporting. CTV also rates as being the least biased, or LESS biased than CBC. Although some checkers say CBC is slightly left, CBC appears much more left than fact checkers admit.
Last edited by Jlabute on Sep 11th, 2020, 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

"Overall, we rate CBC Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that leans slightly left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record."
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cbc-news ... adcasting/

Oops.Did that break your narrative?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

typhoon44 wrote:"Overall, we rate CBC Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that leans slightly left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record."
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cbc-news ... adcasting/

Oops.Did that break your narrative?

Oops - no it didn't.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Canada”