Canning Lid Shortage

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Canning Lid Shortage

Post by Lady tehMa »

I do some canning, though not this year. My friend called me asking me if I'd seen wide mouth mason lids anywhere - apparently there is a worldwide shortage?

Is anyone else experiencing this?
I haven't failed until I quit.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Canning Lid Shortage

Post by oneh2obabe »

With people staying home due to Covid-19, more and more are cooking and canning resulting in a shortage of both canning jars and lids in all sizes.

Did a quick check and Walmart, Canadian Tire and Home Hardware in our area are out-of-stock. I'd suggest your friend talk to the K'town Cdn. Tire store and see if they can arrange a stock transfer. Kamloops North has 14 boxes in stock and Castlegar has 71.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bern ... p.html#srp
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Lady tehMa wrote:Is anyone else experiencing this?

Everyone I know and I've been checking around. The shelves at Walmart had lots one day and school backpacks the next. Good idea oneh2obabe.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

oneh2obabe wrote:With people staying home due to Covid-19, more and more are cooking and canning resulting in a shortage of both canning jars and lids in all sizes.

Did a quick check and Walmart, Canadian Tire and Home Hardware in our area are out-of-stock. I'd suggest your friend talk to the K'town Cdn. Tire store and see if they can arrange a stock transfer. Kamloops North has 14 boxes in stock and Castlegar has 71.

You rock, oneh2obabe! We took your advice and ordered, but instead of asking for a stock transfer we ordered directly from stores that showed having stock. She ordered from one, I ordered from another, and hopefully we'll get them.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

The stores I checked in person were Save-On, IGA, Mara, the Dollar Store and Dollarama (Rutland stores, basically).

We were up in Vernon today, and also checked Superstore there.

My friend had visited 7 stores in the Kelowna area and found nothing.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Fun visiting all the stores looking for something you need/want and find nobody has it - NOT.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Interesting fact - this is NOT the first canning lid shortage . . .

there was one in 1975, as well
https://www.nytimes.com/1975/07/20/archives/shortage-of-canning-lids-proves-costly-shortage-of-canning-lids-is.html
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

oneh2obabe wrote:With people staying home due to Covid-19, more and more are cooking and canning resulting in a shortage of both canning jars and lids in all sizes.

If someone is heading to Rock Creek soon I could probably get them some lids from Castlegar Cndn Tire if they have any left.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Michaels seems to have them.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Packaging doesn't say wide mouth and there are only 2 lids per pack for $4.99.

alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

oneh2obabe wrote:^^^Packaging doesn't say wide mouth and there are only 2 lids per pack for $4.99.

NOW that is a gouging RIP OFF!!

Better off to bottle the produce with old lids and replace them when new lids become available.

Just don't heat the brine 1st. when new lids are in hand, empty the contents, pour off the brine and boil it, re-sterilize everything, repack, and can as normal.
You could also put all the pickles in one large container and hold them there until you have the lids. (that's the way they did it in the old'n days, when they used "pickle barrels".
Bring back the LIKE button.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

And my online orders were cancelled . . .

However, my daughter works at a dollar store. Got a text from her as she's unpacking stock - a delivery of canning lids! Snagged a bunch (not all, don't need that many). Thoughtful child - love her.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Good thing B was the employee unpacking the shipment. Did you snag some for your friend?

Off topic ... how is her schooling going?

alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

How many and what size do you need? I will keep my eye open for you.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

oneh2obabe wrote:Good thing B was the employee unpacking the shipment. Did you snag some for your friend?

Off topic ... how is her schooling going?

She's done her schooling, and decided she's happy at the Dollarama. The kid has extended medical and dental there, full-time hours and she has friends at the store. She may do something with it in the future, but for now she's content.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”