Defund the CBC

Should we stop the taxpayers' bailout of CBC?

Yes, they need to make it on their own
54%
No, I want more coverage of Trudeau's socks
46%

Total votes: 210

hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Defund the CBC

Post by hobbyguy »

Sparki55 wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:That in and of itself is a right wing meme that is without merit.

Why does the CBC need to stand on its own? The oil sands don't - they get massive government subsidies both from Ottawa and Edmonton. Wind farms don't. Roads don't. The RCMP doesn't. Sewer systems don't.

It takes but a small amount of thought to see that a media company who tailers conversation to the public in attempts to push a political agenda that is funded by government is a completely separate issue from an industry that contributes 170 billion to Canada's GDP.

Care to explain the link between the two?

It is simple.

The government looks to promote jobs in Canada. The CBC is much smaller than the oil sands - but is just as good an investment in terms of creating jobs.

GDP is a dumb measure anyway. If the price of oil goes from $35 to $43 the GDP of Alberta goes up - and not one single job has been created.

Mining, Quarrying and oil/gas extraction employ 268,000 people in Canada. Agriculture - a much smaller part of GDP (about $42 billion) employs 287,000 people. Arts,entertainer, recreation + Information and Cultural sectors contribute a combined $66 billion of GDP and employ over 780,000 people.

So if you look at the "public good", the CBC is part of a sector that produces about 11,800 jobs per billion GDP versus the oil sands sector that produces 1,800 jobs per billion GDP. Much more bang for the buck by subsidizing CBC than the oil sands.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1410002301

"Defund the CBC" is right wing nonsense. O'Toole used it to help grab a few leadership votes, and it is bogus. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/article-erin-otooles-defund-cbc-plan-is-bogus-policy/
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

Ub2 wrote:The only time CBC had rational, balanced content was from Rex Murphy, and we know what happened to him.

The CBC now is nothing more than another communications arm of the Liberal party.

Oh god. Rex Murphy is far from balanced.
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

Your response makes my point.
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

Ub2 wrote:Your response makes my point.

Prove it. List one article praising the Liberals.

His resume includes:
Climate Change Denier
Racism Denier
Harper social agenda defender
Paid by the oil patch (at least in the past)
Anti-BC because of opposition to pipelines
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

typhoon44 wrote:Prove it.

You should take a lesson from yourself.
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

Post by George Orwell 1984 »

typhoon44 wrote:

His resume includes:
Climate Change Denier
Racism Denier

I hadn’t noticed a lot of racism before 2015 , I wonder why
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

typhoon44 wrote:
Ub2 wrote:The only time CBC had rational, balanced content was from Rex Murphy, and we know what happened to him.

The CBC now is nothing more than another communications arm of the Liberal party.

Oh god. Rex Murphy is far from balanced.

Yes but sure you think that Justin is balanced
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

:topic:

discuss the topic "defund the CBC", not each other. Thanks
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

hobbyguy wrote:"Defund the CBC" is right wing nonsense. O'Toole used it to help grab a few leadership votes, and it is bogus. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/article-erin-otooles-defund-cbc-plan-is-bogus-policy/

Statement after statement with no debate. Even an simpleton such myself knows a debate and proof requires more analysis...

Your "proof" in the article you posted is behind a pay wall. I don't support it and won't be paying to read it.
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

typhoon44 wrote:

How about an interview.

https://www.convivium.ca/articles/the-conversation-no-need-to-shout/
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

typhoon44 wrote:[

His resume includes:
Climate Change Denier

I haven't seen Rex deny that the climate changes. No one would deny that. Are you saying that he questions the unproven scientific hypothesis that man somehow affects the client by releasing CO2 from petroleum? Of course he should question that hypothesis. Everyone should. So really, this is a really silly statement you've made here.

Racism Denier

Whatever this is, it just sounds dumb.

Great! Smart man! What's wrong with this? Harper was a great PM, and a lot of people wish he was still the PM, instead of the moronic loser Justin we have now.

Great! So what? The "oil patch", whatever that is, can't pay people? Why is this a thing?

I'm with him on that one, and I live in BC! Opposition to pipelines is just plain stupid.

Good job Rex, you rock. Defund the CBC!!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Did not JT supply the liberal preference media with some $ , I remember?
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

Post by George Orwell 1984 »

I’m thinking Rex should receive some funding, you know just to keep things balanced. :biggrin: Watch now as the liberal heads are exploding :up:
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

typhoon44 wrote:Paid by the oil patch

That's terrible.

He should have been paid by WE instead.
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Pete Podoski wrote:
That's terrible.

He should have been paid by WE instead.

He doesn't qualify because his last name isn't "Trudeau". Defund the CBC! :up:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Canada”