Toni Boot NDP candidate in next provincial election

RandyDandy
Fledgling

Re: Toni Boot NDP candidate in next provincial election

Post by RandyDandy »

Boot has, by her most recent actions, dissed all the people of Summerland, but especially the ones who voted for her.
She should resign immediately and pay for a by-election. If however, she retains her mayorship and fails at getting a provincial seat, is it her intention to just slide in back into town and be mayor again? I just can't see the people of Summerland being able to let that happen. Shame. Even dogs are taught to not bite the hand that feeds them.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

my5cents wrote:There needs to be some electoral laws set out for civic leaders that at mid term run provincially of federally.

At present there are no such laws in Canada. In some US states the issue is addressed with "Resign to Run" laws that make it plain that a candidate for higher office must step down from a lower elected position. In Canada it's a matter of choice for the candidate. This is going to be an important choice for Ms. Boot, a big indication of her character, and thus whether or not she is deserving of support in the provincial election.

I don't cleave to any one party when it comes to spending my vote, I tend to vote the candidate rather than the party. I voted NDP federally because I know Dick Cannings to be an honourable man, dedicated to the job of representing his electors, a refreshing change in politics these days. I voted Liberal provincially because Dan was the best choice among the locals, and I felt the provincial Liberals had done an okay job of keeping the store open through some tough times. But I have concerns with Ms. Boot's candidacy. I thought her flub with the dollar store flags would have been enough for the provincial NDP to pass her up as a loose cannon, but now I'm scratching my head. They passed up on Doug Holmes's superior experience for what, the flavour of the month ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
old boy
Fledgling

Post by old boy »

My understanding of her position,is that she will continue to be Mayor as long as she doesn't miss 3 consecutive meetings( muni bylaw),which means she will be attempting to do both roles at the same time and continue to be on the city payroll. In my opinion she hasn't done much as Mayor,so wont be missed that much around City Hall and the Council table!! This has always been in the back of her mind and now she is taking advantage of the opportunity to do so, admittedly or not?
As the Mayor she is also Summerlands rep on RDOS,for which she will continue collecting a pay cheque.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

So much for a show of good character.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

old boy wrote:My understanding of her position,is that she will continue to be Mayor as long as she doesn't miss 3 consecutive meetings( muni bylaw),which means she will be attempting to do both roles at the same time and continue to be on the city payroll. In my opinion she hasn't done much as Mayor,so wont be missed that much around City Hall and the Council table!! This has always been in the back of her mind and now she is taking advantage of the opportunity to do so, admittedly or not?
As the Mayor she is also Summerlands rep on RDOS,for which she will continue collecting a pay cheque.

And if she does get a seat at the Provincial table, would she not be “Summerland’s rep”?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Anonymous123 wrote:And if she does get a seat at the Provincial table, would she not be “Summerland’s rep”?

Technically yes, but she would have many, many more to represent in a much greater area so her focus on Summerland would change accordingly.

While her passion for matters of racial equality is evident, what else do you think she could bring to the table that would let her offer some serious competition to Mr. Ashton ?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

fluffy wrote:So much for a show of good character.
you mean her racist part,,,,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

fluffy wrote:So much for a show of good character.

the truth wrote:you mean her racist part,,,,

No.

I mean her "have my cake and eat it too" attitude with regards to choosing not to pass her mayoralty duties to another while she campaigns for the provincial seat.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

pentona wrote:
smoky500 wrote:apparently another candidate (Doug Holmes) had filed nomination papers but they did not have any vote by members to select their representative, the Provincial executive wanted Ms. Boot

It may have been a mistake to select Toni Boot over Doug Holmes (and with no party vote on it) due to the conflict that she created with the retailer in Summerland this year. Grandstanding it was; no question, but it may bite her and the party in the you know where.

I agree.

I know nothing about this lady, other than the story you refer to. But it seemed to me to be an inappropriate way for her to resolve the issue, when she could have simply had a quiet word with the store owner explaining her concern.

Having a Mayor publicly humiliate a local business the way she did, which was merely a publicity stunt to promote herself, was just plain wrong. And it calls into question both this woman’s character and good judgement.

Fortunately I don’t live in her riding, because I do intend to vote NDP in the next Provincial election, and would not want her as my MLA.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Merry wrote:Having a Mayor publicly humiliate a local business the way she did, which was merely a publicity stunt to promote herself, was just plain wrong. And it calls into question both this woman’s character and good judgement.

Exactly. Loose cannon. The provincial NDP have stated that their choice of Ms. Boot over Mr. Holmes was to promote diversity within the party. Given that, and the very slim chance that she will unseat the incumbent, one has to wonder if the party is looking at her as a long term representative.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

I don’t get the “public humiliation” part. Was the video broadcast?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Anonymous123 wrote:I don’t get the “public humiliation” part. Was the video broadcast?

I can't say for sure, there was a Global News Team present at the flag-cutting incident but I can't say if it saw air time or not. There appears to have been some effort to purge the incident from view when the public outcry turned against Ms. Boot. Discussions and posts on local social media disappeared rapidly. But for those who did follow the incident when it was in view there is little doubt that public shaming was her intent.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

https://www.burnslakelakesdistrictnews. ... wsource=cl

She purposely cut up the flags/bandanas right in front of the store.
She did it maliciously in my opinion.
I know I'm not the only one who agrees.
NDP candidate for sure.

https://globalnews.ca/video/7201634/sum ... from-mayor
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

So it is still out there then. The internet can be a pretty big place when it comes to sweeping up a mess. :)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

JagXKR wrote:https://www.burnslakelakesdistrictnews.com/news/video-summerland-mayor-destroys-bandanas-with-confederate-symbol/?jwsource=cl

She purposely cut up the flags/bandanas right in front of the store.
She did it maliciously in my opinion.
I know I'm not the only one who agrees.
NDP candidate for sure.

https://globalnews.ca/video/7201634/sum ... from-mayor

agree 100%
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “BC Provincial Elections 2020”