16 months to BC election - or this October?

Brerrabbit18
Fledgling

Re: 16 months to BC election - or this October?

Post by Brerrabbit18 »

Seems the election is coming.

I don't like the call. I don't see the need.

That being said, as long as Wilkinson is the leader of the Liberals, (Conservatives actually, but that's another thread), Horgan will be the Premier.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

I would have prefered next Fall but..

No prob voting NDP because Andrew Wilkinson' Liberals are really a Conservative party

And He seems to be totally unknown.

The NDP is much closer to true Liberal philosophy.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Seems the Horgan haters don't like the idea of an election during a pandemic. Does this mean there won't still be a pandemic in 2021 when an election has to be called ? I think the truth is that they don't want an election now , because they know the NDP is in a favorable position to win. I'm sure they would like an extra year hoping that things go badly in BC , so that their party at least has a chance.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

gordon_as wrote:Seems the Horgan haters don't like the idea of an election during a pandemic. Does this mean there won't still be a pandemic in 2021 when an election has to be called ? I think the truth is that they don't want an election now , because they know the NDP is in a favorable position to win. I'm sure they would like an extra year hoping that things go badly in BC , so that their party at least has a chance.

I don't mind an election during a pandemic. It would allow us to get rid of the scum at the Federal level. Does Horgan honestly think that he can win? We will see.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Seems like a risky time to call an election with schools reopening and covid cases on the rise. I doubt that the NDP will lose the election regardless but it might not be the blowout that they're hoping for.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#311156

Another NDP bows out. To be fair, this person makes a house plant look intelligent. Why are all the rats leaving the NDP ship right before an election?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Darn leftists, anyhow! The nerve of them asking us to go and vote. Imposing an election on us. It would be different if we were in New Brunswick or Saskatchewan where a right wing gubment called the election, but this is BC and an NDP gubment called the election. It's a living hell having to vote.
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

Frisk wrote:Seems like a risky time to call an election with schools reopening and covid cases on the rise. I doubt that the NDP will lose the election regardless but it might not be the blowout that they're hoping for.

I think the "warm and fuzzy" feeling created by B.C.'s response to COVID, compared to many other areas of the world, along with the fact that the opposition parties are going to be scrambling to present much of a fight, should lead to a majority government for the NDP.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I'm not super thrilled with the election call in the midst of a pandemic, but it probably wouldn't be any better if they ran out their mandate and it's not enough to make me not vote NDP anyway. They're never going to turn the stubbornly conservative southern interior ridings represented on these boards, but I think they will probably win a majority nonetheless.
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

bob vernon wrote:Darn leftists, anyhow! The nerve of them asking us to go and vote. Imposing an election on us. It would be different if we were in New Brunswick or Saskatchewan where a right wing gubment called the election, but this is BC and an NDP gubment called the election. It's a living hell having to vote.

People like Bowin ma are leftists but John Horgan is no leftist , he carried on where the Bclibs left off .
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

My Wife : "so what does this mean". . . Me: "4 more years of Liberal supporters crying and claiming they got cheated , lol "
kellydavies

Post by kellydavies »

They have done a great job on the virus but I think calling a snap election is repugnant.
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

I wonder how many are going to catch the virus going out to vote?
I hope he can sleep at night after this selfish act.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^^

Voting by mail:
All voters in a provincial election can request a vote-by-mail package from Elections BC. Anyone can request one by emailing Elections BC or by calling voter services at 1-800-661-8683.

The completed package must be returned to the district electoral office after the election is called and before 8 p.m. on Oct. 24.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7348676/bc-e ... w-to-vote/
Chill
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Actually, I think the NDP have done a good job and I'd like to see them continue. Having a minority government having to count on the Green party is not a sure fire way of continuing to be government.

The green with a new leader, just another variable.

This is the move I would have taken.

Apparently Elections BC is planning for more than 1/3 of British Columbian to vote by mail, which will help.

Don't forget the number of Liberal and NDP MLAs is tied at 41, with 2 Green and 2 Independent (former Green leader Weaver is one of the independents)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “BC Provincial Elections 2020”