16 months to BC election - or this October?

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: 16 months to BC election - or this October?

Post by Urban Cowboy »

jimmy4321 wrote:I hope this is wrong

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/electio ... -columbia/

As has been said many times, the only poll that matters is the one on election day.

I seem to recall Adrian Dix riding high in the polls also during an election, that was until he opened his mouth and threw it all away close to the end. Heck most NDPers had already taken Dix's rise to Premier as a given.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I applied for my mail in ballot yesterday. Even though I’ve never encountered long lines at the polls, because I’m in a high risk category for Covid, I figured it’s “better to be safe than sorry”. Besides, it saves me turning out on what might turn out to be a blustery fall day.

I hope the polls are correct, and that Horgan’s Government wins another term, because they’ve done a credible job so far, and deserve the opportunity to continue to do so.

I like the fact they’re trying to sort out the mess the Liberals created at ICBC. And I like the fact they’re beginning to tackle some long standing corruption issues such as money laundering. Issues the Liberals were well aware of, but did nothing about. While in Office the NDP have been respectful of the Public purse, and have avoided the kind of major scandals the Liberals were known for. And those are both things that I expect from my Government.

I also like the fact I no longer have to send the Government a cheque for MSP premiums. When I was employed it wasn’t an issue for me because my employer paid it. But once I was retired and on a fixed income, I had to start paying it myself, which felt like a double whammy given that my retirement income is only half of what I used to earn. Far better to pay for our health care via a geared to income method, like income tax, rather than having to pay a fixed amount. Under the old system millionaires and those on average incomes paid exactly the same, so what was a “drop in the bucket” for some, was a real hardship for others. This new system is far better IMO.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Merry wrote:I applied for my mail in ballot yesterday. Even though I’ve never encountered long lines at the polls, because I’m in a high risk category for Covid, I figured it’s “better to be safe than sorry”. Besides, it saves me turning out on what might turn out to be a blustery fall day.

I hope the polls are correct, and that Horgan’s Government wins another term, because they’ve done a credible job so far, and deserve the opportunity to continue to do so.

I like the fact they’re trying to sort out the mess the Liberals created at ICBC. And I like the fact they’re beginning to tackle some long standing corruption issues such as money laundering. Issues the Liberals were well aware of, but did nothing about. While in Office the NDP have been respectful of the Public purse, and have avoided the kind of major scandals the Liberals were known for. And those are both things that I expect from my Government.

I also like the fact I no longer have to send the Government a cheque for MSP premiums. When I was employed it wasn’t an issue for me because my employer paid it. But once I was retired and on a fixed income, I had to start paying it myself, which felt like a double whammy given that my retirement income is only half of what I used to earn. Far better to pay for our health care via a geared to income method, like income tax, rather than having to pay a fixed amount. Under the old system millionaires and those on average incomes paid exactly the same, so what was a “drop in the bucket” for some, was a real hardship for others. This new system is far better IMO.

It’s looking like it may not even be necessary to vote in my riding, so far there’s only one candidate, the incumbent liberal. Rumour has it that the NDP is going to parachute in, or appointed someone who ticks all the gender, racial and equality boxes like they’ve done in the Fraser-Nicola riding.... Call me old fashioned, or old school, but I’d rather candidate’s regardless of whichever political party, represented the demographics of the people in their riding,.. If the NDP is going to run a “politically correct” candidate in a blue-collar riding that depends on the resource sector, their candidate will lose...
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urban Cowboy wrote:
As has been said many times, the only poll that matters is the one on election day.

I seem to recall Adrian Dix riding high in the polls also during an election, that was until he opened his mouth and threw it all away close to the end. Heck most NDPers had already taken Dix's rise to Premier as a given.

Remember when Dix appointed a "liaison" before the election to work with the Premier's office to start planning the transition of power from the Liberals to the NDP? That's how arrogant those guys were. Man were they dopey.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

A message from BCLib Jane Thornwaite on voting
in BC .

https://twitter.com/jthornthwaite/statu ... 65505?s=20
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

My track record of predicting elections is awful. I'm almost always wrong. By the way, I'm predicting an NDP majority.
[icon_lol2.gif]
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Hurtlander wrote:
Merry wrote:I applied for my mail in ballot yesterday. Even though I’ve never encountered long lines at the polls, because I’m in a high risk category for Covid, I figured it’s “better to be safe than sorry”. Besides, it saves me turning out on what might turn out to be a blustery fall day.

It’s looking like it may not even be necessary to vote in my riding, so far there’s only one candidate, the incumbent liberal. Rumour has it that the NDP is going to parachute in, or appointed someone who ticks all the gender, racial and equality boxes like they’ve done in the Fraser-Nicola riding.... Call me old fashioned, or old school, but I’d rather candidate’s regardless of whichever political party, represented the demographics of the people in their riding,.. If the NDP is going to run a “politically correct” candidate in a blue-collar riding that depends on the resource sector, their candidate will lose...

ETA: The Fraser Nicola NDP riding association was forbidden to choose their own candidate, Horgan’s office chose the candidates for them... the entire riding association quit. The NDP has always had a problem with infighting.
Regardless, I thought Carole James did a credible job as finance minister, however she isn’t running again. So why in the hell didn’t Horgan wait until next fall, so Carole James could continue to help get us through these difficult times ? If Horgan wins, I can’t think of any of his current crop of MLA’s that would be a good finance minister.
Póg Mo Thoin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Maybe Carol told him her health wouldn't allow her to stay in Office for another year.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Hurtlander wrote: If Horgan wins, I can’t think of any of his current crop of MLA’s that would be a good finance minister.

You have to be able to do basic math, something no one who is an NDP stalwart could really say is a skill they possess.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Amazing [no amusing] how people seem so upset and angered by Horgan's calling a Provincial election.. it's politics folks, plainn and simple. Getting all twisted out of shape by anything that these politicians do, in order to stay in office, seems a total waste of time and energy. Given the right set of circumstances, even a pet skunk will spray you....LOL.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Every year I tick off the box asking to be placed on the voters list on my income taxes, it’s just that easy.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/311714 ... distancing

I encourage everyone to register to vote & take the time either in advance polls, mail in ballot or on Election Day to cast your vote.
For whomever you believe will be the best local candidate/MLA.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Treblehook wrote: Given the right set of circumstances, even a pet skunk will spray you....LOL.

Unless you remove it's spray glands, then you are pretty safe. LOL

But yes, you make some good points. I liken it to the scorpion and the frog story myself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Merry wrote:Maybe Carol told him her health wouldn't allow her to stay in Office for another year.

Perhaps that’s the case, I just hate to see her leave before absolutely necessary. Personally I feel that Carole James was the level headed moderate glue that kept the party in check.....
Póg Mo Thoin
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Hurtlander wrote:
Merry wrote:Maybe Carol told him her health wouldn't allow her to stay in Office for another year.

Perhaps that’s the case, I just hate to see her leave before absolutely necessary. Personally I feel that Carole James was the level headed moderate glue that kept the party in check.....

Therein lies a problem. 2/3 of the reasonable and competent ministers are not running. Without their voices in cabinet the NDP could, as they have done in the past, repeat their history of going all goofy all the time.

On the plus side, the NDP are also losing a complete twit in Donaldson. But Popham, Travena, Robinson, Ralston and Eby will still be there to lead the goofiness parade - and without the steadier hands of James and Mungall to try to keep them in check.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

hobbyguy wrote:
Therein lies a problem. 2/3 of the reasonable and competent ministers are not running. Without their voices in cabinet the NDP could, as they have done in the past, repeat their history of going all goofy all the time.

On the plus side, the NDP are also losing a complete twit in Donaldson. But Popham, Travena, Robinson, Ralston and Eby will still be there to lead the goofiness parade - and without the steadier hands of James and Mungall to try to keep them in check.

Travena is leaving.

Return to “BC Provincial Elections 2020”