Building a Greenhouse

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Building a Greenhouse

Post by Lady tehMa »

And some of the windows were sold - just not to us. We're grabbing the rest hopefully.

Some of the kits get quite pricey
I haven't failed until I quit.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

do you have to get a permit? Are you putting it near the hose outlet to make it an easier job?
What are you planning on growing or a variety of stuff?
I've only seen the store bought kits.. well except for someone did a home one for their weed :0
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote:do you have to get a permit?

You only need a permit if it is over 100 sq ft. (10'x10') is my understanding.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:
normaM wrote:do you have to get a permit?

You only need a permit if it is over 100 sq ft. (10'x10') is my understanding.

If by-laws come to inspect, just them that it is just "temporary", it will be dismanteled and moved to it's permanent home sometime in the future.......after all the bugs have been worked out of the system.

I can understand the desire for double-glazed windows IF it was going to be used year round and you wanted to keep the heat in during the Winter.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

normaM wrote:do you have to get a permit? Are you putting it near the hose outlet to make it an easier job?
What are you planning on growing or a variety of stuff?
I've only seen the store bought kits.. well except for someone did a home one for their weed :0

Going to run water and electrical to it, or maybe do solar. It will be out in the middle of the yard for taking advantage of the light.

We want to start plants earlier without taking up so much house space, and maybe have plants lasting long, all year even. Possibly do a couple of tender plants - I have a fig that has done nothing for a few years (though keeping that pruned would be key). Sweet potatoes, hot peppers (not my favourite) that sort of thing.

I didn't even think about the permit, thanks Bsuds. I should probably look that up.

We picked up some of the glass today. Big, heavy double-paned windows. Four sheets of 7x4.

The folks who sold us the windows have some sheets of architectural glass - so, not tempered. Not sure if I want to go with something that is easily breakable. But they apparently have a lot of it.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I always think of Qs :) I know that sometimes the City can get bent over the darnest things
Call the Uni or college, I bet you could wrangle students to build it, especially if you were going Solar.
Just remember, I NEED green tomatoes
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

I believe if you build it on a moveable base like a shed, ie: timber, then a permit will not have to be taken out. If attached to the dwelling, then yes. A permanent base would also require a permit if over the 100sq.ft. size. West Kelowna is slightly larger.

I've thought about this for quite some time now. I like the idea of the floor being below the frost line (about 2ft.), concrete or stone foundation walls and then the main structure above ground. But my plan is to heat it with gas and have power in it, so definitely a permanent structure. A wooden frame of sealed PT wood or cedar with double-glazed walls. Wood is a better insulator than metal and the floor being below the frost line would help with heat in the winter and cool in the summer. I'm also considering a conventional roof with glazed panels or skylights and automatic vents. In such a construction, humidity would have to be controled. Lots to consider and I think the design definitely depends on the placement and the intended use. Of course a pre-fad unit would be much simpler, but regardless a worth project.
I birn quil I se
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

:biggrin:

Yeah, we're planning the blocks to be in the ground (excavating that will suck, though). We'll be framing the glass, but we won't attach the frame to the blocks - just sit it on. The glass is SO heavy that it won't be going anywhere.

OH! and get this - we just scored 4 (pyramidal/peaked, not glass but?) skylights that came from a college renovation :biggrin:

We're getting closer to actually building this thing. I was thinking it would happen next year, but it may happen this fall after all . . . I'm feeling pretty excited.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Don't forget to post pictures
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

alanjh595 wrote:
If by-laws come to inspect, just them that it is just "temporary", it will be dismanteled and moved to it's permanent home sometime in the future.......after all the bugs have been worked out of the system.

That's not how bylaw works Alan. They don't care what you say about why it's there, how it got to be there, or what the future intent is (on ANY topic, not just buildings). They determine if it's a temporary building based on their own criteria. Nothing you say to them will change their mind about whether it's temporary or not.

It would take a very fancy greenhouse before they'd designate it as permanent. Generally that criteria is permanent foundation (AKA Cement) and affixed to the foundation. Even if it was on concrete - so long as it's not bolted down and can be easily removed they'll classify it as a temporary building.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Well, if we ever move, it will go with us. Plus, if our situation ever changes it will go to the friend's house, since they are building it with us. Joint ownership.

When we start building, I will definitely take pics.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Not fancy, but there's always the galvanized frames and fabric coverings that can be made virtually any size. Stake them to the ground and dismantle them when it's time to move. Functional but with a commercial look.
I birn quil I se
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Snagged 3 patio doors for free . . . from Princeton. So I ended up taking the day off and friend and I did a trip over (via the connector) and back (via Hedley/Keremeos/Penticton). Without mishap! Plus we did a bit of touring on the way home. We hadn't been to the Keremeos Grist Mill in years - I do enjoy that spot.

The only unfortunate thing was that the person had cut the frames of the sliding glass doors - they were in halves. Which did make it easier to get them home. However, the plan to actually use them as doors won't work - now they'll just be walls. Still looking for a couple of intact patio doors.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

If all goes well, we're grabbing the last patio door today!

Although, not sure if we'll be starting this build this late in the year, or if we'll be doing it in the spring :/
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Weather good for next week or so. If I vote...yes, start it up now. :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown

Return to “Creative Endeavours”