I'll bet you didn't know....

A potpourri of off-topics.
my5cents
Guru

I'll bet you didn't know....

Post by my5cents »

You know when you buy a bottle of liquor at the liquor store and there is a little plastic 1½ oz free sample bottle attached ? My wife actually bought a 40 oz bottle yesterday and there were two attached.

If you check your bill you'll see that that "free" sample cost you 10¢ each for deposit. Now, I'm not saying a free bottle of liquor, even if it's a 1½ oz one, isn't nice. But in the past I've thrown them away, I "just knew" there was no deposit on such a tiny bottle.

Yup,,, 10¢.

Anyone else got any other tid bits of information ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: I'll bet you didn't know....

Post by normaM »

be damned.. never noticed before, thanks
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

No idea if they had a deposit but used to be able to purchase mini bottles of various spirits (namely Kirsch for Black Forest Cake). Saved me having a cupboard full of full-size bottles when you only needed an ounce or two.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

oneh2obabe wrote:No idea if they had a deposit but used to be able to purchase mini bottles of various spirits (namely Kirsch for Black Forest Cake). Saved me having a cupboard full of full-size bottles when you only needed an ounce or two.

Well after you've used them, put the bottle with the other bottles you take back for a refund.

I made a joke last time my wife and I went to take our bottles back "hey we should ask for a deposit back on these", she laughed and I threw them in the paper and plastic recycle bin.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Should have clarified - this was in Ontario. When I asked at a couple of liquour stores here their response was - we don't carry mini bottles, buy the full-size.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I liked the mini size.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

You can still buy the little ones at BC liquor stores. They are around 2 bux each.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Thanks - will take a look next time I'm in or near a store or have my friend look - she's in the store more than I am.

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

A few years ago we had a relative that was over in Afghanistan for a tour, and in his letters he was complaining about not having much access to alcohol.
So in the process of putting a care parcel together for him, I dropped in at the local government liquor store and talked to the manager, asking him if they had extra mini-bottles. As well, I told him who they were for.
Well to my surprise he rounded up about a half dozen for me, and gave them to me, free. :up:

Into the care parcel they went and off to some strange address in Ottawa to be forwarded to Afghanistan. Which didn't happen.

A few weeks later we received a very threatening letter from the Ministry of Defense, accusing us of "bootlegging", and talked about the sins of shipping alcohol to it's members overseas. :200:

So our cousin never received the alcohol, but we found out later he spent a very enjoyable month in the Bahamas on his way home. No sympathy for him.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

As i was reading about the mini bottle shipment, I’m thinking that there’s no way they make it to your soldier. Those parcels ar very closely inspected and booze is considered contraband.

The crappy thing is that someone in Ottawa land took them home and enjoyed them on your behalf. Probably the same person who sent you the nasty letter.

The rules around alcohol in this country are ridiculous.

I bought a duty free bottle of rum in Chicago a few years back. Cost about a quarter of what the same bottle would cost here. Checked on the plane in the sealed bag, flew to Vancouver and promptly put it on the conveyor to go through the machine only to be told that in order to bring it home, it had to be in my checked bag, which of course was gone.

I literally put it into a garbage can at security after a lengthy and pointless argument on my part and walked away, swiping my tears quietly.

I guarantee that one of them retrieved the bottle and took it home and had a merry old time.

Life ain’t fair.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Grab Bag”