Suicide Hill

gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Suicide Hill

Post by gardengirl »

Ok. What is this? Seriously!
I am not aware of anyone who has taken their life on this strip of 30th ave.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/31 ... e-the-name

I guess we can't refer to suicide doors on old cars either.
Sheesh. If this guy is so triggered by the pet name of this strip of road, he needs some serious therapy.
I am not unsympathetic that he lost his daughter, but really???? I guess he needs to campaign against Suicide Squad too.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Suicide Hill

Post by GordonH »

Suicide Hill was similar to parts of chase scene in classic movie Bullitt, downhill on San Francisco streets.

The current street in Vernon isn’t even close to what I remember.

btw the hardest face run on Silver Star as a kid was also known as suicide.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

gardengirl wrote:Ok. What is this? Seriously!

Sheesh. If this guy is so triggered by the pet name of this strip of road, he needs some serious therapy.
I am not unsympathetic that he lost his daughter, but really???? I guess he needs to campaign against Suicide Squad too.

You sound incredibly unsympathetic. The fact that you even needed to write in about it bothers me actually. And he may very well have had to go through therapy after going through something as traumatic as I'm sure that would have been.. and your last comment sounds as if you're making light of the situation. There's a time and a place to comment on things and there's a time and a place to not comment on things. My opinion you picked the wrong time to comment
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 5th, 2020, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

common_sense_guy wrote:
gardengirl wrote:Ok. What is this? Seriously!

You sound incredibly unsympathetic. The fact that you even needed to write in about it bothers me actually. And he may very well have had to go through therapy after going through something as traumatic as I'm sure that would have been.. and your last comment sounds as if you're making light of the situation. There's a time and a place to comment on things and there's a time and a place to not comment on things. My opinion you picked the wrong time to comment

bla bla bla should we call it happy hill then, my god how did the rest every survive before this , we all have ptsd bs, its not ptsd people is called life is hard sometimes and ya it sucks,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Changing the name won't bring his daughter back. Better to focus on raising suicide awareness so other kids don't kill themselves, in my opinion.
Last edited by Glacier on Oct 6th, 2020, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Unless she committed suicide on the actual hill then leave the name alone. Where does it end? First its a name of a hill, then a movie title like "Suicide Squad ", then an outright ban of the word.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

should the hill now be removed, its the hills fault , what next :cuss:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Here's a question for all you people that don't like the idea of changing the name. If you were hanging out with some friends whose child committed suicide would you go out of your way to not use the word suicide in conversation? I bet you would. So why is this any different. ? And it's a little different to have a road named in the town you live like that as it is to fight against the word like suicide doors. Do you have an attachment to their name Suicide Hill? Does it really mean that much to you that you feel the need to fight against a change like that.?.
And no they don't have to start Banning other names like suicide doors as some of you pointed out. There's a huge difference in the frequency that word comes up in everyday life when you live in a town with a road named like that and other words in the English language that have suicide in them. But of course you are all entitled to your opinion and that's why we live in Canada. And it's my opinion that people that want to fight against that have no compassion or cannot see things from anybody's point of view but their own until it happens to you
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

what a load of verbal diarrhea
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

common_sense_guy wrote:Here's a question for all you people that don't like the idea of changing the name. If you were hanging out with some friends whose child committed suicide would you go out of your way to not use the word suicide in conversation? I bet you would.

Having 3 young people kill themselves over the last 2 years within in our small social circle, the word "suicide" is not tip toed around.
common_sense_guy wrote:So why is this any different. ?

It's stupid and pointless.
common_sense_guy wrote:And it's a little different to have a road named in the town you live like that as it is to fight against the word like suicide doors. Do you have an attachment to their name Suicide Hill?

The road is named 30th Ave. Suicide Hill is merely an unofficial nickname used by locals. Not sure how one can petition renaming something that hasn't been officially named.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Exactly OKkayak.
It's not as though there are road signs with Suicide Hill written on them. It has been the local nickname for that few blocks for as long as I can remember.
I lost an uncle and a cousin to suicide, but it never occurred to me to be offended or upset in any way by a nickname for a street.
If you really read the article, it looks more like a sad attempt to get attention for an upcoming event.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

With changes to that section of 30th ave, suicide hill nickname is generally to those who remember coming down.... do I hit the brakes before 27th st or chance it.

btw I remember drivers using 27th st would slow down on Fridays & Saturday evenings knowing that someone may whip threw 30th ave aka Suicide Hill.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

GordonH wrote:With changes to that section of 30th ave, suicide hill nickname is generally to those who remember coming down.... do I hit the brakes before 27th st or chance it.

That makes sense, I could really see it being an issue earlier in your life.
For those who don't know, the first mass produced factory equipped cars with both front and rear brakes weren't produced until something like 1929. I believe it was Ford with this radical invention.
Even then they just weren't that good.
So yes, that hill would have been scary especially when you were young Gordon.

Not having grown up in Vernon, I would have thought it was a skateboarder term.
I know some will name a hill as a precaution to inexperienced skaters.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

the truth wrote:should the hill now be removed, its the hills fault , what next :cuss:

Exactly. *bleep* is next.

Return to “North Okanagan”