NDP Rent Freeze and Renters Rebate

outtawind
Fledgling

NDP Rent Freeze and Renters Rebate

Post by outtawind »

So - your vote is for sale if you are willing to sell it to the NDP. The cost is only that you have a very short-term memory and vision of where our province can be.

What a cheap and manipulative way to buy votes, shame on you Horgan. You 'take it to the middle-man' while ignoring that all those from whom you are stealing this money (the property owners) are still liable to the banks for their payments.

This is incredibly narrow-minded and cowardly - if you want to take stand and buy votes, go ask the banks to forgive loans, don't steal more money from hardworking landlords in BC in a power and vote-grab attempt.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#313170
Last edited by Catsumi on Oct 13th, 2020, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link added
Thebrewhouse
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: NDP Rent Freeze and Renters Rebate

Post by Thebrewhouse »

outtawind wrote:So - your vote is for sale if you are willing to sell it to the NDP. The cost is only that you have a very short-term memory and vision of where our province can be.

What a cheap and manipulative way to buy votes, shame on you Horgan. You 'take it to the middle-man' while ignoring that all those from whom you are stealing this money (the property owners) are still liable to the banks for their payments.

This is incredibly narrow-minded and cowardly - if you want to take stand and buy votes, go ask the banks to forgive loans, don't steal more money from hardworking landlords in BC in a power and vote-grab attempt.

I would be absolutely stunned if the NDP got elected in the Okanagan Liberal strongholds.

That being said the NDP seems to be moving forward to a majority government win, no matter how much anyone jumps up and down.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

outtawind wrote:So - your vote is for sale if you are willing to sell it to the NDP.

Perhaps one might say the same regarding the Liberals where Wilkinson as promised to cancel the PST for a year.

Not an NDP supporter and a rent freeze seems the government is sticking their nose too far into private business's.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

outtawind wrote:So - your vote is for sale if you are willing to sell it to the NDP.

As I recall, the bidding for my vote opened with an offer of no PST for a year.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

So, the rent freeze refers to inflation rate of raising rates every year for the same tenants, not what landlords do in between tenants?
outtawind
Fledgling

Post by outtawind »

seewood wrote:

Perhaps one might say the same regarding the Liberals where Wilkinson as promised to cancel the PST for a year.

Not an NDP supporter and a rent freeze seems the government is sticking their nose too far into private business's.

The idea is the same - but the target is 100% different. At least the liberals give the whole province a break and take the pain directly with less cash coming in to deal with budgets.

The NDP is unwilling to reduce their cash intake and forces landlords to pay for their votes. NDP is all about pitting citizens against citizens - trumplike - making it seem like being a property owner makes you a greedy person.
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

Horgan has know common sense, if a landlord can't raise rent to pay their expenses they end up selling as I am doing. The result long term tenants will now have to look for another place as no investors will buy to lose money. Now there will be less properties to rent putting more people on the street homeless. Nice move NDP.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Renting out living space is like any other business, if you can't cover expenses and maintain a competitive price for your product it might just be time to get out.

Rental prices have gone from stupid to ridiculous over the past couple of decades, I have no problem with seeing the brakes applied there.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Bozz wrote:Horgan has know common sense, if a landlord can't raise rent to pay their expenses they end up selling as I am doing. The result long term tenants will now have to look for another place as no investors will buy to lose money. Now there will be less properties to rent putting more people on the street homeless. Nice move NDP.

Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.

I'm pretty sure the Government can take over your job and cut the profit margin right out. Below Market rentals made Canada great during the 50s,60s,70s and 80s right up until Mulroney thought it would be better to give "tax credits to developers" and the rest is history.

Now you'll have to get a real job!
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Vacancyrate wrote:
Bozz wrote:Horgan has know common sense, if a landlord can't raise rent to pay their expenses they end up selling as I am doing. The result long term tenants will now have to look for another place as no investors will buy to lose money. Now there will be less properties to rent putting more people on the street homeless. Nice move NDP.

Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.

I'm pretty sure the Government can take over your job and cut the profit margin right out. Below Market rentals made Canada great during the 50s,60s,70s and 80s right up until Mulroney thought it would be better to give "tax credits to developers" and the rest is history.

Now you'll have to get a real job!

WTH is a "below market rental" for 30 years?

Are you saying that the rental rate was below some imaginary "market rate" for 30 years?

Seems to me for 30 years rentals we're rented at market rates that you PERSONALLY find affordable for the time.

:digging:
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Vacancyrate wrote:I'm pretty sure the Government can take over your job and cut the profit margin right out.

Of course they can.

Why not do that for everything then? Why not have the government run everything for no profit? They can run the grocery store, the rentals, the bars, the airlines, the taxis, the bakeries...

Wonder what happens after nobody has a profit to spend at any of the government stores :biggrin: [icon_lol2.gif]
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It’s called nonprofits organizations i.e Knights of Columbus... Society of Hope etc... etc
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Sparki55 wrote:
Why not do that for everything then? Why not have the government run everything for no profit? They can run the grocery store, the rentals, the bars, the airlines, the taxis, the bakeries...

Like the hospitals? Police? Fire Department? The courts?

You sound like an American medical insurance company.

From World War II to the 1980's the Canadian government produced tons of rental housing. It had nothing to do with profit it was just about providing people with below-market rentals. I'm sure you've been in an apartment building that has a plaque in the lobby seeing how the building was built with taxpayer dollars that's what I'm talking about. Do a little history research and find out how many millions of units were created under this program in Canada up until Brian Mulroney decided to give it to his private developer friends.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Vancouver has quite a few co-op buildings, with some being below market. People wait for years to get into them.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Even Steven wrote:Vancouver has quite a few co-op buildings, with some being below market. People wait for years to get into them.

There are some subsidized housing developments in Penticton that are similarly full with long waiting lists. This used to be the territory of Service Clubs, Kinsmen, Kiwanis, etc. but land prices have pushed things out of their reach as well. I have a thought that some of them limit the time a tenant can stay to a few years, sort of a stepping-stone arrangement to let people get it together to move back into the open market.

Still, the market for rental prices has moved out of reach for lower income people/families. This is another manifestation of an out-of-control income distribution. Some local governments have moved toward something called "inclusionary housing", where developers of multi-family buildings are required to include a percentage of "affordable" units as part of the permit process. Another route would be a progressive property tax, where high value properties pay a higher rate, with the extra money going into subsidized housing.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “BC Provincial Elections 2020”