Oddball Stuff You Should Know

A potpourri of off-topics.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

One helluva journey ... no food, no sleep, no bathroom breaks.

A 12,000-kilometre non-stop round-the-world flight from Alaska to New Zealand would tire out even the most seasoned air traveller, without the help of a snack, a nap or some distracting entertainment. For the male bar-tailed godwit, on the other hand, it’s a piece of cake.

Bar-tailed Godwit.jpg

© Provided by National Post Scientists believe the bar-tailed godwit does not sleep on its long journeys, despite flapping its wings non-stop

Scientists say the bird has set a new world record for avian non-stop flight, after tracking its route over 11 days from southwest Alaska to a bay near Auckland, flying at speeds of up to 55 km/h.

“They are designed like a jet fighter. Long, pointed wings and a really sleek design which gives them a lot of aerodynamic potential,” Dr. Jesse Conklin told the Guardian of the bird’s feat. Conklin is a scientist with the Global Flyaway Network , a worldwide partnership between researchers who study epic migratory patterns.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/a ... d=msedgdhp
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

What an amazing bird, however I would be very surprised if they don't take Bathroom Breaks along the way [icon_lol2.gif]

I hope you don't mind me posting something I found amazing too.
Polar bears (Ursus maritimus) are capable of swimming incredible distances, according to a new study published in Zoology, which recorded polar bears regularly swimming over 30 miles (48 kilometers) and, in one case, as far as 220 miles (354 kilometers). The researchers believe the ability of polar bears to tackle such long-distance swims may help them survive as seasonal sea ice vanishes due to climate change.

Taken from here
https://news.mongabay.com/2012/05/just- ... bear-swim/
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Oddball Stuff You Should Know

Post by Catsumi »

AC4DCE1E-692E-41AC-95C1-39F8AB198821.jpeg
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

CCC5F9D2-EE38-4446-A1FD-320FF03B4D99.jpeg
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Love weird stuff like this ( head crammed full of odd knowledge)
I will spare you the pictures but my women - look why Chainsaws were invented

"Two doctors invented the chainsaw in 1780 to make the removal of pelvic bone easier and less time-consuming during childbirth. It was powered by a hand crank and looked like a modern-day kitchen knife with little teeth on a chain that wound in an oval. ... Here is the first surgical chainsaw used for those symphysiotomies."
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Elephants are the only animals that can snorkel without aid. By holding the tips of their trunks above the water's surface, elephants can traverse rivers totally submerged. They simply walk across the riverbed.

Elephants-snorkeling-across-Chobe-River-L.jpg
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I think that is where we got the idea, now known as "snorkeling".
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I think that is where we got the idea, now known as "snorkeling".
oneh2obabe wrote:Elephants are the only animals that can snorkel without aid. By holding the tips of their trunks above the water's surface, elephants can traverse rivers totally submerged. They simply walk across the riverbed.

Elephants-snorkeling-across-Chobe-River-L.jpg

Now we all know where the word "snork" came from.

Bring back the LIKE button.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I recently learned that some of the world's largest Lakes, Rivers and Waterfalls are located Underwater :200:
Although you really don't want to swim in most of them.

There are 10 amazing examples in this 12 minute video
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

No wonder he went by his last name. Pablo Picasso’s full name was:

Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso

stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

oldtrucker wrote:If you were landing a C-172 into a 60 knot headwind, you would land going backwards.

Not a C172 but you get the idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vP13XPMNfc

That is cool,

Who needs Landing Gear when you have a Nissan Frontier pickup truck

And yes you can land a plane on a moving truck.

I don't recommend trying it with a tunnel ahead :biggrin:
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

oldtrucker wrote:
stuphoto wrote:Who needs Landing Gear when you have a Nissan Frontier pickup truck
[icon_lol2.gif]

Please tell me you don't believe that vid is real.
I've seen that same act at the Abbottsford Airshow, it's really real.
Black Dogs Matter
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

stuphoto wrote: Who needs Landing Gear when you have a Nissan Frontier pickup truck
This is a 20 year old video, but rather funny; DC-10 Emergency Landing on Road; nose settles on car

Video was privately made on a $300 budget.

The story of the video: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/405_(film)
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

oldtrucker wrote:
dogspoiler wrote: I've seen that same act at the Abbottsford Airshow, it's really real.
Ya the airshow vid is but the other one with the CGI 727(?) landing on the pickup-...no.
I do wonder if a pickup could be modified to handle the speed, weight and sudden impact.

Return to “Grab Bag”