BC Election 2020 - Leaders' Debate tonight.

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

BC Election 2020 - Leaders' Debate tonight.

Post by fluffy »

The only televised leader's will start tonight at 6:30 PM.

Find out where to watch it here:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=BC+Leaders%27+debate+where+to+watch
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
cyruslosco66
Banned

Re: BC Election 2020 - Leaders' Debate tonight.

Post by cyruslosco66 »

Lol Wilkinson just said on tv that he would go with wind and solar as he thinks oil n gas are finished

:135:
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

I had a pretty good laugh when one of the candidates was speaking about the importance of diversity in offering perspectives. Apparently if we've never been black, or never been a woman, or never been young, we can't know what it's like for people who ...
:spitcoffee:
Oops. Took the virtue signalling a little too far.

Seems to me there's a ridiculous amount of stereotyping involved in this nonsense.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I believe Sonia spoke very well tonight and her subtle Horgan jabs surely didn’t go unnoticed. Horgan looked confused at times, especially when having to answer why he and his party would call an election at this time. I saw a more confident and to the point Andrew Wilkinson tonight. He too took some shots at Horgan that seemed to catch The Premier off guard. A lot of undecided voters out there .. this I’m sure will help many make a better informed decision. To bad Sonias running for the Greens.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

rustled wrote:I had a pretty good laugh when one of the candidates was speaking about the importance of diversity in offering perspectives. Apparently if we've never been black, or never been a woman, or never been young, we can't know what it's like for people who ...

Seems to me there's a ridiculous amount of stereotyping involved in this nonsense.

For what it's worth, I thought the question was a little muddled. (May-be I didn't understand it) Asking three white people about their experiences that prepare them to deal with systemic racism? A hobson's choice that leads to an answer no-one could say out loud without creating howls. (None)

One undershot, one overshot and one tripped over the "wrong answer". But, the "wrong answer" only because it has been used too often, for far too long.
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Oct 13th, 2020, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Drip_Torch wrote:
rustled wrote:I had a pretty good laugh when one of the candidates was speaking about the importance of diversity in offering perspectives. Apparently if we've never been black, or never been a woman, or never been young, we can't know what it's like for people who ...

For what it's worth, I thought the question was a little muddled. (May-be I didn't understand it) Asking three white people about their experiences that prepare them to deal with systemic racism? A hobson's choice that leads to an answer no-one could say out loud without it creating howls. (None)

One undershot, one overshot and one tripped over the wrong answer.

Yeah, it was a weird one. But that bit about "if you've never been young" really made my evening much merrier.

I missed a lot of the debate - listening while driving around to do errands, so only got chunks of it.

Furstenau sure wasn't about to let Horgan off the hook for calling the election - came back to it a few times.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

There certainly was a couple "hello Sonia Furstenau" moments for me. 100% on attitude.

I think with the US elections going on right now, the negative hits just cause me to glaze over and tune out. I'm really watching for those positive, collaborative, refreshing moments, where candidates really show the desire to work together for all of BC.

:130:
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Drip_Torch wrote:

For what it's worth, I thought the question was a little muddled. (May-be I didn't understand it) Asking three white people about their experiences that prepare them to deal with systemic racism? A hobson's choice that leads to an answer no-one could say out loud without creating howls. (None)

One undershot, one overshot and one tripped over the "wrong answer". But, the "wrong answer" only because it has been used too often, for far too long.

I thought it was a dumb question - more appropriate to the US election. It would make sense to ask questions more specific to major issues in BC.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

southy wrote:I believe Sonia spoke very well tonight and her subtle Horgan jabs surely didn’t go unnoticed. Horgan looked confused at times, especially when having to answer why he and his party would call an election at this time.

I thought Sonia did very well. Not that I'd ever vote Green but I was impressed by her showing.

I saw a more confident and to the point Andrew Wilkinson tonight.

:135: That must have been when I went to the bathroom.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Drip_Torch wrote:There certainly was a couple "hello Sonia Furstenau" moments for me. 100% on attitude.

I think with the US elections going on right now, the negative hits just cause me to glaze over and tune out. I'm really watching for those positive, collaborative, refreshing moments, where candidates really show the desire to work together for all of BC.

:130:

You mean like they were doing before Horgan decided to call the election? :135:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Horgan doesn't seem to realize there's no acceptable answer.
NDP Leader John Horgan is trying to clarify an answer he gave on white privilege during Tuesday night's leaders debate in the B.C. election.

In a statement issued on Twitter, Horgan says he wished he had given a different answer when the three party leaders were asked how they have reckoned with white privilege.

Horgan answered by sharing his experience playing lacrosse as a youth, saying he doesn't see colour.

Liberal Leader Andrew Wilkinson discussed his time working in rural B.C. as a doctor in Indigenous communities.

The Green party's Sonia Furstenau said she cannot comprehend that some mothers tell their children to be wary of the police.

But Horgan later revised his answer on Twitter, admitting it could have upset people.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/313334 ... -privilege

While those of us who grew up being taught not to stereotype found his answer perfectly reasonable, the woke require him to see stereotype. No more of this seeing people as individuals first - he must use prejudice to determine what their life experience must have been as per the colour of their skin. So now we see him trying to give the politically correct answer instead of the honest one that actually reflects more respect than the PC one. It comes off as "what do I have to say to make it ok with the woke crowd?"
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

I had to go back and write down the question.

It was framed as a personal question around racism and inclusion. Personally, I'm of the mind, fair enough. I was born into a country that I'm certainly of the opinion has ongoing issues of systemic racism and I do understand the concept of white privilege. I do understand how I may have benefited over the decades.

The question was...

"This has been a time of tough conversations about the inclusion and treatment of those that are black, and indigenous and people of colour. How have you personally reckoned with your own privilege and unconscious bias as a white political leader?"

(*raspberry sound*) I'm very anti-racist, far too old to be woke, but very aware of the issues. I wouldn't get full marks on this exam question because I'm dealing with a conscious bias in the question. The assumption all white people hold an unconscious bias that plays against black; indigenous, or generally, people of colour?

That's a bias as far as I'm concerned.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Drip_Torch wrote:I had to go back and write down the question.

It was framed as a personal question around racism and inclusion. Personally, I'm of the mind, fair enough. I was born into a country that I'm certainly of the opinion has ongoing issues of systemic racism and I do understand the concept of white privilege. I do understand how I may have benefited over the decades.

The question was...

"This has been a time of tough conversations about the inclusion and treatment of those that are black, and indigenous and people of colour. How have you personally reckoned with your own privilege and unconscious bias as a white political leader?"

(*raspberry sound*) I'm very anti-racist, far too old to be woke, but very aware of the issues. I wouldn't get full marks on this exam question because I'm dealing with a conscious bias in the question. The assumption all white people hold an unconscious bias that plays against black; indigenous, or generally, people of colour?

That's a bias as far as I'm concerned.

I think that's one of the big problems in this country right now - the assumption that if you're white, you're privileged and racist, as suggested by this question. I'm actually kind of offended that the question was phrased in that way. Just another stupid generalization with no basis in reality - not unlike the ACAB movement. I have to give all the leaders credit for handling it the way they did because it was a loaded question and not fair (in my opinion).
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

A lot of the flak flying around today over that question strikes me as misdirected. The question was framed as toward the leader's personal experiences, and from that viewpoint they answered appropriately. But the criticism today is attacking them from the context of their responsibility as a leader to deal with systemic racism as it exists around us now. Two different questions in my mind. techrtr nails it above, the are being treated today as if being white is a moral crime in itself, which when you look at it closely is racist in its own right.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Horgan answered by sharing his experience playing lacrosse as a youth, saying he doesn't see colour.
Isn't that a good think, that when he's playing sports he doesn't see colour?
Horgan goes up against an opposing coloured player and doesn't see him as being coloured? And he has to apologize for that?

What a :cuss: world we live in.

Btw I didn't watch the debate.
I have no interest in these debates, and even less when there are questions of desperation.

Horgan, you are a fool for apologizing.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “BC Provincial Elections 2020”