Dr. Jordan Peterson is Home From His Benzodiazepines Battle

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Delta Dra 7187
Fledgling

Dr. Jordan Peterson is Home From His Benzodiazepines Battle

Post by Delta Dra 7187 »

"As some may know and others may not . . .."

Recently I looked at Dr. Peterson's site when I was searching for information and counselling regarding a family situation.

I like people who learn . . ..

His programs look interesting.

Discovering Personality
http://courses.jordanbpeterson.com/personality

Self Authoring
http://www.selfauthoring.com/

Personality Assessment For Individuals
http://www.understandmyself.com/
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Dr. Jordan Peterson is Home From His Benzodiazepines Bat

Post by stuphoto »

I don't know anything about him, but I like how humbling his video is.
Having a doctor personally experiencing the adverse effects from a formerly respected prescription drug, and talking about the experience is nice to see.
Delta Dra 7187
Fledgling

Post by Delta Dra 7187 »

I just dipped into this.

And I dissed Elon Musk elsewhere on this forum.

But, boy, I'll never do that again. [icon_lol2.gif]

Now I'm going to watch the whole thing tomorrow.

stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Elon has big shoulders and can handle getting dissed from time to time.
All great thinkers going against the common practices at the time do.
Just look at Nichola Tesla himself. 100+ years later we are just starting to explore some of his theories and inventions.

I have a very slow internet connection where I am at and won't be watching most of your videos until I get home.
Looking forward to watching them then.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

https://www.foxnews.com/media/penguin-r ... erson-book

Penguin Random House staffers broke down in tears over release of Jordan Peterson book: report
Employees cried to management at a town hall addressing the book's release in March
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister

Post by Staredintoabyss »

featfan wrote:https://www.foxnews.com/media/penguin-random-house-staffers-reportedly-breaking-down-crying-over-publishers-release-of-jordan-peterson-book

Penguin Random House staffers broke down in tears over release of Jordan Peterson book: report
Employees cried to management at a town hall addressing the book's release in March

It is mindblasting that a man who is essentially a specialized self help guru for emotionally broken men and women and the men and women who want to help them, is being typecast and reacted to in such extreme ways that don't align with anything he has actually done or said.

His big sin seems to be, based on the fact that it gets brought up frequently, that he actually sees boys and men as being capable of innocence and wants to help them overcome their broken hearts and spirits to be better more self aware and responsible men.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I'm pretty sure I saw him tell people that they could only quit smoking by having a religious experience, and to take drugs to get that experience.

Great self help!
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Omnitheo wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw him tell people that they could only quit smoking by having a religious experience, and to take drugs to get that experience.

Great self help!

He doesn't believe in God and doesn't go to church, so not sure that's something he would say.

I had to laugh about this one though.

127658867_10159092022501202_6697349886883196384_n.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister

Omnitheo wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw him tell people that they could only quit smoking by having a religious experience, and to take drugs to get that experience.

Great self help!

There is a growing body of research and evidence showing that certain kinds of psychedelic experiences can be helpful in changing peoples behaviour patterns towards addiction.

Ayahuasca and Iboga being some more extreme examples that have this evidence around them.

So Peterson was being a good scientist mentioning research on the topic. He himself also preaches caution around such substances and references research to back up that position as well, one of the biggies being that psychadelic use seems to cause a permanent one standard deviation movement towards openness as a trait.

So you seem to just be belittling something because you don't understand it not because of the substance of what was being said.

Do you have some kind of personal issue with Peterson that is leading you to interpret him in a meaningfully ungracious fashion?
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

It is interesting how a Dr would take these drugs knowing how addictive they are. He is a psychologist, its no secret that Benzo's can mess someone up.
Good to hear he kicked it and cleaned up.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Glacier wrote:

Great self help!

Sorry, a "Mystical experience"

Perhaps a drug addict shouldn't be telling others to take drugs to better themselves
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

He should go on Joe Rogan, they'd get along well
Delta Dra 7187
Fledgling

Post by Delta Dra 7187 »

Delta Dra 7187 wrote:"Self Authoring

My 'mystical experience' with Dr. Jordan Peterson.
Delta Dra 7187
Fledgling

Post by Delta Dra 7187 »

My 'mystical experience' with Dr. Jordan Peterson.

Delta Dra 7187 wrote:"

Self Authoring

Ties into this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=86541
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister

Omnitheo wrote:Perhaps a drug addict shouldn't be telling others to take drugs to better themselves

My earlier post invalidated this self indulgent character assassination attempt you are making here.

Also are you victim shaming someone who had a powerful negative reaction to medications that are very commonly prescribed in North America for anxiety?

The reason he had such a hard time is that he wanted to become clean of them, the reason he had to look internationally is that the practice in North America is just to keep people on such drugs.

You are really coming across in poor character here.

Return to “Social Concerns”