Congratulations to Horgan and the NDP Majority

dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Congratulations to Horgan and the NDP Majority

Post by dsldriver »

While I am an avid NDP supporter, especially this election for the work they have done during the pandemic, I am glad to see that the Liberals held their seats in Kelowna. I am caustiously optimistic that a majority NDP government will steer this province in the right direction. Good governemnt will still listen and understand the oppositions stand point and make an informed decision about the wishes of the entire province. Majority governments are not necessarily a good thing. It means the party in power can pretty much do what they want.

Congratulations to John Horgan and the NDP. Keep it real, and keep your ears and eyes open.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Capture.JPG

ROFLMAO :200: :biggrin: :D
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

liisgo wrote:It is actually so hard to believe that we still see people and politicians celebrity their wins like the people voted for you on the bases of your good for us. Give it a break. Your votes came from a decision of "who is the least worse", not that your "who is going to be better". Our lack of anyone in politics for the last few decades, that is actually capable, brilliant and strong enough to lead us out of the massive mess our country and province's are in is so pathetically sad. Our system has and will continue to fail and ruin us.
Any one thinking this election will provide anything different than the norm is an absolute joke.
In 4 more years we will be further in the hole, more confused with less direction and far more debt.
More individualism, more conflict, more victims.
No one voted, OK maybe a few fools, someone that they really believe can "turn us around for the better", into power.
We all voted for the lesser of evil. The lesser of failure.
We need a skilled mind, a master of change and ability. We did not have that option when we voted.
We voted the least loser into power.

Speak for yourself. Of course this election will provide "the norm", we RE-elected the incumbent government...which largely speaks to the fact that a plurality of us think they're doing a good job of governing. I definitely did not get the sense in this election that it was a least-of-the-evils choice for a lot of people.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

dsldriver wrote:While I am an avid NDP supporter, especially this election for the work they have done during the pandemic, I am glad to see that the Liberals held their seats in Kelowna. I am caustiously optimistic that a majority NDP government will steer this province in the right direction. Good governemnt will still listen and understand the oppositions stand point and make an informed decision about the wishes of the entire province. Majority governments are not necessarily a good thing. It means the party in power can pretty much do what they want.

Congratulations to John Horgan and the NDP. Keep it real, and keep your ears and eyes open.

Unfortunately I don't share your optimism, reason for that is in bold particularly the last sentence.

Watch the public service sector payroll increase like never before, because at the end of the day a leopard can't change its spots.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Don't worry, your Liberals will return in 4 years' time and you can watch the Liberals ensure the rich get richer, the middle incomers get the shaft, the poor stay poor but all the friends of the Liberal party will be enriched once more.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

liisgo wrote:It is actually so hard to believe that we still see people and politicians celebrity their wins like the people voted for you on the bases of your good for us. Give it a break. Your votes came from a decision of "who is the least worse", not that your "who is going to be better". Our lack of anyone in politics for the last few decades, that is actually capable, brilliant and strong enough to lead us out of the massive mess our country and province's are in is so pathetically sad. Our system has and will continue to fail and ruin us.
Any one thinking this election will provide anything different than the norm is an absolute joke.
In 4 more years we will be further in the hole, more confused with less direction and far more debt.
More individualism, more conflict, more victims.
No one voted, OK maybe a few fools, someone that they really believe can "turn us around for the better", into power.
We all voted for the lesser of evil. The lesser of failure.
We need a skilled mind, a master of change and ability. We did not have that option when we voted.
We voted the least loser into power.

Catri wrote:Speak for yourself. Of course this election will provide "the norm", we RE-elected the incumbent government...which largely speaks to the fact that a plurality of us think they're doing a good job of governing. I definitely did not get the sense in this election that it was a least-of-the-evils choice for a lot of people.

By my thinking, all it speaks to is the fact that many such as yourself, appear to forget that there's a huge huge difference between a minority government and a majority.

Let's see at the end of four years, of doing whatever the NDP wants, if you still feel they are doing such a good job, with no one having the power to hold them to account.

This Covid-19 will be used as a handy excuse to spend money like drunken sailors, and we well know that math is not, nor has it ever been, an NDP strong suit.

If ever there was a time fitting the phrase "careful what you wish for" then this is it.

Fasten your seatbelts and keep your wallet handy.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

kelownman wrote:Don't worry, your Liberals will return in 4 years' time and you can watch the Liberals ensure the rich get richer, the middle incomers get the shaft, the poor stay poor but all the friends of the Liberal party will be enriched once more.

Care to share what exactly the NDP has done to help the middle income earners and the poor?

From where I sit they basically bought peoples votes with their own money, beginning with the thousand dollar benefit payment, that everyone will pay back tenfold.

Pressing needs such as addressing the Massey Tunnel will be put on the back burner, so that NDP party faithful can make a few bucks engaging in studies. We've been down this road before.

Furstenau hit the nail right on the head when she said Horgan double crossed the Greens that have kept him in government, and broke fixed election date criteria by putting his own selfish interests ahead of everything else.

This is the kind of character you trust and think will remain level headed with no one holding him to account? Good luck with that. [icon_lol2.gif]
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

kelownman wrote:Don't worry, your Liberals will return in 4 years' time and you can watch the Liberals ensure the rich get richer, the middle incomers get the shaft, the poor stay poor but all the friends of the Liberal party will be enriched once more.

Don't forget the Balame Everything on the Last Government :200:
Although they all do that.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Two types of government in B.C. for decades...........CORRUPT taking the #1 spot and STUPID at #2

.........the B.C. Liberals (for a lack of a better name) were out and out self-serving thieves who believed in no accountability.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Unless the mail ins unseat the majority, I suspect he's in.
But waiting is wise and shows class. Who else agrees?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#314444
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

In the meantime those with real money will reach their tipping point and find another country to park their money in. It’s easy for them to do. When the going gets tough, the tough get going … right out of this country! It really is a balancing act. Who will pay for the social services, then? It's not like we're getting rich off of natural resources.

Making the rich poorer does not equate to making the poor richer.
Last edited by Rejigger on Oct 25th, 2020, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

dsldriver wrote:Majority government are not necessarily a good thing. It means the party in power can pretty much do what they want.

Exactly. Just as our neighbours to the south have had a leader running roughshod for almost 4 years now.
Today’s headline: Horgan open to all ideas - John Horgan says he will work across party lines moving forward

So if he’s willing to work across party lines, why did he need a majority government?

Urban Cowboy wrote:Furstenau hit the nail right on the head when she said Horgan double crossed the Greens that have kept him in government, and broke fixed election date criteria by putting his own selfish interests ahead of everything else.
This is the kind of character you trust and think will remain level headed with no one holding him to account? Good luck with that.

Indeed!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

So 34.7% of registered voters ballots were counted so far.

As of September 26th, 2020 there was 3,485,858 registered voters in BC
Last nights ballot box count had 1,208,326 votes cast.

We have never had 100% turn out, I suspect possible maximum will be around 60%.

880,000 +/- votes to be counted
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Rejigger wrote:So if he’s willing to work across party lines, why did he need a majority government?

In a nutshell. Because there was a confidence vote back on July 28th, at about 6:30 pm in the legislature, around Bill 4, the Budget Measures Implementation Act, 2020. Turns out the confidence wasn't in the party that triggered that vote.

Glad to see John Horgan signaling his willingness to work cooperatively across party lines and I certainly expect to see him do that, or will hold his party accountable with my vote in the next election. (Provided there is a viable alternative)
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Oct 25th, 2020, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Humbled? ok Humble and Politics just don't sound quite right
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “BC Provincial Elections 2020”