Wilkinson and Leadership?

stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Wilkinson and Leadership?

Post by stuphoto »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/314505 ... t-election

I personally don't think Wilkinson did a bad job, especially considering the overwhelming Horgan support.
( I think most people voted for the leader this election, not the party )
I honestly respect him as a leader, which I can't say for any other Right Wing parties in Canada.

So I am thinking, If I was a Liberal supporter I would want him staying on.

What do you think?
Keep him on or get someone new?
cyruslosco66
Banned

Re: Wilkinson and Leadership?

Post by cyruslosco66 »

stuphoto wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/314505/Richmond-BC-Liberal-expects-Andrew-Wilkinson-won-t-be-leading-party-come-next-election

I personally don't think Wilkinson did a bad job, especially considering the overwhelming Horgan support.
( I think most people voted for the leader this election, not the party )
I honestly respect him as a leader, which I can't say for any other Right Wing parties in Canada.

So I am thinking, If I was a Liberal supporter I would want him staying on.

What do you think?
Keep him on or get someone new?

He failed as a leader more than once when it came tome to make the right choice . if i was a bclib member id want him to stay probably because he would represent still the old conservative fears of the others .

as a progressive i find those values of fear of the others as never supportable .
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

stuphoto wrote: I honestly respect him as a leader, which I can't say for any other Right Wing parties in Canada.

I'd disagree personally. As a former member of the BC Liberal Party I was disappointed with their choice and remain so hoping they have a leadership convention and choose someone more inspiring. It is interesting to note that a number of pundits have pointed out that with the Liberal Party falling so far back to the right the NDP has now effectively become the party in the center. Who would ever thunk of that? As an aside, my favourite right-wing politician is Doug Ford. He really has been a promising surprise in the way he has worked to try and stem the transmission in his province (any lack of success directly attributable to the coviodiots in Ontario) and in his plans to invest heavily in infrastructure development. I'm not sure how his popularity stands in Ontario but I think he's doing as great a job as can be expected.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Perfect,
It's nice seeing others opinions on this.

I personally don't consider Doug Ford as a Conservative by more than title,
He seems to look at everything from different viewpoints and does what he thinks is right at the moment.
Not a bad way running things these days.
I would have loved seeing his brother in the same position. I would have voted for Rob if I could have.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It's a moot question as he has resigned.

I for 1 am not going to miss him.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#314544
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Mark1111
Board Meister

Wilkinson Stepping Down

Post by Mark1111 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/314544 ... als#314544

I should start out with some happy :cuss: 'pat on the back' for someone who entered the ring, sacrificed for public service, blah, blah, blah.. But seriously?: GOOD!!!! Thank God!!!! Sad he didn't do it sooner. What a joke for a Liberal representative. The NDP couldn't have had it easier this time around. I mean the guy barely even phoned it in. Good riddance.

Can we now please have a Liberal leader that actually wants the job???
Last edited by ferri on Oct 26th, 2020, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

I got the feeling that the liberals were not ready at all. Their platform ,imho, was put together as the days and weeks rolled along. Trying to come up with ideas. And the ideas not well thought out. Would have liked to see their platform at start of the election. And then announce the details during the election. Just to say we are going to cut the sales tax for a year or allow private auto insurance to compete with ICBC with no details is just not good enough. Just promises without substance.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

I often thought ...."there must be someone better in the Liberal party to be their leader " , then I realized that no , in fact there wasn't.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

The problem with the BC Liberals is that they don’t know what they stand for, and who they want to represent. The only reason they were in power for so long is because they weren’t the NDP.. the NDP just won a majority government because they’ve shown themselves to not be all that bad.. though time will tell how they act now that they have a true majority.
Regardless, if the BC Liberals want to continue calling themselves Liberal, they need a leader that’s actually a centrist Liberal and not a Conservative, and they need people to run as MLA’s that are actually Liberal and not Conservatives. British Columbian’s deserve to have a true Conservative Party, and a true Liberal Party rather than the Social Credit Party falsely rebranded as Liberal.. If we had a real Conservative Party, and a real Liberal Party along with the NDP, this last election would’ve seen an even mix of Liberal and NDP MLA’s on the left coast, while the southern and central interiors along with the north would’ve gone totally Conservative, possibly giving the Conservatives a minority government. As long as the BC Liberals can’t define their true ideology, the NDP might very well be in for the long haul.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Leadership of political parties in Canada lately has really sucked. If they are no damn good for anything else, make them a leader of a political party.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

GordonH wrote:Leadership of political parties in Canada lately has really sucked. If they are no damn good for anything else, make them a leader of a political party.

Wow! That opens up the leadership of the BC Liberal party to whole group of their existing/lost their seat candidates! Wonder who will throw their hat in the ring first?
Todd Stone
Mike deJong
Jas Johal
Mary Polak
Jane Thornthwaite
?????
Chill
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

There’s lots of speculation that Todd Stone might end up being the new leader of the BC Liberals, he’s young, energetic, charismatic etc... however he’s also a Conservative, that will not win over the south and north left coasts and the islands where most of the ridings are, and the electorate in those areas are decidedly leftist. The BC Liberals have lost sense of reality.
The Conservative faction of the BC Liberals need to join with the Conservatives, the actual Liberals within the BC Liberals need to rebuild the party.. give the electorate real options as to who they’re voting for with actually identifiable ideologies.
Last edited by Hurtlander on Oct 26th, 2020, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

As Keith Baldrey said tonight:

Classy
and you have to agree:

John Horgan
@jjhorgan
Thank you
@Wilkinson4BC
for your service & dedication to BC as Opposition leader. I've done that job and it's the toughest one in politics.

Mr. Wilkinson has made BC stronger by offering his ideas & vision and we're all better for his contributions.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020PREM0089-001893
Chill
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

The Libs won't be back until the NDP shoot themselves in the foot a few times, regardless who the liberal leader is.
It took three NDP premiers to resign over (9 years?)and bingo gate before they were left with two seats. Very well could be the same this time around to create a change. Regardless of the political stripe, I believe Horgan being a career politician will do his best to rid the party of any miscreants and could very well be around for a while.

I liked Wilkinson, however I thought he lacked the personality to be a leader. Being a lawyer and MD, more of an academic and I'm sure would have been terrific in a cabinet, but peter principle kicked in when he was elected leader.

Although it no longer affects me, I would like the province to dedicate areas in the province as working forests and keep it that way. When some special interest group or another starts jumping up and down that this is the last stand of 10" dbh old growth and has to be saved, the government should make it clear they should go away. This has happened in the central coast already.
This and create a more reactive stumpage system. One that reflects the price of lumber on a more real time basis, not 6 months ago basis.
In the meantime, I'll have another cup of tea.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Wow...who named Todd Stone as new leader of the Liberals?

He seems to have all the qualifications......
Super e mail deleter of sensitive government documents;
Despite advice from professionals and as highways minister, increased the speed limit on major highways, after getting several speeding tickets\
Addressing the Automotive Car Dealers(big contributors to the Liberals) at a luncheon, announced he was "giving" the ICBC automotive repair retaining facility located in Burnaby, and worth about 5 million dollars to the dealers.
Despite a video (YouTube) showing the speech and presentation, Liberal leader Andrew Wilkinson denied it happened.
Yeah, I think Todd would fill the position quite nicely!!

Return to “BC Provincial Elections 2020”