Poll for Humboldt truck driver

one wheel
Übergod

Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by one wheel »

The Castanet Forum Poll about the truck driver involved in the Humboldt bus crash is at a 50 / 50 split regarding deporting him or not after his sentence is complete.
How did those people that want him deported arrive at their decision & what would be accomplished if this is done ?

Our Federal & Provincial Governments have IMO failed all Canadians by not implementing stricter driver licencing for every class of licence in Canada ?
For years professional drivers have complained about the lax way new drivers without any experience are allowed to obtain a Class 1 licence & other fraudulent violations ?

Following the Humboldt tragedy there was lots of talk about making serious changes, so what has changed to improve things ?

The number of crashes & near misses involving heavy trucks in the Interior area seems at a record high ?
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by stuphoto »

I voted to deport him only out of presidence,
If we allow one imported criminal to stay in Canada, you just know others will use it as an example and weasel their way through the court system.

I still say his former boss is the real criminal.
No company should hire rookie drivers and throw them behind the wheel of a 120,000lb truck without any additional training.
I had 3 weeks of additional training with my first company and needed every moment of it.
I still have an ice road mentor, with 6 years under my belt. Although these days I help him out as much as he helps me.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Not sure how I feel so didn't vote.
I guess something that might push me to a deport was his Lawyer saying they want to raise their family in Canada
So did the parents who lost their Sons, the Sons who lost that chance.

Ok, I'm leaning to deport
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I sort of view deportation as additional punishment, after serving the sentence our court system imposed.

Double jeopardy so to speak which I don't feel is right.

If the objective is to deport the offender, then why have Canadian tax payers foot the bill for his incarceration? It would make more sense to immediately deport, as that would send a message to every other person living in Canada who isn't a citizen.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Urban Cowboy wrote: It would make more sense to immediately deport.

Exactly! :up: :up:

Zero tolerance for serious offenders who are not Citizens. We don't need imported criminals as we have more than enough of our own.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Blowing through a Stop sign is never a good idea (specially since it’s a blind stop sign).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I voted to deport him, he caused a massive loss of life and we should not offer him a privelege.
I know training has been brought up, and it is very important. How much more training did he need to learn to stop at a stop sign ?
IMHO the real problem was the lack of design and building at that intersection. Everything needed to improve safety at that intersection exists but was not installed.
Black Dogs Matter
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

The stop sign for the trucker has a FLASHING RED LIGHT and another sign a couple of hundred meters before the intersection.
DEPORT him and his family and any other relatives trudeau let in with him.

https://www.citynews1130.com/video/2019 ... nd-missed/
Last edited by featfan on Oct 31st, 2020, 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Blowing through a Stop sign is never a good idea (specially since it’s a blind stop sign).

Just to clarify, truckers view of traffic heading south was in clear view. This wasn’t the case of traffic heading north... hence why I said blind.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

My feeling is that yes it's a huge tragedy but he served his time & there's no reversing what happened.

The issue I have is, just how did he ever receive a Canadian Class 1 drivers licence & what has been done since this accident to insure we get better qualified drivers ?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

one wheel wrote:My feeling is that yes it's a huge tragedy but he served his time & there's no reversing what happened.

The issue I have is, just how did he ever receive a Canadian Class 1 drivers licence & what has been done since this accident to insure we get better qualified drivers ?

Even getting a basic D/L blowing through a stop sign is fail.
This is basic driving 101.

8 years for all loss of live, doesn’t seem like enough.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

GordonH wrote:Blowing through a Stop sign is never a good idea (specially since it’s a blind stop sign).

It was a very visible stop signs....There was already a major accident there before and they improved the warning signs to STOP......with a flash red light to STOP.

The stop sign on highway 335 is seen at the intersection of highway 35 near Tisdale, Sask., Tuesday, April, 10, 2018.

STOP means STOP.

From the other direction.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

GordonH wrote:

Just to clarify, truckers view of traffic heading south was in clear view. This wasn’t the case of traffic heading north... hence why I said blind.

It's not a blind corner....It's a major highway and has the right of way. The secondary highway has the STOP signs. These type of intersections are all over Canada....
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Just to clarify, truckers view of traffic heading south was in clear view. This wasn’t the case of traffic heading north... hence why I said blind.

averagejoe wrote:It's not a blind corner....It's a major highway and has the right of way. The secondary highway has the STOP signs. These type of intersections are all over Canada....

Chances are if the trucker view was clear looking south (which it isn’t with the homestead and whole bunch of trees), he would have seen the bus and would have most likely stopped. Instead he took a chance no one was heading north and blew through the stop sign, rest is history now.
Blind being the trucker didn’t have clear view south, unlike his view north.

My issue is the length of his sentence.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

oldtrucker wrote:You can have all the flashing lights you want....and clowns wearing neon clothing dancing at the intersection....wont make any difference. Clear line of sight or not.
Anyone driving truck in the flatlands for 15 hours day every day with no REM sleep will be blowing through stop signs.
Didn't speak english, new here, etc....employer probably had him over a barrel and made him work with no rest. I've never seen anyone in that industry be abused.... :200:

That is something that needs to be addressed, if truckers are not going to step up and do the right thing. Rather obvious the employer sure doesn’t want to do the right thing.
Then government overlords have to.

Return to “Canada”