Poll for Humboldt truck driver

stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by stuphoto »

oldtrucker wrote:I don't think he is a criminal- he didn't mean to do it. That could have happened to any truck driver that was working those hours.

The difference is you and myself both know better and pull over for a short rest.
But then again, neither of us would work for anyone telling up to work verwy verwy ( typo intended ) hard and earn our employer ( slave drivers? ) lots and lots of money.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by stuphoto »

GordonH wrote:
That is something that needs to be addressed, if truckers are not going to step up and do the right thing. Rather obvious the employer sure doesn’t want to do the right thing.
Then government overlords have to.

Old Trucker and myself should have said, Don't Get Us Started on employers.
Some love new drivers who will run illegally.
They love foreign drivers even more, since its easy exploiting someone who is worried about getting deported.
What sort of incentive do us experienced drivers have when we get paid the exact same as a newby?
Less even when you consider we won't push the limits.
How many times have we been promised what sounds like a fair rate and suddenly discover the company calculates the mileage of every route in a straight line.
Some trucking outfits are worse than Politicians, Lawyers and Used Car Salesmen combined.

I can now turn down the lousy jobs, and thankfully only had 1 tell me to run like an idiot.
I found my way back to their yard and quit later that day.
If it ever happens again they will be looking for their truck in a scales impound yard and need a good explanation.
User avatar
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник
Posts: 39552
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:That is something that needs to be addressed, if truckers are not going to step up and do the right thing. Rather obvious the employer sure doesn’t want to do the right thing.
Then government overlords have to.

stuphoto wrote:Old Trucker and myself should have said, Don't Get Us Started on employers.
Some love new drivers who will run illegally.
They love foreign drivers even more, since its easy exploiting someone who is worried about getting deported.
What sort of incentive do us experienced drivers have when we get paid the exact same as a newby?
Less even when you consider we won't push the limits.
How many times have we been promised what sounds like a fair rate and suddenly discover the company calculates the mileage of every route in a straight line.
Some trucking outfits are worse than Politicians, Lawyers and Used Car Salesmen combined.

I can now turn down the lousy jobs, and thankfully only had 1 tell me to run like an idiot.
I found my way back to their yard and quit later that day.
If it ever happens again they will be looking for their truck in a scales impound yard and need a good explanation.


Apparently the trucking industry needs a whole lot more government interference, not only directed at the drivers also at their employers.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
User avatar
mexi cali
Guru
Posts: 9708
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by mexi cali »

Lets not rehash the makeup of the intersection. There is nothing to gain by it. He blew a stop sign and the result is what everybody knows it to be.

I have inadvertently blown through a stop sign. One that was well marked on a street I was familiar with but I missed it just the same. I was lucky. No one was coming. Disaster was averted. Had I and anyone else not been so lucky, different scenario.

My driving record is clean. How much punishment do I deserve?

Depends on the outcome. I would have done what this driver did. Admit my guilt and take the punishment.

Then what? I am a criminal for the rest of my life because of a momentary lapse?

He is not a criminal. He is a human being who made a horrific mistake but he stepped up and did the right thing afterward. I wish more people would do that. It would save a lot of time.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
common_sense_guy
Übergod
Posts: 1712
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2017, 12:40 pm

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by common_sense_guy »

oldtrucker wrote:I don't think he is a criminal- he didn't mean to do it. That could have happened to any truck driver that was working those hours.

I agree. How many seniors blow through stop signs and hurt or kill people in a year in Canada as well. There's probably not too many but you know it has happened already in the past. People aren't up in arms and wanting to put them in jail for years and years are they. It's an accident. Was not intentional. The outcome was horrific but that should not take away from the fact that it was an accident that could happen to anyone under certain circumstances. I bet 90% of the people in these forums have accidentally went through a stop sign at some point in their life
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2635
Joined: Nov 19th, 2010, 6:51 am

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by Gilchy »

mexi cali wrote:Lets not rehash the makeup of the intersection. There is nothing to gain by it. He blew a stop sign and the result is what everybody knows it to be.

I have inadvertently blown through a stop sign. One that was well marked on a street I was familiar with but I missed it just the same. I was lucky. No one was coming. Disaster was averted. Had I and anyone else not been so lucky, different scenario.

My driving record is clean. How much punishment do I deserve?

Depends on the outcome. I would have done what this driver did. Admit my guilt and take the punishment.

Then what? I am a criminal for the rest of my life because of a momentary lapse?

He is not a criminal. He is a human being who made a horrific mistake but he stepped up and did the right thing afterward. I wish more people would do that. It would save a lot of time.


Accepted responsibility, and has to live the rest of his life with the guilt. No jail time will bring the victims back, nor change any outcomes, and deportation is cruel, let him be a productive contributing member of Canadian society is the best thing for everyone.
User avatar
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 974
Joined: Nov 29th, 2007, 9:48 am

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by t76turbo »

I completely agree with Mexi Cali’s last post. With all the misery and loss of life, this was an accident! This isn’t some good for nothen’ gang banger. This is a life that’s already destroyed, along with all others. Let him serve his time then go out and contribute to Canadian society, try and rite his wrongs that surely rest on his shoulders daily.
His marriage would most likely suffer immensely as well, now we are also punishing her. If it were one of my kids on that buss perhaps I would feel different....but;
He owned his mistake and as a class 1 driver myself, mistakes happen. As an immigrant that lived in Canada from age 13 on and only took citizenship in my late 30’s, very scary, my whole life is in Canada, so are my 3 kids and wife!
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by stuphoto »

Imho it should be the victims families making the decision.
Not the courts, politicians, churches or us.
I haven't heard what they are saying yet. Has anyone else?
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 72867
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by Fancy »

One parent has spoken:
A former truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash has submitted paperwork with reasons why he should not be sent back to India when he gets out of prison.

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu is now waiting for the Canada Border Services Agency to write a report that will recommend whether he be allowed to stay in his adopted country or be deported.

A grieving father of one of the hockey players killed will be waiting, too. Scott Thomas said he aches everyday for his 18-year-old son, Evan, but submitted a letter in support of Sidhu.

“I know for a fact that he’ll never drive a semi again. I know for a fact that if he could take back what happened that day he would in a heartbeat. He would trade places with any one of those boys," said Thomas.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/32 ... ion#322444
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12288
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 6:00 pm

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by dirtybiker »

Tough call.

I'll not vote. Yet. I'm still trying to process.
Intent should come into judgement.

I highly doubt he purposely blew the stop sign. intent
vs
Some one who purposely blows up a bus load of kids. intent

Same outcome arrived in two entirely different ways.

What is the intent of the law as written on the deportation of immigrants
that do criminal acts ?

inadvertently blowing a stop sign and purposeful bombings are both crimes.
But are two entirely different criminal acts.

I'll be coming into my 40th year as a commercial driver this year.
I've seen and been through some stuff. Perspective has been gained
if nothing else.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
User avatar
mexi cali
Guru
Posts: 9708
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by mexi cali »

I read this this morning and wondered if it would make its way here.

I don't want to see this man deported because I don't see the benefit. By all accounts, he is a decent human being who is looking for ways to make it here.

His wife is a professional I think making her a valued asset.

What he did will live with him for the rest of his life. Sending him back to India is simply more punishment.

I understand those who want to see him be deported. They are angry and I get that but this serves no purpose here.

There have been cases of immigrants who committed crimes willfully and successfully fought extradition so why the gloves are being put on here is mystifying.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4464
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by JayByrd »

I'm in favour of allowing him to stay.

I can't add much to what mexi cali said. The purpose of deportation is to protect our safety and security. Mr. Sidhu has been co-operative and remorseful from the start, and there's no reason to think he'll do additional harm if he's allowed to stay. If any of us did what he did, we'd serve our time and then have a chance to rebuild our lives. I see no reason why Mr. Sidhu shouldn't get the same.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33556
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by the truth »

so many fools. he has shown remorse because his lawyer coached him too.if i did what he did, i would do the same show fake remorse like he is, not to be deported
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
whatwhat
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sep 30th, 2009, 10:06 am

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by whatwhat »

the truth wrote:so many fools. he has shown remorse because his lawyer coached him too.if i did what he did, i would do the same show fake remorse like he is, not to be deported
Why do you think its fake remorse and not real remorse??

If you did what he did, you would show fake remorse?? That's terrible. It was a horrible accident, and I would think anyone with a conscious would be truly remorseful.
hail Satan y'all
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33556
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Poll for Humboldt truck driver

Post by the truth »

he is doing and saying what he needs to do, not to get deported why is that so hard to understand

the guy is a scumbag https://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-n ... irat-sidhu he had 70 federal violations before he killed 16 people
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Canada”