Family loses $12k through TikTok

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Family loses $12k through TikTok

Post by alanjh595 »

sherashera wrote:These people are poor excuses for parents if you ask me. It's like the parents who claim their kids didn't rack up the cell phone bill. Yeah right, you get notifications sent out and you choose to ignore them. $12,000.00 for Tik Tok, give me a break.

So, all credit card companies send out notifications?
What email address are these supposed notifications sent to?

The parents have defiantly made some mistakes;
#1. was to have complete trust and faith in their young child to make adult decisions.
#2. was to not check their credit card balance 2X a day.
#3. they relied upon the electronic credit card monitor to keep them safe.

The child has also made some mistakes;
#1. she did not think before she acted.
#2. she didn't bother with doing some research and the potential negative ramifications for her actions.
#3.

Both parties have made so mistakes that need to be addressed.
The parents have been punished for theirs, because they have had to fix the problem.
The child, can be excused of "Amoral" behavior, since she had no prior experience. (I am being generous).

Both parties should seek/be required to enlist professional group counseling/mediation just to have the benefit of having a 3rd party/non-judgmental party involved so that both sides don't feel that they are ruled/oppressed by the other.
Bring back the LIKE button.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

ferri wrote:They were right though when they wondered why they weren't contacted by MasterCard. I've been contacted when there was a $200.00 purchase that seemed out of character for me.

Was that when you were at Animal Kingdom? [icon_lol2.gif]
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

ckil wrote:Why would anyone have a CC with that high of a limit is beyond me in the first place.

Hardly a high limit.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

We use the CC that gives us the best return for purchases and we buy everything that can be bought with a CC because of the payback.

My wife monitors it at least twice a day making it hard to buy certain, ummm, items on the down low.

We have had CCs that were compromised after we had used it at a business who had been compromised and once, we generously bought Stanley Cup finals tickets and train passage for a gentleman who lived in Montreal but really wanted to see the Canucks play. There was no issue having the charges reversed.

Another time, I was in Vernon for work and stopped at London Drugs and bought a leather storage stool, was about 150.00 or so and as I was walking back to my car, my phone rang and it was Visa asking if I had just made that purchase. Great service and a bit creepy all at the same time.

I have a family member who has a black card. Sky literally is the limit so 12k aint much.

It is surprising though that the out of character purchases weren't flagged but it doesn't absolve the parents of responsibility. I think they got lucky that the vendors have agreed to reimburse them.

edited to remove erroneous information
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

my husband's credit card has a cash back...last year we got $1500 ( he uses it for side jobs) back..

I take every advantage that I can when getting a credit card...I have the Walmart mastercard and I use it to pay for anything I buy there , then immediately make a payment right at the till for the purchase...got my son a TV last christmas with my point rewards and loved that it cost me nothing for it ( yahoo !!)

I would do the same with the PC Mastercard, but they don't allow payments to be made at the till, so I don't bother..but I save my PC points and have gotten hundred of dollars of free groceries cashing them in..got $400 in points waiting for Christmas use..
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I don't have TikTok nor do I feel I ever will, but insofar as their finally deciding to reimburse these people, it's not as though they lost anything is it? I mean do they have to purchase likes before suckers buy them? [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Urban Cowboy wrote:I don't have TikTok nor do I feel I ever will, but insofar as their finally deciding to reimburse these people, it's not as though they lost anything is it? I mean do they have to purchase likes before suckers buy them? [icon_lol2.gif]

I don't think you understand TikTok's business model. TikTok used some of the $12k to pay other TikTok users with a high following to view/subscribe this girls channel.

In other words - you pay TikTok to get more views, they get you more views by offering some of that money to others.

Unless TikTok is able to "take that money back" that they paid others, they'll absolutely be out of pocket as a result.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

ckil wrote:Why would anyone have a CC with that high of a limit is beyond me in the first place.
mexi cali wrote:
Hardly a high limit.

Try paying for a Cruise for 2 (a European river cruise can be over $10,000.00 ea.) without a high limit.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

If the parents had taken the time to set up Family Sharing and Ask to Buy this would have never happened.
Family Sharing
Ask to Buy
sherashera
Fledgling

Post by sherashera »

I love it! Social media is a confidence booster for me. I see a bunch of idiots online and I don’t feel too bad about myself.

Ya know, you might have a bad day but at least you can say “no one is laughing at me biting my lips and dry humping the floor on tik tok” And I consider that a win! Tik-Tok - major cringe fest.

$12,000 grand just because your kid wants likes and views from total strangers. What a sad state of affairs this current generation is in. And yes, the parents are to blame 100 % for this cluster they put themselves into. What you don't look at your credit card statements? Give me a break.
My word, doesn't the year fly by? One minute its Come All Yea Faithful, the next your flat on your back in the sand. Its hard to tell which one enjoys the most.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

TylerM4 wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:I don't have TikTok nor do I feel I ever will, but insofar as their finally deciding to reimburse these people, it's not as though they lost anything is it? I mean do they have to purchase likes before suckers buy them? [icon_lol2.gif]

I don't think you understand TikTok's business model. TikTok used some of the $12k to pay other TikTok users with a high following to view/subscribe this girls channel.

In other words - you pay TikTok to get more views, they get you more views by offering some of that money to others.

Unless TikTok is able to "take that money back" that they paid others, they'll absolutely be out of pocket as a result.

So that's what we've devolved to, obtaining likes and views for money. :thumbsdown:

That's a hard NO to TikTok for me. :smt045
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Urban Cowboy wrote:
So that's what we've devolved to, obtaining likes and views for money. :thumbsdown:

That's a hard NO to TikTok for me. :smt045

I agree - it's a shame. Teens have always gone to remarkable lengths to be "Cool, popular, and trendy". Social media is just a new outlet for that. Nowadays kids measure their popularity by how many friends/followers they have. Remember the goth craze of 10 years ago?

To be honest tho, this isn't something that's limited to just TikTok. Many other social media platforms have something similar built in, or there's a 3rd party you can pay. Instagram, facebook, etc - they all follow a similar premise. The bulk of people who have Tens of thousands of followers paid for them unless they already had celebrity status prior to joining the platform.

Very few "make it big" on these platforms without spending large sums of money buying views/followers.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Parents made a dumb move, CC company dropped the ball. Parents likely didn't learn a thing CC company did the right thing imo
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

TylerM4 wrote:I don't think you understand TikTok's business model. TikTok used some of the $12k to pay other TikTok users with a high following to view/subscribe this girls channel.

Best part. I'd be willing to bet much more than $14,000 that had this 13 year old girl gone viral via tiktok and then had some serious money coming in (See Fleetwood Mac guy), the parents would likely gladly have paid this bill.

Every in-app purchases i make i am notified of monthly.

This case is just like those who choose not to have content insurance then cry and set up gofundme when they lose it all.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Who cares about gofundme, its private money.
Just don't donate to unworthy causes, those that do that's their problem.
I don't see the point

Return to “Social Concerns”