Constant expensive "rescues".

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Constant expensive "rescues".

Post by ninetyninepct »

https://www.coastreporter.net/two-hiker ... 1.24236288

These darn helicopter rescues, mostly for idiots who should know better, are damn expensive and often put the Rescue volenteers at risk. It takes extreme piloting skills to lift people out of the trees with a longline. Been there, done that. These pilots are the cream of the cream of the crop, and should be paid an awful lot of money. They are more than worth it.

These hikers should be charged for these rescues. We have to pay for medical transport, so why not the helicopter? Insurance companies could sell policies to cover the rescue costs. We see news reports of the rescued people saying North Shope Rescue saved their lives. How much is their life worth? $1000? $10,000? Payback / contribution is appropriate.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Re: Constant expensive "rescues".

Post by common_sense_guy »

ninetyninepct wrote:https://www.coastreporter.net/two-hikers-injured-on-the-same-icy-slope-north-shore-rescue-1.24236288

These darn helicopter rescues, mostly for idiots who should know better, are damn expensive and often put the Rescue volenteers at risk. It takes extreme piloting skills to lift people out of the trees with a longline. Been there, done that. These pilots are the cream of the cream of the crop, and should be paid an awful lot of money. They are more than worth it.

These hikers should be charged for these rescues. We have to pay for medical transport, so why not the helicopter? Insurance companies could sell policies to cover the rescue costs. We see news reports of the rescued people saying North Shope Rescue saved their lives. How much is their life worth? $1000? $10,000? Payback / contribution is appropriate.

Maybe just stay in your house and keep watching the news. You'll be safe and stop worrying about what other people do
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

oldtrucker wrote:
ninetyninepct wrote:These pilots are the cream of the cream of the crop, and should be paid an awful lot of money. They are more than worth it.

Oh cmon....you rotorheads get 45/hr at least :biggrin:

It's all cyclic in their collective. :D

eta' some city folk that require signage for every step should stay
inside the glass and concrete jungle.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

If some people were billed for some very avoidable mountain rescue missions , it may make people think a bit before they get themselves into trouble. That would be good.
If no one ever used SAR the funding, training, and skill levels would decrease.
I plan to not need them but if I ever do I am very happy to know they are available.
Black Dogs Matter
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

common_sense_guy wrote:
ninetyninepct wrote:https://www.coastreporter.net/two-hikers-injured-on-the-same-icy-slope-north-shore-rescue-1.24236288

Maybe just stay in your house and keep watching the news. You'll be safe and stop worrying about what other people do

been one of them have you :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I've called on them once, for both ground, then ultimately, air rescue.
Well versed in back-country, first aid, and all.
No safety gear expense spared and yet. injuries amounting to
more than self rescue would allow.
Thankful for their valued presence.
ie; not my injuries, a fellow experienced back country enthusiast
equally geared up sustained lower back and pelvic injuries.

Thank you SAR.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Can't really balame this new generation raised with their cell phones guiding them through life.
Most of us had parents who actually taught us basic skills so we can think our way out of most situations.
Whereas now they are lost shortly after the cell coverage ends.

As a species, we are quickly losing our basic survival instincts :200:
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

stuphoto wrote:Can't really balame this new generation raised with their cell phones guiding them through life.
Most of us had parents who actually taught us basic skills so we can think our way out of most situations.
Whereas now they are lost shortly after the cell coverage ends.

As a species, we are quickly losing our basic survival instincts :200:

agree 100%, i think the kids now are all born with ptsd just because
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

If we’re going to start billing people for making bad decisions, should we also start billing people who smoke, drink, and are overweight due to poor diet choices for their healthcare costs?

These folks and their bad decisions cost a lot more than the rescues do.

I’m just wondering where folks would like to see the line drawn. I’m of the opinion the rescues and the healthcare costs for unhealthy people should all be covered... I’m just curious about the logic people are using.

Return to “Social Concerns”