Christmas alone ideas?

A potpourri of off-topics.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Christmas alone ideas?

Post by stuphoto »

I know it's still too early for most people usually including myself.

However I just realized today.
With my mom gone, it looks like this may be my first Christmas alone.
I would usually have driven to Midway a day or 2 before Christmas then driven my mom to Greenwood for their community meal on Christmas day itself.
With Covid I doubt very much that the meal will happen and don't really have any family left.
I can't really visit with any friends this year either.

When I realized this earlier today ( yesterday morning ) the depression kicked in hard.

So I am wondering if anyone has any ideas where to go or knows something that may take my mind off everything this year.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Christmas alone ideas?

Post by Bsuds »

You could help with a Christmas dinner for the homeless. The always need volunteers.

Or help at the food bank.

Not only would something like that keep you busy it would help those that need it.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Trust me on this - Christmas alone is what you make of it. After a few years of getting "pity' invites, then after the M period ( don't ask)
My last 2 Christmases alone with my Lily have been great. Last year included
Use what monies you would have spent to donate to a favorite charity as a gift to your Mom :)
If you have a single Senior in your neighbour try making their Xmas a lil brighter.. even a string of lights on a front tree, etc
And of course I can msg you a very long list of prezzies I'd be happy to get!
Alas it's only one day a year, instead of focusing on that try making every day a bit more Christmas like - small acts of kindness, etc.
Speaking of that did I mention my Prez list?
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

comeon, that was solid gold advise I gave :) Besides just another house to clean LOL
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Saddest Christmas song of all time (but beautifully written):

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Phone around your local restaurants and see if any of them are open for Christmas dinner this year.

And, if there’s a movie theatre in your town, you could consider going to watch a movie after dinner.

Both of those are venues where Public Health precautions are in place, so should be fairly safe.

But if there aren’t any such facilities in your community, maybe you should consider treating yourself to a hotel room in a larger centre on Christmas Day night.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Thank you everyone,

You are right Old Trucker, driving is the most lonely job out there.
At least while up North some of the drivers have become my family giving me something to look forward to in February and March .
When I am driving a bus, I consider it as the worlds most lonely job where you never have any alone time :135:

Oh Norma,
You are right, too many rooms to clean.
Cleaning was never my moms strong suit so it was nasty.
It's starting to look good now, but that's after almost 2 months of work.
I will send you a PM later today or tomorrow.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Gee Glac - well that brightened the mood!!!!!
btw, every year they play my favorite Xmas movie Christmas Day " Die Hard" Last year they did all the movies.

Christmas solo means you can slob around, drink at 10am if you want to.. stuff your face with your favorite food and treats, talk to friends, laugh over lousy gifts, and then poof, it is Boxing Day
I do treat myself to a lush lunch Christmas Eve.
Start some of your own Stuphoto traditions - I'm not fond of turkey so my traditional Xmas dinner is Lobster Pasta and cheap caviar
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

normaM wrote:btw, every year they play my favorite Xmas movie Christmas Day " Die Hard" Last year they did all the movies.

It's not Christmas Day unless they air Die Hard and Die Hard 2 ... they've been showing them the last couple of weeks.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Grab Bag”