Retiring early in Mexico Couple..

A potpourri of off-topics.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Retiring early in Mexico Couple..

Post by gardengirl »

rabidmole wrote:Why was this even a story? Who cares. More ego boost and “look at what I am doing” than anything else. Will they let us know when things go south and they crawl back to Canada with their tails between their legs? Doubtful.
Slow news day for sure telling a non-story. I couldn’t even imagine contacting a news agency to ask them to put out a story of me moving away to a third world country so I can live the high life compared to the locals serving my every need. Sad.

I thought the same when I read it. Who cares?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I found the story interesting, mainly for the fact that it's even possible in these months of restricted and difficult to travel times.. :130:
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Boarder4
Fledgling

Post by Boarder4 »

I totally agree, let’s try and show Kelowna how much $ we have. Truth be told, I’m doubting they have much at all. The ultimate “selfie”. Their like the bozos on Instagram showing themselves off ha ha
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Bucerias is a :cuss: hole with the most astonishing group of burnout, drunken, jaundice-liver Canadians that I have seen in one place at one time.
Except for the ZZ Top concert at The Bluff many years ago. :biggrin:
You and 71 others Like this post
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

rabidmole wrote:Why was this even a story? Who cares. More ego boost and “look at what I am doing” than anything else. Will they let us know when things go south and they crawl back to Canada with their tails between their legs? Doubtful.
Slow news day for sure telling a non-story. I couldn’t even imagine contacting a news agency to ask them to put out a story of me moving away to a third world country so I can live the high life compared to the locals serving my every need. Sad.

There's a movement among younger people right now called FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early). I see more and more stories about it, and usually, they go like this - work hard, make lots of money, avoid spending, invest wisely, retire by 30-40.

They usually don't truly retire, usually run some sort of side hustle, but not like going to work every day.

To me, it sounds appealing. Interestingly enough until I heard stories like this, I didn't think it's possible, so it was nice to hear from people who actually achieved success with this.

So, there's some value for those who are interested.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

There is a woman down in Mexico right now, I knew her slightly in high school, fb friends of course. She sold it all, bought in a small Mexican town, modest place, got all her cards etc., and started posting about her life there. Then the PMs started, 'can you send money for xyz cause." Ya, sure, because you know how expensive it is to live in Canada, you move there and now you want us to support something. And the video posts of all the ex pats playing music and singing and drinking were fun, at first. But when I can't decide if this was an empty vapid and boringly way to spend night after night after night or if this was what one does after living retired in Mexico volunteering for one's causes. She's one of those expats living cheaply there while driving up the local costs for the locals. The posts about "look how cheap this stuff is" are enviable, sure thing, I'd like to to be cheap here too, but the guy selling it here would have to live in a shanty with no expectations. Anyways, it's a total lifestyle choice to not have a job down there, volunteer and travel a lot. I know she's already made a difference for some after one of the hurricanes did damage. Do I wish I could do that? No, I don't do well with the Spanish language. I know I'd be floundering a bit too much to enjoy it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Driving up the price for locals.. :200: . hmmmm
We have been living that here for a few decades.. :smt045
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Regarding why is this even a story. It is a story like every other thread on here. Someone wanted to talk about it and we are. It doesn't have to be high browed, it just needs to encourage participation and by that standard, it seems to be working.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Like others on here...who cares if you want to live in Mexico...That said it provides for dialogue.
Something the couple did not say about their move. A foreigner cannot technically own property in mexico.You buy but in trust with a bank. and the government.
Other places have similar rules: Australia; Thailand to name two.There might be others.
Mexico is a nice place to visit.Would I want to live there? No..Likewise Cuba.Wonderful for a visit BUT not sure as a place to reside on a permanent basis
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Driving up the price for locals.. :200: . hmmmm
We have been living that here for a few decades.. :smt045
I don't know :biggrin: why ask me?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

mexi cali wrote:Regarding why is this even a story. It is a story like every other thread on here. Someone wanted to talk about it and we are. It doesn't have to be high browed, it just needs to encourage participation and by that standard, it seems to be working.

You are always a good commenter. You make valid points that make sense..Not to me of course but to others they do..so although I never agree with you..simply because of prejudice..I'm happy you are here to share. PS: I'm just rambling for fun. Carry on.And for those who really don't get it..I'm 100% just playing around because I'm in a mood.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

I know a fellow that moved to Thailand permantly, and was working there .
He married a Thai woman, they have property, in here name.. not sure what happens if she passes away before him.
As far as I know he can't own property there.

I did not know that is the case in Mexico..
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

Mrmarvingardens wrote:Like others on here...who cares if you want to live in Mexico...That said it provides for dialogue.
Something the couple did not say about their move. A foreigner cannot technically own property in mexico.You buy but in trust with a bank. and the government.
Other places have similar rules: Australia; Thailand to name two.There might be others.
Mexico is a nice place to visit.Would I want to live there? No..Likewise Cuba.Wonderful for a visit BUT not sure as a place to reside on a permanent basis

In Mexico a foreigner certainly can own property outright. BUT within 50 kilometers from the coast or 100 kilometers from the border it must be in trust with a bank, or, owned by a company.
In Australia foreigners can own property.
In Thailand a foreigner may not own land, but may own the structures located on that land.
pilsung

Post by pilsung »

lensbaby wrote:
Mrmarvingardens wrote:In Thailand a foreigner may not own land, but may own the structures located on that land.

removed
I have some friends who are actually Thai nationals and Thai people are ONE THOUSAND TIMES nicer and more pleasant than any Canadian landlord ! Same with Mexican people I have met, as well.

So, you would actually WANT to live in Thailand or Mexico.

Regarding Canadians living in Mexico, retiring at age 40, getting "rich quick" and then, bragging about their wealth on the internet, who cares !

I know of a Kelowna couple who live there, year round.

Part of the key to their success is do as the roman's would do ? They try to blend into the community as best as they can.

The husband works as a part time fisherman, working for a local fishing boat on the coast of PV.

if you work as a fisherman, you and your family will never starve, that's for sure !

Sadly, some Kelowna people, buy into the screw unto others philosophy and strive to be as nasty and wealthy as possible, at the expense of those who sweat and toil.

Conversely, In Mexico, even the wealthy drug lords don't forget about the poor people. However, it is true that many people ARE poor in that country.

I would learn a bit of Spanish, first, if I was going to move down there.
Last edited by Catsumi on Nov 18th, 2020, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Wow, just let these people be if that's what they wanted to do..

Return to “Grab Bag”