Retiring early in Mexico Couple..

A potpourri of off-topics.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Retiring early in Mexico Couple..

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

LANDM wrote:Bucerias is a :cuss: hole with the most astonishing group of burnout, drunken, jaundice-liver Canadians that I have seen in one place at one time.
Except for the ZZ Top concert at The Bluff many years ago. :biggrin:

That's a pretty harsh and inaccurate description of Bucerias.
I've been there a few times, two different friends own homes there. It's a bit more laid back then PV, but too expensive for us.
As for the burnout, drunken, jaundice-liver Canadians, well, one can always find a few of them pretty well anywhere that snowbirds hangout.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

artistwithaflare wrote:West Kelowna News

Sandra and Michael Wright retired early in the town of Bucerras in Mexico.

With over a million cases in Mexico and the lack of personal safety...did they do the right thing?
https://www.castanet.net/news/World/316 ... 000-deaths

I lived in Mexico for many years. It is no longer cheap to live there! Food, water, ice, medical, rentals, homes are all based on American prices now and no longer ruled by the cheap paso. With cheap labor in Mexico, there are no good paying jobs for foreigners calling it come(?). Even though you think living in paradise is a dream...just wait for it...cause, that's not the case!

Stay safe Sandra & Michael...keep enough money for a return ticket(if they allow you back in that is ?)

I assume you're referring to places like PV, Cancun, and cities with large snowbird populations. Yes, of course they are expensive and rightly so. The Mexicans wisely charge what the market will bear. 10,000 gringos come to town, of course they will drive up prices.

As for my perspective of Mexico. We've been travelling to their west coast for over thirty years and love the people there.
Manzanillo used to be our favourite but it's become too industrialized. But this has meant plenty of well paying jobs for the locals.
So we moved to a smaller community and fell in love with it. Maybe 3,000 people max, reasonable prices, fresh fruits and vegetables purchased every day. A couple of hundred metres to the beach. We never drove a car there, just walked, took the occasional bus or taxi. There isn't even a full time police station there.

But retirement there? Never. Canada is my home.. We usually do four to six weeks or more. Unfortunately this winter's trip has been cancelled.

And as for medical in Mexico. Their system is better than Canada's in some ways. All the doctors speak English. They were trained in the USA. Many medical staff speak English even in the public hospitals.
And the private hospitals are first class when it comes to service. Some of their equipment may be old but it does the job.
My wife was hospitalized two years ago down there with a very serious illness. She received immediate and first class service from the time she walked in the door. And the cost was amazingly low, at least by our standards.

Crime in the little town we were in is almost non-existent. We heard of one Canadian couple being badly beaten up the last time we were there. Turned out to be a fellow Canadian high on drugs. The cops got him and we never saw him again.

If we didn't have grandkids, we would be down there for five or six months every winter.

And btw, Canadians don't go to Mexico to work.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

LANDM wrote:Bucerias is a :cuss: hole with the most astonishing group of burnout, drunken, jaundice-liver Canadians that I have seen in one place at one time.

Reading this I swear you were referring to Kelowna [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

Bucerias is absolutely nothing like Landm describes.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

lensbaby wrote:

Bucerias is absolutely nothing like Landm describes.

Totally agree....absolutely love it there
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

bb49 wrote:

That's a pretty harsh and inaccurate description of Bucerias.
I've been there a few times, two different friends own homes there. It's a bit more laid back then PV, but too expensive for us.
As for the burnout, drunken, jaundice-liver Canadians, well, one can always find a few of them pretty well anywhere that snowbirds hangout.

Yes, I admit it was a bit of hyperbole.
But, the description was still accurate. I see why people would like it but head down to the restaurant/bar where they have live music on the beach in the afternoon. I forget the name of it, but usually great bands.

Man oh man.....you just *know* that those people are there getting absolutely :cuss: faced every day. It’s bad enough being hung over in the morning, but it would really suck to be hung over at 7pm every night.
You and 71 others Like this post
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You know, I've seen those videos. The ones where the expats are drinking, laughing, joking around. I am so incensed at them spending their Canadian pensions in Mexico that I need to investigate for a month or two to confirm your observations.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote:You know, I've seen those videos. The ones where the expats are drinking, laughing, joking around. I am so incensed at them spending their Canadian pensions in Mexico that I need to investigate for a month or two to confirm your observations.

I think I'll join you.

I'm tired of sitting in front of my computer wrapped in a blanket trying to stay warm! (heat doesn't increase till 7)
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You know this is serious research project requiring indepth anaylsis and blending with the expat "locals" right? :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Mark1111
Board Meister

Post by Mark1111 »

Queen K wrote:You know this is serious research project requiring indepth anaylsis and blending with the expat "locals" right? :135:

Maybe we could get a government grant...
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I've thought for years that our Canadian pensions, CPP and OAS and civil service superannuation, should NOT have indexing applied for those months that are spent outside Canada. Just as an incentive to stay home and spend it in Canada. The information of when you leave and return is readily available from the our border security. Private pension income, of course, wouldn't be affected by this, but just the gubment income.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Mrmarvingardens wrote:Like others on here...who cares if you want to live in Mexico...That said it provides for dialogue.
Something the couple did not say about their move.
A foreigner cannot technically own property in mexico.You buy but in trust with a bank. and the government.

Other places have similar rules: Australia; Thailand to name two.There might be others.
Mexico is a nice place to visit.Would I want to live there? No..Likewise Cuba.Wonderful for a visit BUT not sure as a place to reside on a permanent basis

Not true at all. Foreigners are absolutely allowed to own property and many many of them do.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Man oh man.....you just *know* that those people are there getting absolutely :cuss: faced every day. It’s bad enough being hung over in the morning, but it would really suck to be hung over at 7pm every night.

That's why you never stop. You have to pace yourself. Take the last sip just before your head hits the pillow and then gargle with your choice of poison first thing.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Bsuds wrote:
Queen K wrote:You know, I've seen those videos. The ones where the expats are drinking, laughing, joking around. I am so incensed at them spending their Canadian pensions in Mexico that I need to investigate for a month or two to confirm your observations.

I think I'll join you.

I'm tired of sitting in front of my computer wrapped in a blanket trying to stay warm! (heat doesn't increase till 7)

Im' in too.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Mark1111 wrote:
Queen K wrote:You know this is serious research project requiring indepth anaylsis and blending with the expat "locals" right? :135:

Maybe we could get a government grant...

"we"? You're coming with Bsuds and I? And Mexi Cali threw his hat in too Gonna need a bigger suite.
Anyone else I should include as a researcher to get a bigger grant? :135:
Retiring early in Mexico needs a lot of support systems.

Return to “Grab Bag”