Provincial emergency alert

A potpourri of off-topics.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Provincial emergency alert

Post by Urbane »

I must be on some sort of government blacklist because I never receive the emergency alert on my phone. Oh, you think it's my phone? Well, it didn't work on my old phone and my iPhone XR is less than a year old and no alert came through on it either. I also have a different provider than I did at the time of the last alert. So that's it . . . please let me know if there's ever a disaster because the government has cut me off!
[icon_lol2.gif]
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Provincial emergency alert

Post by Urbane »

For those interested here's a survey you can take re the emergency alert test:

https://peasi.com/emergency-alert-test-survey.html
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I'm curious as to who your carrier is? Telus, Rogers, or...?

My phone made it's usual racket.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

This is the first time mine has gone off.

Used to be on Telus pay as you go and now on Public mobile. (yes I know that's Telus)
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

TylerM4 wrote:I'm curious as to who your carrier is? Telus, Rogers, or...?

My phone made it's usual racket.
At the time of the last test I was on Koodo and now I'm on Freedom.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Had my phone turned off but got the emergency alert on the TV.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Urbane wrote:At the time of the last test I was on Koodo and now I'm on Freedom.

Both small carriers - I wonder if that's it. Normal contract or Pay as you Go?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

All carriers were required to broadcast the alert back in 2018 but not all phones are compatible with the system. Link below will allow you to check if your phone is compatible.

https://www.alertready.ca/wireless/
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Nov 25th, 2020, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

Multiple phones and TVs went off. Iphones SE, 8, 8 Plus, 11 Pro, some on Telus some on Freedom.
davegourd
Banned

Post by davegourd »

oneh2obabe wrote:All carriers were required to broadcast the alert back in 2018 but not all phones are compatible with the system. Link below will allow you to check if your phone is compatible.

https://www.alertready.ca/wireless/

Except some compatible phones aren't receiving the alert.

I always sign a contract for the new iPhone each year and have never received an alert. Yes, I'm using LTE. Yes, the newest software updates are always applied religiously. No, the phones have never been damaged in any way shape or form.

If aliens attack Earth I guess I won't know about it.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

davegourd wrote:

I always sign a contract for the new iPhone each year and have never received an alert. Yes, I'm using LTE. Yes, the newest software updates are always applied religiously. No, the phones have never been damaged in any way shape or form.

Exactly my situation. Compatible phone, compatible service provider, phone less than a year old, and simply no obvious reason that I shouldn't be receiving the alerts.
davegourd
Banned

Post by davegourd »

Urbane wrote:
    davegourd wrote:

Exactly my situation. Compatible phone, compatible service provider, phone less than a year old, and simply no obvious reason that I shouldn't be receiving the alerts.

Maybe we should each purchase some old used phone that's like 10 years old and not listed as compatible. I bet they'd receive the alerts just fine.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Urbane wrote:I must be on some sort of government blacklist because I never receive the emergency alert on my phone. Oh, you think it's my phone? Well, it didn't work on my old phone and my iPhone XR is less than a year old and no alert came through on it either. I also have a different provider than I did at the time of the last alert. So that's it . . . please let me know if there's ever a disaster because the government has cut me off!
[icon_lol2.gif]

No Blacklist, they just don't love you as much as the rest of us :biggrin:
I got the alert on my koodo phone but no sound this time.
I seem to recall getting it once in the NWT where the only service is emergency numbers.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Urbane wrote:Exactly my situation. Compatible phone, compatible service provider, phone less than a year old, and simply no obvious reason that I shouldn't be receiving the alerts.

Was your phone receiving a signal at the time? Maybe if your phone is off or you're out of range you don't receive the message when you come back in range.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Glacier wrote:Was your phone receiving a signal at the time? Maybe if your phone is off or you're out of range you don't receive the message when you come back in range.

The phone was on and I was saying to my wife that this time with the new phone I would receive the alert. She said that my losing streak would continue and she was right. We did see the alert come on the TV though.

Return to “Grab Bag”