Retiring early in Mexico Couple..

A potpourri of off-topics.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Retiring early in Mexico Couple..

Post by Hurtlander »

Bsuds wrote:
jimmy4321 wrote:Travel health insurance should cancel benefits for those who travel to Covid hotspots.

They already don't cover it without added insurance which is difficult if not impossible to get.

It’s actually not very difficult..
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
squash junky
Fledgling

Post by squash junky »

Bucerias is also called BC-rias, as most of the people seem to be from BC.
We have spent the winter there for the last 6 years.
We decided to cancel this year due to covid, but from what we hear from friends there vs here I think we would have been better off there this winter. :up:
This is also the feedback we get from my brother who left last month to their house in Florida.
I don't know about a budget of 2000$ though in Bucerias. Our living expenses excl rent were more than that and our rent was more than double that.
We love it there and hope to go back again next winter and since we are relatively young, we are also considering moving there permanently. :130:
jv34

Post by jv34 »

I keep checking the Airlines and don’t see any flights going down.

Can anybody verify if flights have been going to the PV Airport? I know the Airlines on there web show it but this means nothing.

Kelowna, Vancouver or Calgary Airports have not shown any departures for quite some time to PV...I check daily.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

jv34 wrote:I keep checking the Airlines and don’t see any flights going down.

Can anybody verify if flights have been going to the PV Airport? I know the Airlines on there web show it but this means nothing.

Kelowna, Vancouver or Calgary Airports have not shown any departures for quite some time to PV...I check daily.

WestJet every Saturday in October from Calgary, every Friday and Saturday in November from Vancouver, and every Saturday and Sunday in November from Calgary.... all flights are fully booked. Probably more days added for December.
Póg Mo Thoin
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

squash junky wrote:Bucerias is also called BC-rias, as most of the people seem to be from BC.
We decided to cancel this year due to covid, but from what we hear from friends there vs here I think we would have been better off there this winter. :up:
This is also the feedback we get from my brother who left last month to their house in Florida.
I don't know about a budget of 2000$ though in Bucerias. Our living expenses excl rent were more than that and our rent was more than double that.
We love it there and hope to go back again next winter and since we are relatively young, we are also considering moving there permanently. :130:

Sorry, are you saying you were paying over $4000/month for rent?
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

vegas1500 wrote:
squash junky wrote:Bucerias is also called BC-rias, as most of the people seem to be from BC.

That's only $130 a day, a bit more if it's February.

We rented the ground floor of a house for just over $90 a day, 2 bedrooms though there were just the two of us. We weren't in Bucerias, but a small town much further south.
Many of these houses that one can rent out are owned by Canadians, Americans and middle class Mexicans. They charge what the market will bear.
Of course long-term rentals, two or three months, can be negotiated lower.

If you get away from Bucerias and the PV area, luxurious two bedroom houses can be had for $150 a day. And often that includes a pool and a caretaker.
Last edited by Babba_not_Gump on Nov 25th, 2020, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Here you go.
These are out of Kamloops, with a change in Calgary.
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/lowfaresa ... o-vallarta
Under $300 one way.
Damn, if only....
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

bb49 wrote:

Here you go.
These are out of Kamloops, with a change in Calgary.
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/lowfaresa ... o-vallarta
Under $300 one way.
Damn, if only....

You can practice all the Covid safety protocols in Mexico as you do in Canada, with the difference being you’ll be nice and warm in Mexico and not a snow shovel in sight. Actually, Mexico has stricter Covid protocols than Canada, mask wearing is mandatory indoors and out, and you can’t enter a store or restaurant or pub unless your body temperature is within the normal range and you’re wearing a mask.
Póg Mo Thoin
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

vegas1500 wrote:

That’s about $100USD/night. Not exactly unheard of down there. Yes, you can definitely get way cheaper, but it’s hardly a surprise.
You and 71 others Like this post
squash junky
Fledgling

Post by squash junky »

LANDM wrote:
vegas1500 wrote: Sorry, are you saying you were paying over $4000/month for rent?
That’s about $100USD/night. Not exactly unheard of down there. Yes, you can definitely get way cheaper, but it’s hardly a surprise.
4000u$/mth, which we considered to be very inexpensive for a 3000 sq ft appt right on the beach.
Other appts that were doing daily rentals were going for $500u$/day
We watched the whales breaching less than 1km away from our deck. Incredible.
Shop at Costco for wine and cheese, 3 large supermarkets close by.
6 day drive to get there.
Happy hour c$25 for 4 white wine, 4 g&t's and a plate of fries and walk back on the beach.
Fresh seafood from the market in La Cruz $10 for a KG of large shrimps. No moisture when you cook them, so nice, or tuna for $25/kg, swordfish and some other stuff. I sun dried a bunch of screaming hot peppers that I bought for 6 pesos/kg, fun!
Fresh orange juice or hugo verde every day from Mega, 30 pesos for a liter If I remember correctly.
*bleep* we miss it!

Return to “Grab Bag”