Rent Bank

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Rent Bank

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ear#318115

A solution or enabling landlords, some of whom owned long before real estate prices escalated, to continue to gouge renters?

And offering "financial advice" to people for whom earnings can't support sudden expenses on top of gouging rent and ever increasing utilitiy bills seems rather insulting.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Vacancyrate
Banned

Re: Rent Bank

Post by Vacancyrate »

Before the late 1980's foodbanks didn't exist.

Now we have rent banks?

We're going in the opposite direction but "world leaders" keep telling us how better off we all are.

Repeating it over and over again.

Sure.
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

Why does it matter how long someone has owned their home?
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Queen K wrote:A solution or enabling landlords, ...
How is this "enabling" landlords? In what? Landlords need rent payments just as much as tenants need a place to live. You don't want that relationship broken. I don't have very high opinion of governments in general, but I think this is actually a very good idea.
However, there has to be some deterrent from people using it habitually as an interest-free credit card. Is there a credit limit? Perhaps, allow landlords access to prospective tenants' credit draw history, and funds available ? Any other ideas?
Last edited by BC Landlord on Dec 2nd, 2020, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^ from the article:
Rent banks provide small and interest-free loans to eligible people who have the ability to repay the loans over a six-24 month period.
Chill
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Single person just starting out making $15 per/Hr at 40 per/week makes after deductions $2,185.78 per/month.

Let me ask all board experts is there 1 bedroom or studio apartment in Kelowna for $765 per/month.

35% of this individual take home pay to go to housing.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

BC Landlord wrote:How is this "enabling" landlords?
The same way fulltime Walmart workers use up billions in low-income assistance. If the help didn't exist nobody could work at Walmart because they would starve or get evicted. Those tax-dollars used for low income assistance directly pad the Waltons profits every year.

Walmart would either be forced to close their doors or pay higher wages.

I agree that "the rent is too damn high" but so are mortgage payments. As I pointed out in another thread - there is only so far we can run this real-estate economy because you can lend people larger and larger amounts of money to buy a home but renters cannot get a mortgage to pay their rent.

Rents are always tied to local wages. House prices can be far removed from local wages due to access to credit but at the end of the day you can only jack up rent so much and cram people into closets for so long before it gets ridiculous and the train hits the wall. We're right at that point.

Now, should we use tax dollars to give to renters to help them pay ridiculous rents, which ultimately is a direct stimulus to real estate prices to sustain high prices?

Do you think people that own homes worth 900k need MORE assistance from the taxpayer? A direct welfare cheque to their "mortgage helper" basement suite?

Do you think the real estate sector need more steroids?
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

GordonH wrote:35% of this individual take home pay to go to housing.
People who don't go to University don't get to live in a basic one bedroom apartment without having to share a bathroom with a stranger. Nice society we're building. Somebody please remind me how people in Mexico have it worse and why I should be quiet ...it's been 5 whole minutes.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

GordonH wrote:Single person just starting out making $15 per/Hr at 40 per/week makes after deductions $2,185.78 per/month.

Let me ask all board experts is there 1 bedroom or studio apartment in Kelowna for $765 per/month.

$15/hr is a minimum wage. It's never been that this alone could support a living.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote: Single person just starting out making $15 per/Hr at 40 per/week makes after deductions $2,185.78 per/month.

BC Landlord wrote: $15/hr is a minimum wage. It's never been that this alone could support a living.
So what do you suggest to this individual and many like this person.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

GordonH wrote:So what do you suggest to this individual and many like this person.
Hmmm, ... maybe get a better education, take some course or something, then look for better opportunities, perhaps elsewhere? There are many ways. Minimum wage job is kids' summer job. Anyone making it a career, doesn't have a problem with the system, but him/herself.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote: So what do you suggest to this individual and many like this person.
BC Landlord wrote: Hmmm, ... maybe get a better education, take some course or something, then look for better opportunities, perhaps elsewhere? There are many ways. Minimum wage job is kids' summer job. Anyone making it a career, doesn't have a problem with the system, but him/herself.
Small problem with your logic, many businesses that pay minimum wage operate 365 days a year. So fast food joints can only be open when high school kids are available.
This is also the case for large portion of employees at all grocery store. Generally customer service jobs pay minimum wage.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

GordonH wrote:Small problem with your logic, many businesses that pay minimum wage operate 365 days a year.
And my answer to that would be, ... let it be their own problem, not yours. No one is forcing anyone to work for a minimum wage. There are other opportunities out there.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote: Small problem with your logic, many businesses that pay minimum wage operate 365 days a year.
BC Landlord wrote: And my answer to that would be, ... let it be their own problem, not yours. No one is forcing anyone to work for a minimum wage. There are other opportunities out there.
Without employees all those businesses would either have to shutdown or increase prices to pay higher wages/ a living wage.
I don’t use fast food places or coffee places either, I wonder if anyone would pay 15 bucks for Big Mac... [icon_lol2.gif]

Grocery stores on other hand could be scary prices.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

"in January 2021 will help to increase housing stability in our community by offering interest-free, repayable loans to eligible renters in the Central Okanagan.""

Know what would increase "housing stabiity"? Lower monthly rents.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Social Concerns”