Libs Table UNDRIP Bill

cyruslosco66
Banned

Libs Table UNDRIP Bill

Post by cyruslosco66 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/31 ... us-Peoples

This can be the start of a new partnership between canada and its first peoples .
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Libs Table UNDRIP Bill

Post by the truth »

indianlarry66 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/31 ... us-Peoples

This can be the start of a new partnership between canada and its first peoples .
you honestly believe them :200: are you not still waiting for clean drinking water this time
Last edited by the truth on Dec 3rd, 2020, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

My issue is with the free and prior consent clause. Horgan says its not a veto, however many first nations think it is.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

A lot of lawyers are looking at this "law" and licking their lips, and there will be numerous industrial projects held for ransom and ultimately put on hold.
This Bill, compliments of the United Nations :-X is going to open a huge can of worms for Canada.
Let's hope that the next government pulls the plug on it.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

"It's a human rights issue. Who's going to vote against human rights?" he said in a separate interview Thursday afternoon.
So one is a racist human rights violator if not in agreement with this new bill. Nobody can vote against it now without fear of being a jerk.
"It is complex, working with indigenous leadership. You have national organizations. You also have each individual nation. Each individual nation has a chief or a leader of some sort who would expect to be consulted,"
Would it not be nice if we treated the chiefs and citizens of Rutland with the same respect. They didn't want wet housing on "their lands" yet it was still done. Why do First Nations need more rights than the rest of the citizens?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

bb49 wrote:A lot of lawyers are looking at this "law" and licking their lips, and there will be numerous industrial projects held for ransom and ultimately put on hold.
This Bill, compliments of the United Nations is going to open a huge can of worms for Canada.
Over the past couple hundred years, we have been getting away from rule by kings and queens. Leaders leading because birthright has for the most part gone by the wayside.
We have governments now elected by the people and punted by the people. We all live by laws now, for the supposed betterment for all.
First nations now have elections where the band elect leaders to represent their interests. Regional and national first nation leaders are elected as well.
Society has been working where elected representatives are discussing issues with other elected representatives.
Where I am completely confused and frustrated is the federal government has punted a hundred years of norms and have consulted with " hereditary" chiefs ( apparent kings) and the decisions of the elected governments ( and the band members) have been over ruled. This is exactly what has happened up north at the TMX pipeline fiasco in Wet'suwet'en territory.

Is this now the way industry and governments will consult with first nations? By-pass the elected representatives and just deal with the kingmakers?
The principals behind the UNDRIP declaration are fine, but some of the clauses if taken verbatim, may well cause endless bottle necks in the resource sector and chase investment away like the cancelled pipeline in northern BC earlier this year.
: https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/major-inves ... -1.4840402

I'm glad I'm retired now and sooo happy I'm out of the resource extraction business.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
DoDo1975
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by DoDo1975 »

seewood wrote: The principals behind the UNDRIP declaration are fine, but some of the clauses if taken verbatim, may well cause endless bottle necks in the resource sector and chase investment away like the cancelled pipeline in northern BC earlier this year.
: https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/major-inves ... -1.4840402

I'm glad I'm retired now and sooo happy I'm out of the resource extraction business.
I think until the question of what territory means is actually settled we are in for a world of hurt. As long as every square inch of land in Canada is in play we are never going to get anywhere. And we are no longer allowed to openly talk about these issues without the labels coming out as referenced above; so solving this question appears to be a daunting task.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Sparki55 wrote: Would it not be nice if we treated the chiefs and citizens of Rutland with the same respect. They didn't want wet housing on "their lands" yet it was still done. Why do First Nations need more rights than the rest of the citizens?

Nowhere did we sign away our rights, so why do non-natives get to strip us of them?
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

bb49 wrote:A lot of lawyers are looking at this "law" and licking their lips, and there will be numerous industrial projects held for ransom and ultimately put on hold.
This Bill, compliments of the United Nations :-X is going to open a huge can of worms for Canada.
Good, for far too long Canadians have enjoyed using government protections to steamroll indigenous rights when developing on their lands. Maybe the natives don't want logging and mining camps near their reserves where men can go and assault the women, maybe they don't want mines popping up all over their territory and changing the hunting and trapping. This can of worms is something manifested by Canadas own treatment of the indigenous people, the UN is just holding Canada accountable for it.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 4th, 2020, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 4th, 2020, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Reason: Off Topic
Brerrabbit18
Fledgling

Post by Brerrabbit18 »

*removed*
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

*removed*
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 4th, 2020, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic

Return to “Canada”