The little Hitler in all of us. (or maybe most)

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
edmskeptic
Board Meister

The little Hitler in all of us. (or maybe most)

Post by edmskeptic »

Talking with people from all walks of life, I am amazed by how much this covid scare has brought out people's desires to tell others what to do, and make them do it.
WESTman
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: The little Hitler in all of us. (or maybe most)

Post by WESTman »

Tell me about it, like living in the Twilight Zone. Is it time to leave the country? Where to?
"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind".
~C. S. Lewis
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I guess you missed the right wing response over the last couple years to one of the largest civil rights movement in US history? (If he didn’t want to be shot and killed by police officers he shouldn’t have broken the law by going over the speed limit etc)

Or maybe every republican policy over the last 40 years? And its religious supporters (there have even been several people on this forum over the years insisting that women must bring children to term regardless of whether it was from rape or if it a threat to the mother’s life).

How about the debate over hijabs and face coverings? And telling people that they cannot wear these?

Covid hasn’t brought this out in anyone. You’re just arguing from the other side now.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Omnitheo wrote:I guess you missed the right wing response over the last couple years to one of the largest civil rights movement in US history? (If he didn’t want to be shot and killed by police officers he shouldn’t have broken the law by going over the speed limit etc)
The BLM protests had as much to do with Civil Rights as a Double Whopper with extra cheese does to a diet.

As far as the OPs question goes. Stressful times triggers the human psyche and people react differently to it. Some become jerks, some become real nice. Most people have a breaking point, doesn't necessarily mean that they're jerks. Others on the other hand, do use this as an excuse to let their jerk-like behaviour flourish.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

edmskeptic wrote:Talking with people from all walks of life, I am amazed by how much this covid scare has brought out people's desires to tell others what to do, and make them do it.
I am truly amazed at the nutcases that are being exposed, walking amongst us, and furiously googling conspiracy theories.

People feeling all of their rights are being trampled on. Snowflakes melting in the sun at the thought of wearing a mask, taking a vaccine and having the slightest inconvenience in their lives.

I am also amazed at how science is taking second place to quack theories by people who should know better, but don’t.
You and 71 others Like this post
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I am truly amazed at the nutcases that are being exposed, walking amongst us, and furiously googling conspiracy theories.
So . am . I ..........
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister

Post by Staredintoabyss »

Original post: I am distressed how people from all walks of life are increasingly showing terrible behaviour patterns of a dictatorial or authoritarian bend.

Predictable follow up posts: Actually its only people who disagree with me who act like that, if people were smart like me and did exactly what I say they should do things would be better.
edmskeptic
Board Meister

Post by edmskeptic »

One of hitler's rationalizations was that people x are a threat to my survival and my race's survival.
And the end of that slippery slope was genocide.

Now I'm hearing: "people who don't vax, people who don't mask, people who dare to mingle with other people...are a threat to MY survival."

Is it reasonable? I think @KiloHotel proved that it's not.
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/71- ... 17-eng.htm
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

edmskeptic wrote:Talking with people from all walks of life, I am amazed by how much this covid scare has brought out people's desires to tell others what to do, and make them do it.
it sure has...........
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
WESTman
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by WESTman »

"The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience."

Albert Camus
"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind".
~C. S. Lewis
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

When I was in college, I read a great deal of Albert Camus, and in particular his views on "Existentialism".

What is the philosophy of Albert Camus?
As a philosophy, absurdism furthermore explores the fundamental nature of the Absurd and how individuals, once becoming conscious of the Absurd, should respond to it. The absurdist philosopher Albert Camus stated that individuals should embrace the absurd condition of human existence.

Albert Camus: 7 November 1913 – 4 January 1960) was a French philosopher, author, and journalist. He won the Nobel Prize in Literature at the age of 44 in 1957, the second-youngest recipient in history.

I also don't see any link between Albert Camus and that quote that was referred to in the above post.
Help me find the source of this famous Albert Camus quote.
Bring back the LIKE button.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

alanjh595 wrote:I also don't see any link between Albert Camus and that quote that was referred to in the above post.
Help me find the source of this famous Albert Camus quote.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants.
Albert Camus
Peace, War, Tyrants
Albert Camus (2012). “Resistance, Rebellion, and Death: Essays”, p.101, Vintage

https://www.azquotes.com/author/2398-Albert_Camus
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

Masks cover smiles and lowers hello's. It causes confusion amongst us. Sometimes that confusion is interpreted as anger even though love is what you got. Totally against masks.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

LANDM wrote:... melting in the sun at the thought of wearing a mask, taking a vaccine and having the slightest inconvenience in their lives.
Really? [icon_lol2.gif]

Inconvenience is going to the Bay, like usual, at 10:00 and finding out they open at 11:00 now because of coronavirus.

Inconvenience is having to wait two weeks until my special brand of toilet paper is in stock.

Inconvenience is having to look down while walking to see special arrows glued to the floor of Walmart, and having
to go up one aisle and down another, doubling the time I spend in the store, doubling the time I might be exposed to the dreaded virus just to get that toilet paper.

Being forced to get a vaccine is worse than Hitler. It won't happen anyway, and the government knows it.

Just mentioning "mandatory vaccines" is a threatening act in my opinion. Don't even try it. Don't even dream of it.

:chicken: <--- it will never happen

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

This particular Vaccine is going to be The Mark of the Beast anyways. Kiss your travel and employment good bye without it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Social Concerns”