Pair rescued on rural road

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: We have discovered fire

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Why didn't they call a tow truck?
Walk until there's cell service, call for help then walk back to the car.
If the only issue was their vehicle being stuck, stay with it, turn the engine on and stay warm.
Charge the phone with the car.
The cops rescued them. Does that mean they called 911? :-X

Some people!
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I feel badly for them.

He wouldn't stop to ask for directions and she kept saying, "I think we're lost."
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

In all seriousness, there is nothing to say that they had enough gas to run the motor all night to keep warm.
Nothing to say they had emergency supplies: lighters, matches, blankets, food, even chocolate bars. Nothing to say they had a phone on which they could use Google to find a tow truck phone number, what if they didn't? Lots of phones out there without data. Nothing to say they don't have a medical condition which disallowed for either to be up on the mountain overnight. Do you carry all your meds with you at all times? Nothing to say that their cell phone charger wasn't in their other vehicle, or sitting at home on the counter, "I thought you grabbed it", "No, I thought you did,"

Not to mention it is possible either or both have a job to be at today where days off are not an easy option.

Mr. QK and I locked ourselves out of my SUV, on my bday. He had his old cell phone, no data. We waved down a driver who kindly gave us BCAA's phone number. We were so grateful as the sun was setting and skeeters were dining on us. An hour away from Osoyoos on Road 22. Easy peasy for us? But this couple? Did they have someone just driving by? Or were on an easy walk out road? Does not sound like it when the RCMP had to walk them out, likely with warmer clothing to help them, and what of footwear?

These people did the right thing to call the RCMP to get them out of a dangerous situation. End of Story in my opinion. Because GAWD knows I'm going to get the "that's just your opinion."
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

oldtrucker wrote: I wasn't there but you would think that if the stranded people were on a forest service road, they would have built a fire if they were so cold. It's not like there isn't endless firewood up there.
You know as soon as they'd have built a fire the warden would have shown up to give them a hefty fine. lol!
But at least they'd have been rescued.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

If you venture into the woods in the winter solo you're not real bright
If you go solo without a full tank of fuel you're a fool
If you go solo without a winch or come along and at the very least a shovel you're an idiot
If you go solo without all of the above and no way to light a fire you deserve to lose a couple of toes to frostbite before you get rescued.
A simple shovel can save your butt in the winter and matches will definately save your butt if the shovel wont
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

A friend of mine once said, .. The more capable (off-road) vehicle you have, the more likely getting stranded, and farther away from any help. He was right. I still drive a Jeep though, but I know my limitations.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Maybe they were too old or infirmed to do a hike.
Slow News day - way better story if there had been something else happening
Wonder if they were hunting down a Xmas tree?
I haven't started a fire ever. Always a Bic with me tho. Should have a girl scout badge for that :/
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

BC Landlord wrote:A friend of mine once said, .. The more capable (off-road) vehicle you have, the more likely getting stranded, and farther away from any help. He was right. I still drive a Jeep though, but I know my limitations.
J - junk
E - each and
E - every
P - part
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Pair rescued on rural road

Post by stuphoto »

oldtrucker wrote:did too many people quit smoking and they no longer carry lighters or matches?
They may have needed that last match to start their joint :135:
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Anonymous123 wrote: J - junk
E - each and
E - every
P - part
Ha, ha ... Totally true! I don't even bother fixing things that don't affect drivability any longer. But I love it, as a workhorse.
Last edited by BC Landlord on Dec 7th, 2020, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

oldtrucker wrote:Maybe I should start up a basic bush skills class for city people.
Now would certainly be the time to do it. In all seriousness, I think you're onto something. You'd be giving people something to do outside during this pandemic. Like girl/boy scouts for all ages but without the long-term commitment.

An acquaintance of mine started an outdoor fitness class for kids and it immediately went gangbusters. Not exaggerating. Parents have to get the kids out of the house to burn off some energy and give the parents a break.

Throw an ad on kijiji and see what happens. :smt045
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Cross heart. Never. Not even when we had a wood burning fireplace. I know you are supposed to wad up small children or something, then stack some dry wood on top
When I lived Glenmore area, had a drunk hostess couldn't get the firepit burning like she wanted, I looked over to see her coming with a jerry can of gas. Told my friends move now! Blaze so high the fire dept came out.
Melted two plastic lawn chairs
I would never find myself stuck on some back road.. my idea of roughing it is no room service in a Hotel. A novel of my Life could be titled " Call of the Urban"
No need to wander into the back country to be devoured by a giant rabbit or something
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I am trying to remember if I ever started a fire besides in the oven when I forgot the tea towel was hanging partly inside. :135:

Nope.

OT, you got that group sign up sheet yet?

I feel for that couple, they had to find a way to get their vehicle out today. I hope they have BCAA or it's a pretty penny.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

No guns? :135:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

No fires.. :200: Don't know how to light one .. :200:
When we were logging in the winter we had one everyday , and a grill usually to get your sandwiches toasty brown and cheese meltted.. and sometimes if the boss was gone we would toss a full aerosol paint can in the fire and jump into our trucks to watch... :130: .... and quite a few 1/3 full starter fluid cans met a fiery fate as well....... a banging good time... :smt045
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Creative Endeavours”