Pair rescued on rural road

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Pair rescued on rural road

Post by Queen K »

Pretty sure I understand the start small with grasses and small branches, then kindling can't be hard to do. Just never actually did it. Maybe next time I find a fire pit in some rec site campground I'll try my hand at it for fun.

The pair who got rescued may not have had anything to use, not everyone carries matches, lighters and butane.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

oldtrucker wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#318557

I wasn't there but you would think that if the stranded people were on a forest service road, they would have built a fire if they were so cold. It's not like there isn't endless firewood up there.
Have people lost the ability to build a fire? Or did too many people quit smoking and they no longer carry lighters or matches?

As sick as it may sound, I actually look forward to getting lost or stuck in no cell service areas just for a excuse to build a fire, do some shootin', stay the night and be in a place no one can bug me.
Interesting post for sure. I have to admit, I might not have a lighter anymore in my vehicle. No longer smoke. I'm sure if I had battery I do have a spare wire I could short the battery out with.

I'm now placing old style wooden matches into my truck. Thanks !!
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

oldtrucker wrote:
Boosted632 wrote:If you venture into the woods in the winter solo you're not real bright
I do it quite often actually. Intentionally too. Never said I was bright.
I do as well but im prepared to be there not dressed for a sunday drive in september
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

oldtrucker wrote:
Ken7 wrote:I'm now placing old style wooden matches into my truck. Thanks !!
Get the 2 colour strike anywhere type.
Dip the ends in nail polish for water proofing.

I've got a friction fire once.Once. That's it. If I had to do a friction fire to survive -I'd be dead.

Go ahead and dip your wooden matches in wax. They will become waterproof and all that.

I was always told wax..never heard of nail polish...
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Brain fart, when I travelled late at night 6 hrs on highways. Smoked then always had a lighter. My father used to pass me a 26 of BREW. He'd recommend, if your fuel line iced up, pour three ounces into the tank. If you end up in the ditch, a sip every now and then will warm you up....

Oh those good old days.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I got the feeling that the couple who were rescued were Elderly.

Agreed tho - Gotta be some kinda dumb to venture out like that and not be prepared to spend the night if you have to.

I was in boy scouts for years and have had a lifetime love of camping and hiking. I've tried every kind of fire starting tool/product that exists including making my own fireproof matches with nailpolish and wax.

Know what I keep in my kits as an emergency fire starter? A disposable bic lighter in a waterproof container. Don't get sucked in with fancy gadgets and life hacks. Sometimes the simplest answer is the best. People will say "Lighters don't work when it's really cold". I say "30 seconds stuffed in your armpit will fix that". People will say "They don't work when they get wet" - I say "keep it dry then".
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Both my vehicles have a knife, multi tool, bit of wire, emerg. blanket. One might even have matches. I've started fires with the cigarette lighter, although some vehicles today don't have them.
I've cut the top 2" of my sock for both TP and fire starter.

X-country wax bag I take with me every time I go out has matches and a bit of tp. Day hiking pack, same.

Really not difficult to build and make a fire. Try it a few times...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

oldtrucker wrote: 3 day course. 2 nights
1 change of clothes. 1 wool blanket each, 1 steel can/ military mess kit,hunting knife, pack of matches (with only 6 matches remaining in pack-makes it real)- in 1 small back pack. (I'd include a proper survival kit for everyone with snare wire, fish line hooks etc)
1 day of snacks- the real food comes off the land. Snaring/fishing/ berries/roots
Leave cell phones, city attitude, and political correctness at home.
Don't forget one lengthy Waiver, signed and dated by the attendee, and police background checks for all.

That sounds pretty hard-core. Maybe you should consider offering different levels? Basic baby level is too much for me.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Queen K wrote:Pretty sure I understand the start small with grasses and small branches, then kindling can't be hard to do. Just never actually did it. Maybe next time I find a fire pit in some rec site campground I'll try my hand at it for fun.

The pair who got rescued may not have had anything to use, not everyone carries matches, lighters and butane.
Queen, keep a bag of Doritos in the car and you've got a fire starter.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Oldtrucker - might I suggest you start us on Pioneer Living Lite?
I'm thinking 2 hours, coffee, you show us how to start a fire.. what side of the trees moss grows on
And we go out for Chinese Food
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

seewood wrote:Both my vehicles have a knife, multi tool, bit of wire, emerg. blanket. One might even have matches. I've started fires with the cigarette lighter, although some vehicles today don't have them.
I've cut the top 2" of my sock for both TP and fire starter.

X-country wax bag I take with me every time I go out has matches and a bit of tp. Day hiking pack, same.

Really not difficult to build and make a fire. Try it a few times...
:135: On the same day? Did we need this image in our heads?
You got that NormaM? 2 inches of sock is all you'll need should you get stuck in a rural road situation.

I have been inspired to get wooden matches, once I found a lighter on a FSR and it worked. But I'm not that lucky all the time.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Ken7 wrote:Brain fart, when I travelled late at night 6 hrs on highways. Smoked then always had a lighter. My father used to pass me a 26 of BREW. He'd recommend, if your fuel line iced up, pour three ounces into the tank. If you end up in the ditch, a sip every now and then will warm you up....

Oh those good old days.
That was truly in the olden days. Now you take plastic 40 ouncers.
Black Dogs Matter
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Is alcohol and being cold such a good idea? :135:
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Yes
Black Dogs Matter
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm confused, I always thought alcohol was the great killer of people out in the cold, giving a false sense of warmth when in fact hypothermia can set in fast.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”