Memorials for family members.

A potpourri of off-topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Memorials for family members.

Post by Bsuds »

I am not one to like ads in the paper for loved ones who have passed away.

We have had 2 deaths this year, my Mom and just recently (a week ago) my son. I asked Mrs Suds if maybe a couple of custom made Christmas tree decorations would be nice. She mentioned that it might bring back sad memories and that something else would be better.

Maybe a donation each year in their memory?

I would appreciate some ideas for Castanet forum members. (sometimes the odd one of you has a good idea! :D )

Thanks
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Memorials for family members.

Post by Queen K »

Bsuds, I hardly know what where to begin. You've been a long standing member of the Castanet community it's unimaginable for you to be going through such a difficult year.

Would a memorial donation to your mom's favourite cause or charity be fitting?

And for your son, and yes, it is hardly fair of Life to be handing any parent this tragedy, would a donation to assist someone else be fitting? What were his favourite things?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Dear Bsuds,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

May his memory eventually be a comfort to yourself and Mrs. Bsuds and your entire family.

Donations in honour of both your mother's and your son's favourite causes are definitely a good idea. Or sometimes dedicating a bench in a favourite park in honour of a loved one can be a comfort.

Take good care of yourself during this difficult time.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I'm very sad to hear of both of your losses. That’s incredibly difficult for your family.

The ideas brought up are great ones. But the Christmas tree decoration is a great way to remember....you will remember regardless, so having a nice trigger like that will keep a positive vibe. Another idea could be an annual scholarship in their name.

Whatever you feel is best will be, ultimately.
You and 71 others Like this post
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Another thought to renewal is perhaps a rose bush donated to a park, through the parks board. Can we do that in Kelowna?

A favourite rose colour for each family member?

Or if not a tree, as Old Trucker suggests, a flowering bush? Lilacs?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

My heartfelt condolences to you Sudsy. Passings are so very hard to bear. Memories brought on by a Christmas decoration, a tree, a donation to a cause do need not be sad. Our most cherished memories are the ones that we shared in life.

Do whatever you want to have a material thing that will remind you to reflect on the joys you shared with your passed loved ones!
Chill
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I always wanted to get a bench in a park in memory of my dad. So I can visit him and talk to him. He's buried long ways from here.

But apparently I'm not the only one and there's a line up...

Ps: I'm sorry for you loss, Suds. Parents are not supposed to bury their kids:(
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I am also sorry about your losses Bsuds

I agree with Even Steven about the park bench.
I am thinking of doing that at Jewel Lake in my moms memory.

As for your son, would starting up a scholarship in his honor work?
To be honest, I was never blessed with children, so it isn't something I have had to think about.

Just an edit to add a link to a Parks BC dedication page
https://bcparks.ca/partnerships/sponsorship/
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

My heart is sad for you :( This isn't the year to get Christmas decorations - maybe next year
As we are both fierce dog lovers I suggest a donation in both their names to the local SPCA ( been a rough year for them)
As well you can get starts named for each of them - that way you can look up and " see" them
This is but one place you can register
https://star-name-registry.ca/
Stay strong my friend
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

BSuds - I am so sorry to hear of your loss, one on top of the other. To lose a parent is hard enough - to lose a child; unimaginable.

I lost my dad last year and that was hard. My sister made us all pillows out of his old shirts, so we'll have a reminder of him with us.

My sister also got some of those clear Christmas ornament bulbs, filled it with white feathers (implying angels, I guess?) and put his name on a clear label tape, tucked it inside. I was not really thrilled when I got it last year; it made me cry more. This year when I was unpacking it I placed it carefully near the top of the tree. My eyes search it out when I go past. I haven't cried yet (though even bets on Christmas Day).

I like the suggestion of donating to the SPCA, or one of the rescues even.

I am sending you hugs and wishes for peace and for the pain to grow less. I know it doesn't go away, but I think we get used to living with it.
I haven't failed until I quit.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

You have had one emotional year, BSuds. My only suggestions would be the same as mentioned, a tree, plant, bench or even a bird feeder. Whatever They enjoyed, which will bring you pleasant memories.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

I am sorry for your losses Bsuds.

I like in memoriam donations too, an animal rescue group would be fitting.

For a more permanent memorial have you inquired through a cemetery (Memorial Garden)? Many of them offer memorials without burial and they are permanent, and gives friends and other family members a place to go when they need to.

I hope you find what you are looking for, peace be with you and your family.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Sudsy - if you are still thinking about a christmas ornament just saw these advertised, West Kelowna
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listi ... attachment
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

zookeeper wrote: For a more permanent memorial have you inquired through a cemetery (Memorial Garden)? Many of them offer memorials without burial and they are permanent, and gives friends and other family members a place to go when they need to.
I am not one to visit graves, but think you are absolutely right about having a special place for loved ones to go to.

Return to “Grab Bag”