The difference between information and knowledge

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
edmskeptic
Board Meister

The difference between information and knowledge

Post by edmskeptic »

i think it will help everyone in their discussions to learn the difference between information and knowledge.

googling gives you information.
knowledge comes from applying intelligence to that information.

is it good information? bad information? contradictory? congruent?

too often i see credentialism applied to information.
that is the lowest level of intelligence. equivalent to brandism. gucci is better than prada etc. something must be true because harvard said it, or bonnie said it - even when it's contradictory.

thinking smartly is important for everyone to get through what's about to come.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: The difference between information and knowledge

Post by whatwhat »

edmskeptic wrote: googling gives you information.
knowledge comes from applying intelligence to that information.
The definition of knowledge:
knowl·edge
/ˈnäləj/
noun
1. facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.
It is important to remember where knowledge comes from, through education and experience, when trying to apply intelligence to information. I wouldn't go to a doctor for advice on plumbing, and I also wouldn't go to an internet warrior for medical advice.
hail Satan y'all
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

removed.
Last edited by Catsumi on Dec 10th, 2020, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offtopic
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

What about wisdom? I kind of considered information and knowledge to be similar, except you would apply understanding or intelligence to the knowledge or information you have. Wisdom would be like the application of your knowledge through understanding or intelligence to reach a best judgement.

If there is a subtle difference between information and knowledge, I would probably say knowledge is the encapsulation of information in the brain, but may entail more than just information, and include skills.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Jlabute wrote:What about wisdom? I kind of considered information and knowledge to be similar, except you would apply understanding or intelligence to the knowledge or information you have. Wisdom would be like the application of your knowledge through understanding or intelligence to reach a best judgement.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad :smt045
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister

Post by Staredintoabyss »

Didn't take long for this thread to become a contest.
edmskeptic
Board Meister

Post by edmskeptic »

I'm glad someone brought up the concept of wisdom.

But first we need to go back to knowledge.

Cutting and pasting a google definition of the word "knowledge" is information.

It doesn't indicate understanding.
For understanding, one has to apply intelligence.
And of the forms of intelligence, creativity is the highest form of understanding.

For example:

A person with information can build a nuclear power plant from a blueprint.

A person with knowledge can build one without a blueprint because knowledge contains understanding, and the ability to CREATE.

Wisdom takes knowledge and applies Judgement.
e.g. With the knowledge of how to build a nuclear power plant, should you actually build one.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Dec 10th, 2020, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try again w/o personal attacks
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

edmskeptic wrote:Cutting and pasting a google definition of the word "knowledge" is information.

It doesn't indicate understanding.
For understanding, one has to apply intelligence.
And of the forms of intelligence, creativity is the highest form of understanding.
Yes, using the dictionary is a way to gain information. And yes, to understand what the definition means and how it applies one needs to have some sort of level of cognition.

If you continued to read the rest of my post, you would see where I used said "intelligence", to point out that knowledge comes from the experience and education gaining said intelligence. While that is the definition, most people can use their brain to process this information and understand what it means in the real world.

Information: One can look at a blueprint of a nuclear plant and say "yes, this is a blue print of a nuclar plant".
Knowledge: A architect and scientist can built a nuclear plant from a blue print because they have the education, and skills to do so.
Idiot: Would try to build a nuclear plant from a blue print with no education, or experience of working in the construction or nuclear field.

And yes, I do believe wisdom contains all of the above, plus the ability to apply the information and knowledge with the skill of good judgement. Unfortunately, it seems many people are missing this aspect.
hail Satan y'all
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Knowledge is gained through practical experience. Wisdom is knowing what to do or not do with it.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
edmskeptic
Board Meister

Post by edmskeptic »

oh my.
some people still don't get it.
"education" and "experience" are not prerequisites to knowledge.
However, RATIONAL thought is necessary for knowledge.

there's a reason why entire university courses are devoted to theories of knowledge.
To make simplistic claims as some have made above may indicate a lack of education. However, I'd assert it actually reflects a paucity of thought.
Leonardo Devinci created knowledge from thought. His "education" contributed little.

Return to “Social Concerns”