Music threatening children

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Music threatening children

Post by youjustcomplain »

whoa. So, I posted this thread as I had just never listened to the lyrics before, though I knew all of them; everyone does.

The point of the thread is not an attempt to rally the SJW to try to get the song deleted or anything. Far from it. The song is not going anywhere, and I don't care if it's on or otherwise.

I just find it interested that Baby It's Cold Outside was far too offensive to be played on the radio last year, but this song is an ongoing, year round threat to children, and in today's society, I'm quite surprised that isn't also the focus of the cancel society as it was well put.

I'm not saying the song should be taken away. Just an observation of what our society tolerates and, seemingly randomly, does not tolerate.

Now, if this song made any mention of skin color, it would be deemed racist. if it was suggesting that a guy was trying to convince an unwilling woman to sleep with him, it would be rapey. But for whatever reason, the though of threatening children is still ok.

As for comments about "well, back in my day....". Fair point I guess. But we're not currently back in your day. I'm looking at the song from the perspective of today and where we are now. As for the point of "we used to have tall monkey bars over concrete and we're all still here"... that's a bogus argument people make. Cause ya, all those who survived, unscathed, are still here. The rest died or were badly injured. Again though, I'm not calling for no risk play grounds. Just an observation on today. :)
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

oh and "Be good for goodness sake"
The song doesn't just say that. It starts with a bunch of threats then says "SO be good for goodness sake"

This would be like a man holding a gun to a womans head and demanding sex, but not because he's threatening her.. no no, she is supposed to have sex because she wants to. It's kinda disgusting at any point in time to suggest that was a moral statement.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I sang the classic carol to my 9 yr old son, with some adjusted lyrics.

He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He's already cut the phone lines
There's really no escape.

He thought it was funny.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

JayByrd wrote:I sang the classic carol to my 9 yr old son, with some adjusted lyrics.

He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He's already cut the phone lines
There's really no escape.

He thought it was funny.
He thought it was funny because even a 9 year old knows that his house is all wi-fi and wireless. [icon_lol2.gif]
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Social Concerns”