Criminal Records checks/identity theft/credit card fraud

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
my5cents
Guru

Re: What ?? !! Private Criminal Records checks ??

Post by my5cents »

BC Landlord wrote:Another thing, ... How did we deviate from criminal history checks (the original post) to all of a sudden discussing credit reporting agencies? I see no connection here.
You're correct, my bad.

Basically the point was that here's another private industry that is doing something, IMO, should be done by government.

I don't think sensitive information should be sold to a private company for them to re-sell to the public. Be that a criminal record or a persons personal credit history. Yes, I know government has never collected credit history.

The security of the credit information companies was an obvious example of what takes place when private industry secures information. The old saying garbage in garbage out.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Re: Identity Theft

Post by dodgerdodge »

I was called by CIBC (checked out it was legitimate) and someone had attempted to open credit card in my name. Seems they had address and other information including my SIN number. I reported to Equifax and Transunion as they told me to and told my bank just in case. I have no account or connection ever with CIBC. Next i get a letter through the post from Government stating i had been refused for a benefit claim made in my name as they couldn't verify it. I also then filled out the online fraud centre forms as their letter suggests.
Now the interesting thing is i have not used my SIN number for anything except when i was on government sites, one for claiming the benefit we all got back in the spring and also the pensions website where i had to sign up and check my status in order to decide whether to claim it early or not.
Been trying to contact service Canada forever but its always busy and don't seem to have callback.
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

I had to talk to Service Canada 2 years ago and the hold waiting times were usually a few hours. I'm sure it's even worse now with Covid and all.

The only good thing I can say is that when I finally talked to them they were indeed helpful.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I tried calling them a couple months ago, and the message said it was over a 5 hour wait.
I didn't bother staying on line to find out how accurate that was.

I figure that if the government really wants to reach me, they will just send the RCMP over to give me a free ride in to sort things out :biggrin:
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Since the conversation has taken an interesting twist, off topic, I will update the banner to merge the identity theft thread

Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

ItsBigDaddy wrote:
mexi cali wrote:With consent, I can run a CRC on anyone. Nothing new here.

ETA: and a credit check.

Big man on campus! [icon_lol2.gif]
Seriously?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Criminal Records checks/identity theft/credit card fraud

Post by mexi cali »

I have had credit cards compromised several times and fortunately all were resolved in a timely fashion with no stress on my end.

It is easier to envision the types of problems experienced by some posters here than mine.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Social Concerns”