Is Planned Obsolescence Immoral? stuff that doesn't last

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Is Planned Obsolescence Immoral? stuff that doesn't last

Post by Thinktank »

Did you know ^ after exactly ten years of working perfectly - that program suddenly stopped working forcing you to get a code from Microsoft, which was almost impossible to get? They think ahead at Microsoft.

cheap socks. cheap clothing - does not last long.

I bought a tablet a few years ago. Never used it. I think it might be obsolete now.

old phones - obsolete. I got a two of them. Never threw them out for some reason.

The Covid vaccine. There's already a new strain. [icon_lol2.gif]

[icon_lol2.gif]
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Delta Dra 7187
Fledgling

Re: Is Palnned Obsolescence Immoral? stuff that doesn't last

Post by Delta Dra 7187 »

‘Solder and Gomorrah ‘

“The informal e-waste and metal recyclers of Agbogbloshie”

http://www.equaltimes.org/the-informal- ... -Fo3TSSnIU

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Thinktank wrote:#1
Did you know ^ after exactly ten years of working perfectly - that program suddenly stopped working forcing you to get a code from Microsoft, which was almost impossible to get? They think ahead at Microsoft.
Word 2007 did not suddenly stop working - it's just no longer supported by Microsoft.
cheap socks. cheap clothing - does not last long.
Depends how well you look after your clothes. Have socks purchased 8-10 years ago that are still wearable and in good condition.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

oneh2obabe wrote: Word 2007 did not suddenly stop working - it's just no longer supported by Microsoft.
I payed for Word 2007 - all legal
I installed it. But I never registered it.
It worked.
It worked perfectly for exactly ten years.
Then - suddenly one day - it didn't work. It said I need to register it - and I need a code from Microsoft to do that.
:smt045

I was mad.
I searched - and all I could see was info saying I can't get a code for it - it's not supported.
99% of people would have given up.
But eventually - amazingly - they sent me a code by phone and everything worked again.

^ This guy, who cares so much about the seven billion people on earth, is like a God now.
He will decide what the people of earth do with their lives.

He made his program suddenly stop working after working perfectly for ten years - so most people would buy a new program.

Planned obsolescence. Immoral.

Do you think Bill Gates wants Africans to buy more vaccines every year- first one is free?

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oneh2obabe wrote: Have socks purchased 8-10 years ago that are still wearable and in good condition.
If TT didn't keep putting his foot in his mouth his socks would last longer! :biggrin:

ps: what is "palnned"?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Bsuds wrote:
oneh2obabe wrote: Have socks purchased 8-10 years ago that are still wearable and in good condition.
If TT didn't keep putting his foot in his mouth his socks would last longer! :biggrin:

ps: what is "palnned"?
Palnned is a famed Scandinavian product designer. His children, Obslence Palnnedson and Prenthodd Palnneddottir have carried on the tradition with, respectively, a design house and a fertility clinic.
You and 71 others Like this post
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

oneh2obabe wrote:Depends how well you look after your clothes.
No it doesn't. It's called Fast Fashion.

In the last thirty years, the big corporations that have no respect for us, decided we should all buy clothes that wear out really fast, so we would buy more and more and more clothing and keep giving them profits - just like new flu comes out every year, and we keep getting a new flu shot, but never ever get healthy. They get the profits every year.

It's immoral.

we're getting ripped off.

Delta Dra 7187
Fledgling

Post by Delta Dra 7187 »

'Good for the investors; bad for the consumers.'

Apple got sued for planned obsolescence, and Nintento's in the works.

"If it works, it’s obsolete," Marshall McLuhan.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

oneh2obabe wrote:Depends how well you look after your clothes.
Thinktank wrote:No it doesn't. It's called Fast Fashion
No, it's called taking care of what you buy. If you spend your money on cheap stuff and think you're getting a bargain, don't expect it to last. BUT if you spend your hard-earned dollars on quality merchandise and take care of it, it'll last for years.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

oneh2obabe wrote: No, it's called taking care of what you buy. If you spend your money on cheap stuff and think you're getting a bargain, don't expect it to last. BUT if you spend your hard-earned dollars on quality merchandise and take care of it, it'll last for years.
So there is a tax on how much gas I use to heat my home. Maybe we need to curb our society's behavior on cheap throwaway goods by taxing goods that don't last a certain number of years to make cheap products as expensive as the good quality ones. If taxes work on slowing pollution by burning fossil fuels, maybe a tax on cheap garbage products will slow how much energy is wasted making poor quality garbage.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Delta Dra 7187 wrote: Apple got sued for planned obsolescence
I bought one IPhone and what a piece of :swear:
The moment their new model came out the battery would suddenly only hold 1/2 a charge.
I will never buy anything else made by them.

However they sure have their loyal followers, who wait in line for hours whenever Apple releases a new product.
They must be good at one thing. Self promotion.
Delta Dra 7187
Fledgling

Re: Is Planned Obsolescence Immoral? stuff that doesn't last

Post by Delta Dra 7187 »

stuphoto wrote:
Delta Dra 7187 wrote: Apple got sued for planned obsolescence
I bought one IPhone and what a piece of :swear:
The moment their new model came out the battery would suddenly only hold 1/2 a charge.
I will never buy anything else made by them.

However they sure have their loyal followers, who wait in line for hours whenever Apple releases a new product.
They must be good at one thing. Self promotion.
Might you be eligible for this?

"You can now stake your claim in Apple’s $500 million iPhone slowdown settlement"

http://www.theverge.com/2020/7/13/21322 ... ent-claims
Delta Dra 7187
Fledgling

Post by Delta Dra 7187 »

I know employers don't expect their human labourers to last forever, but what about planning their premature obsolescence through offshoring or automation?
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Software support is the biggest problem, and too much of our daily lives is depending on it, and draining our bank accounts with stupid subscription fees and its only gonna get worse.

Cars are the next step in this evolution, its already troubling enough with the trend to ridiculous infotainment systems, digital cockpits who's lifespan will be dependent on expensive software updates and the finicky hardware that will probably go before the mechanical parts of the car. To make things worse, car manufacturers are starting to build cars that have all the bells and whistles built in but if you want to use them, you have to pay ridiculous "activation fees". Some, a one time fee which will last as long as you own the vehicle, in which they will be "deactivated" when you sell the car, and the next buyer will have to pay a "re-activation" fee if they want to use the features. Other manufacturers, such as BMW are going to subscription based fees, in which you have to pay monthly fees if you'd like to use the features of your car, and if you fall behind in your payments, the feature gets deactivated.

https://driving.ca/bmw/auto-news/news/b ... bscription

The days of ownership and the self pride that comes with it, are disappearing fast.
Delta Dra 7187
Fledgling

Post by Delta Dra 7187 »

Delta Dra 7187 wrote:I know employers don't expect their human labourers to last forever, but what about planning their premature obsolescence through offshoring or automation?
I decided I'd see if I could answer my own question . . .

And I’m missing the pub after work because of our shutdown.

Also I hate drinking alone.

So I just paused this and got a beer from the fridge.

Because there’s nothing like ‘blowing the froth of a few’ in familiar company.

Return to “Social Concerns”