Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Let's get 'er started.

All of you will recall the panic buying of seeds last spring. By late May, early June many stores and suppliers were sold out. We even got caught short on a couple of items.
So today, walking through one of our favourite stores, there's a large display of seeds. :200:
We're ready for spring.
IMG_20210102_144834.jpg
Last edited by Babba_not_Gump on Jan 2nd, 2021, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Post by Queen K »

Good idea, to buy early and be ready!

Yes, can't wait for Spring. Now that the sunroom is created, I may try seed starting in it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I agree - best to be ready! I ran out of French Breakfast radish seeds last summer. While doing some shopping before Christmas I found a nice selection of seeds at Bylands so I stocked up then :)
I haven't failed until I quit.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Great idea.
I have some raised beds to build before long and have to fill those suckers up with something. The better half wants some raspberry canes but still lots of room for spuds, peas and a few other things.

Popped into Garden works. Bought some Brussel sprout seeds. About all that was there other than Dr. Bonnie Henry flower seeds...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Who's planning on something new for the year? I don't think I will be adding new plants this year.

I have a patio to build - (I have the bricks, just haven't had the time), I have an arbour to build for my purple grape. Any number of garden beds need attention (mainly keeping weeds down, repairing borders). And my raised beds need replacing, the boxes are toast. This time I will use cedar. That means, however, that I will be doing this very slowly, over the course of years because *yikes* that stuff is expensive! Plus friends and I are going to try to build a greenhouse this year (but that is another thread and one that probably won't be updated for months yet).

What are your projects? What new plants are you trying?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Cheap and easy greenhouse idea: remove the handles from dollar store umbrellas and insert over your tubs, bins or large pots.
Umbrella Greenhouse.jpg
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oneh2obabe wrote:Cheap and easy greenhouse idea: remove the handles from dollar store umbrellas and insert over your tubs, bins or large pots.
Umbrella Greenhouse.jpg
A good wind will have you chasing them down the street! lol
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Lady tehMa wrote:Who's planning on something new for the year? I don't think I will be adding new plants this year.

I have a patio to build - (I have the bricks, just haven't had the time), I have an arbour to build for my purple grape. Any number of garden beds need attention (mainly keeping weeds down, repairing borders). And my raised beds need replacing, the boxes are toast. This time I will use cedar. That means, however, that I will be doing this very slowly, over the course of years because *yikes* that stuff is expensive! Plus friends and I are going to try to build a greenhouse this year (but that is another thread and one that probably won't be updated for months yet).

What are your projects? What new plants are you trying?

THIS is the ideal time to be thinking about a greenhouse.
Get it ready now to be available to accept seedlings in about 6 weeks.

Seed starter flats should be filled, in the basement, moist, warm and ready to put the seeds in.
Start thinking about tomatoes and peppers, they are the slowest to start.
Bring back the LIKE button.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Popped into Lee Valley for another reason, but noticed they currently have a pretty good selection of seeds on display.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Thanks for the reminder.

Also, I was outside today and have all kinds of plants and bulbs pushing up. I also have five pansies blooming. :200:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Does anyone have a "Cornus controversa 'Variegata' (Wedding Cake Tree)?"
Curious if they survive in our zone (they should).
Gorgeous tree.
Thanks
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Zones where tree will grow
https://www.gardenia.net/plant/cornus-c ... iegata'%20(Wedding%20Cake,way%20to%20black%20berries%20in%20late%20summer
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I look forward to this thread every year. It makes me think of Spring. I really need Spring. No seriously, right now.

Thanks.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Has anyone started seeds yet?
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Tried to find Fennel seeds last year, thought the outage was a timing thing, so have search early this year and still haven't found any.
Are Seedy Saturdays happening?

Return to “Creative Endeavours”