Replacing all the water lines in the house.

Business and professional recommendations.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Replacing all the water lines in the house.

Post by Bsuds »

Recommendations please for a plumber/contractor to replace all our plumbing.

We have the Poly B pipes and need to replace everything.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
seewood
Guru

Re: Replacing all the water lines in the house.

Post by seewood »

If you were in the Penticton/Summerland area I'd recommend an amazing fellow.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:Recommendations please for a plumber/contractor to replace all our plumbing.

We have the Poly B pipes and need to replace everything.
Why? Are they leaking? Do you want to change insurers? Why the NEED?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Sorry nope. Kelowna
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I wouldn't do it. The risks of poly b. is overstated. But if I were to replace all mine, I'd do the work myself. Plumbing is easy and the materials are cheap. If you hire someone it will cost you $7000 bucks. Do it yourself, and it will cost you $500.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Glacier wrote:I wouldn't do it. The risks of poly b. is overstated. But if I were to replace all mine, I'd do the work myself. Plumbing is easy and the materials are cheap. If you hire someone it will cost you $7000 bucks. Do it yourself, and it will cost you $500.
As much as I respect your intelligence Glace , if you don't have a ticket , PAY THE MONEY ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

MAPearce wrote:As much as I respect your intelligence Glace , if you don't have a ticket , PAY THE MONEY ..
It's not hard to crimp fittings properly. If you can cook dinner or paint your walls you can replace water lines. It's not like he's running gas lines. I've fixed many a leak at my place (had copper elbows come apart, not the actual poly b). But if you have the money and you would rather be posting on Castanet, then by all means, hire a plumber.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Glacier wrote:It's not hard to crimp fittings properly. If you can cook dinner or paint your walls you can replace water lines.
Perhaps consider trying replacing a few of the easier lines yourself and see how that goes. Were you going to replace with copper?
Soldering can be a trick if you have to join in a tight place with flammables about.

Run the lines yourself and get a plumber to make the joints?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

seewood wrote:
Glacier wrote:It's not hard to crimp fittings properly. If you can cook dinner or paint your walls you can replace water lines.
Perhaps consider trying replacing a few of the easier lines yourself and see how that goes. Were you going to replace with copper?
Soldering can be a trick if you have to join in a tight place with flammables about.

Run the lines yourself and get a plumber to make the joints?
He said crimp fittings, i.e. PEX pipe. No soldering.

Don't know why one would want to fuss with copper, seems dumb.

PEX is just rebranded poly b without the stigma. I have poly b and the insurance company didn't care.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

FYI, we have had several pinhole leaks that have had to be fixed. They can happen at any time apparently with the Poly B and if they happen in a wall somewhere you will not know till it's too late.

I could replace anything that's accessible myself but am getting too old and too many health issues to start ripping out gyprock to do the job so would rather hire someone to do it right the first time.

I am asking for referrals not for a debate on the pros and cons of doing it myself.

:topic:
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Bsuds wrote:FYI, we have had several pinhole leaks that have had to be fixed. They can happen at any time apparently with the Poly B and if they happen in a wall somewhere you will not know till it's too late.

I could replace anything that's accessible myself but am getting too old and too many health issues to start ripping out gyprock to do the job so would rather hire someone to do it right the first time.

I am asking for referrals not for a debate on the pros and cons of doing it myself.

:topic:
If you lived in Vancouver I'd have a budget friendly recommendation. Now that I do my own I haven't looked in Kelowna.

Best of luck!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Sorry I have no recommendation for a plumber Bsuds, but I would make the suggestion, if feasible....

Don't just replace line, for line. Consider upgrading the system to the manifold system. If your hot water tank is getting on in age, consider replacing it while you have a tradesman doing all this work. (they should be replaced every 10 years, not when they start leaking [some insurance companies require it])

Granted you will be required to upgrade your system to current plumbing codes anyway because of the complete replacement, but consider a few extras since you are already replacing the system.

Basically a manifold systems distributes all water from a single source usually near where the water main enters the home. Each appliance, sink, toilet, washing machine has a dedicated line from the manifold, thus the pressure remains the same for each appliance throughout the system.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

Food for thought..... if really concerned,,, also install one or more... Suggest Honeywell water monitor gadgest,,, if it finds moisture with the probe, it sends a message to your phone.... about 65.00 or so..( Have one beside the basement drain next to the washer and dryer.. just in case that is the low point in my basement..)
Or I see the ultimate water turn off device at Home Depot... is about 700.00 so if any water is detected it shuts the main water flow off... plus install of course..
Seems like pin holes are your problem..fix them and make sure you have good water damage insurance as well as above and see how it goes..
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

my5cents wrote: Basically a manifold systems distributes all water from a single source usually near where the water main enters the home. Each appliance, sink, toilet, washing machine has a dedicated line from the manifold, thus the pressure remains the same for each appliance throughout the system.
That sounds so beautiful.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote:Basically a manifold systems distributes all water from a single source usually near where the water main enters the home. .
Yes I have seen those on Holme's for Homes and would be on my wish list.

Hot water tank does not need replacing yet as it was done a few years ago.

As far as fixing any pin holes that come up when it starts happening it means the plumbing is starting to rot from the inside out and it is better/safer to replace than wait for a catastrophe.

Return to “Referrals”