Traffic circle/roundabout for Alexis Park Drive

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Traffic circle/roundabout for Alexis Park Drive

Post by bob vernon »

The City of Vernon is considering putting in a roundabout at the intersection of Alexis Park Drive and Turtle Mountain Boulevard. With a lot more development to be built up on Turtle Mountain, the traffic flowing down that road will be much greater. Is this a good idea or bad?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Traffic circle/roundabout for Alexis Park Drive

Post by GordonH »

If drivers actually learn how to use it properly, they work well.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

If the city is considering more round a bouts then maybe they should send a qualified engineer down to Australia to see how proper ones are built and operate. I lived down under for 10 years and believe our round a bouts are no where near what theirs are and they sure work.
A little information on the ones in town especially on Pleasant Valley road, as I live in East Hill near the 35th avenue round a bout and believe me between the old intersection and now all emergency vehicles do not use either the 32 or 35 avenue access. Why you ask simple to make the turns at high speeds slows the vehicles down and as a former fire fighter the fire trucks when turning at medium speed with a full load are not easy to control. So what happens is they go down to 39 or 40 avenue and then go up.
I did question the Pleasant Valley and 35 round a bout at the information session and basically told that I did not know what I was talking about, also as we live in this area I do not use either access either.
So if Alexis drive residents want to see more vehicles on side streets then let them do this, as the traffic on 25 Street went up by 150 percent after the new round a bout on 35 Avenue, how do I know because from 7m-6pm the traffic especially from the operations department, school and construction companies makes driving and cycling dangerous.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

tabubil wrote:If the city is considering more round a bouts then maybe they should send a qualified engineer down to Australia to see how proper ones are built and operate. I lived down under for 10 years and believe our round a bouts are no where near what theirs are and they sure work.
A little information on the ones in town especially on Pleasant Valley road, as I live in East Hill near the 35th avenue round a bout and believe me between the old intersection and now all emergency vehicles do not use either the 32 or 35 avenue access. Why you ask simple to make the turns at high speeds slows the vehicles down and as a former fire fighter the fire trucks when turning at medium speed with a full load are not easy to control. So what happens is they go down to 39 or 40 avenue and then go up.
I did question the Pleasant Valley and 35 round a bout at the information session and basically told that I did not know what I was talking about, also as we live in this area I do not use either access either.
So if Alexis drive residents want to see more vehicles on side streets then let them do this, as the traffic on 25 Street went up by 150 percent after the new round a bout on 35 Avenue, how do I know because from 7m-6pm the traffic especially from the operations department, school and construction companies makes driving and cycling dangerous.
Have you considered the possibility that you truly do not know what you're talkin about. And the Turning loaded fire truck is a heck of a lot different than a loaded turning ambulance. Huge difference. Check the wheelbase
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Great idea! We need to address traffic flow on this well-used route as it connects folks from all parts of the Landing to North Vernon (not only for Turtle Mountain residents).
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

tabubil wrote: as the traffic on 25 Street went up by 150 percent after the new round a bout on 35 Avenue, how do I know because from 7m-6pm the traffic especially from the operations department, school and construction companies makes driving and cycling dangerous.
25 has always been an option, way before the circles, it bypasses the stops at 43 and 39
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Ingevan22 wrote:Great idea! We need to address traffic flow on this well-used route as it connects folks from all parts of the Landing to North Vernon (not only for Turtle Mountain residents).
Better yet, make Alexis and Old Kamloops Road part of a bypass route, punch it through and make a Commonage connection
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

It’s a great idea....now teach people in BC how to use them.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Brushy Bill wrote: Better yet, make Alexis and Old Kamloops Road part of a bypass route, punch it through and make a Commonage connection
Old Kamloops Road, Alexis Park Drive, 37th Street... of course at 30th ave one hits a problem, lots of buildings all the way to Mission Drive.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

Have you considered the possibility that you truly do not know what you're talkin about. And the Turning loaded fire truck is a heck of a lot different than a loaded turning ambulance. Huge difference. Check the wheelbase

I apologize for the long time in response but I was on my month of no social media. Now in regards to your comment. I would first like to say I do not know what licenses you have but let me inform you of my qualifications When I was 18 I took and passed by class and got my license to drive on 1/4 mile strips which I used many times. Since then I have received when I graduated from the police academy my high speed defensive and interception drive ticket. I then while working as a volunteer fire department my air ticket, split shift and emergency driving ticket for driving a fire truck, which I did not 5 years. I also received my emergency driving ticket as an emergency back up ambulance driver on the fat Albert trucks.
So believe me when I say I know about turning fire truck load with full load of shifting water and about driving and turning an ambulance that is top heavy. So I do know about wheel bases and dynamic loads.
*removed*
Last edited by Catsumi on Feb 7th, 2021, 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Personal attack

Return to “North Okanagan”