it's Coffee Time

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

it's Coffee Time

Post by stuphoto »

I grabbed a 1/2 pound of Raw coffee beans from my favorite Micro Roasters the other day with the intention of roasting them on the stovetop.
This is my second attempt.

Shortly after adding the beans.
I used a cast iron skillet the first round but wanted the contrast for the photos.

10 minutes in

About 15 minutes in

It's a smoky process
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: it's Coffee Time

Post by stuphoto »

Into a sive at 25 minutes to cool and remove the dry flaking residue

Quite a bit comes off
For the most part, my understanding is the cleaner you get the beans the more expensive it usually is.
There are of course exceptions to every rule.

The finished product.

Next step is placing them in a sealed container or bag for a few days opening it a couple of times a day over the next few days.
I should be able to try my experiment on Sunday or Monday and will take photos of the grinding and final cup at that time.

A quick edit,
My first batch was roasted at a higher temperature and took around 15 minutes rather than the 25 minutes this one took.
The reason why I did this is after some research I discovered that a slower roast brings out a natural, more fruity taste.
I am very curious to see if I can taste the difference and which one I may prefer.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

And you were doing this at 2 in the morning? :200:
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Best part of the day ... nobody else awake to bother you.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

bb49 wrote:And you were doing this at 2 in the morning? :200:
I have a confession,
I am an addict, and drink too much coffee.
Keeping me up all night some nights [icon_lol2.gif]

I honestly do have a little insomnia some nights. Last night was one$
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Lot of work with potential of smoke detectors going off.

McD’s makes a acceptable coffee & some of their locations are open 24Hrs.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Most folks roasting their own coffee will have their range hood fan on or else crack open a window with a fan blowing out if the weather isn't that cold.

No sense wasting gas going to McD's to grab a cup of joe when you can make it at home.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

oneh2obabe wrote:^^^Most folks roasting their own coffee will have their range hood fan on or else crack open a window with a fan blowing out if the weather isn't that cold.

No sense wasting gas going to McD's to grab a cup of joe when you can make it at home.
You want common sense at 2 in the morning? [icon_lol2.gif]
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oneh2obabe wrote:
We bought a can of their coffee to try.

Anyone want it! lol
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

oneh2obabe wrote:^^^Most folks roasting their own coffee will have their range hood fan on or else crack open a window with a fan blowing out if the weather isn't that cold.

Never know stuphoto could live across the street from McD’s. :138:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

oneh2obabe wrote: No sense wasting gas going to McD's to grab a cup of joe when you can make it at home.
Bsuds wrote: We bought a can of their coffee to try.

Anyone want it! lol
No thanks, when or if I want coffee (which is very rare) I perk kicking horse.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Gordon, you are right about McDonald's coffee. Very tasty and good value.
If you have a chance try the new A&W coffee in the next 2 days. It tastes similar to McD's and the best part is free until the 17th.
I am staying at my moms house cleaning it up in Midway now, so basically an hour trip to the closest McDonald's.

I know the owners of the Rock Creek Trading post , so they didn't mind selling me the beans.
They have a good reputation for quality and taste.

It sounds like oneh2obabe knows something about home roasting.
It is something I have wanted to try for a while now.

It isn't cost effective, but a very enjoyable experience in it's own way.
I will be roasting more in the near future.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

If you're serious about wanting to start roasting beans yourself, check out the Nesco coffee roaster - on sale right now at Wayfair.

https://www.wayfair.ca/keyword.php?pref ... ee+roaster

stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

That does look like the perfect machine, at a good price.
With me scheduled to head North for work in a couple weeks and then moving upon my return I will pass on it for now.

This will be a tough winter, 3 to 6 weeks with nothing but camp coffee.
I could usually at least escape to the Yellowknife McDonald's every few days other years, but not this year.
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

Many years ago I was working out of town and the only coffee available was perked by my boss.He would wake up extra early and perk a pot, take the first cup and pour the rest into a thermos for himself. Refill the pot with water and re-perk the same grounds again for the rest of us. Worst cup of coffee ever made!

Return to “Creative Endeavours”