Letter to the Editor "Thank you, Castanet"

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Teaps
Board Meister

Letter to the Editor "Thank you, Castanet"

Post by Teaps »

I would like someone to PLEASE show me in the bible, where it says Jesus Christ was Born on December 25th. I would like someone to show me in the bible, where it states that Jesus Christ was even born in the Winter? It says in Luke 2:8;

"There were also in that same country shepherds living out of doors and keeping watches in the night over their flocks."

It is well known that Isreali winters are very cold and during a December it can be anywhere between 3* and -10*. The shepherds would NOT be living outside with their sheep in December.

I would like someone to come up with a scripture to Prove to me that Jesus Christ was born on December 25th.
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

from the letter...

"it is CHRISTMAS, the day we celebrate the BIRTH OF CHRIST!"

The writer wasn't saying that December 25th was the birth of Christ, only the day we celebrate it.

I'm am not a religious person, but I am aware that it is not the bible that declares December 25th. It was a date chosen in the 4th century, knowing that no one knew, for sure, the date of Christ's birth.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Where was it said that Jesus was born in Kelowna?

Why is this posted in the Kelowna thread?

I have never seen proof in any other Kelowna threads that Jesus was born here?
new in town
Übergod

Post by new in town »

onestop67 wrote:
I have never seen proof in any other Kelowna threads that Jesus was born here?

The Jedi-Jesus ? What more proof do you need.

:smt102
"War is the total failure of the human spirit" - Robert Fisk
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Here is information from a non-religious, unbiased source:

http://christmas.howstuffworks.com/christmas1.htm
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Great Link KC - that's a very nice summary of what I was taught about how we have our present day Christmas celebrations.
:124:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

this will tell you the truth about J.C. The whole story is just that.....a story.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
unfazed
Übergod

Post by unfazed »

I was initially under the impression that Christmas was the time of year we celebrate Santa giving presents to kids. then I grew up and understood that we celebrated people giving other people presents and taking a break from work to visit family and friends. Maybe, in the back of my mind, I recalled that *some* people celebrate the "birth" of Jesus. But our family certainly didn't participate in that celebration, despite the presence of a nativity scene on the mantle, which my mom made out of stained glass. It was cool to look at but we didn't actually believe that a virgin gave birth to the son of god. That's just silly.

Shoving the idea of the "birth of Christ" down people's throats is not what Christmas is about. Just because its called CHRISTmas doesn't mean that Christians have the market on Christmas cornered. As other people have pointed out, pagans have celebrated the winter solstice looooooong before Christmas was invented.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

unfazed wrote:Shoving the idea of the "birth of Christ" down people's throats is not what Christmas is about. Just because its called CHRISTmas doesn't mean that Christians have the market on Christmas cornered. As other people have pointed out, pagans have celebrated the winter solstice looooooong before Christmas was invented.

that has to be the funniest thing i have read all day. CHRISTmas isn't about Christ. wow. :lol:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
tikbor
Fledgling

Post by tikbor »

No kidding, Ferri - unbelievable, Unfazed - how completely ignorant can one be? Did you grow up with your family under a rock or what??? Your mom must have known something about Christ to have made a nativity from stained glass, no?

Even Santa (Saint Nicholas) was a clergyman who back in the 4th or 5th century helped a poor man to take care of his family and marry off his three daughters by throwing three small bags of gold (for each daughter's dowry) down the chimney (to save face for the father). Saint Nicholas was from a very wealthy family, but that's how the spirit or legend of Santa began, about 1,500 years ago, by a Christian (priest? don't recall his official 'title', just that he was a man of God).

If you'd like to rename your celebration to something more appropriate, leave 'Christ-mas' out of it; you are not celebrating Christmas and have no business using that name.
new in town
Übergod

Post by new in town »

tikbor wrote:If you'd like to rename your celebration to something more appropriate, leave 'Christ-mas' out of it; you are not celebrating Christmas and have no business using that name.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2071442_celebra ... stmas.html
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

post all the links you want NIT. Christians celebrate the birth of Christ on the same day every year, and have for a long time. if you would like to change the date go ahead.
i'm also curious, is it just Christians that a bunch of you have problems with or all religions?
― Albert Einstein
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

erm new in town I have a problem with that link you posted.
It says that christmas is an adaptation of a Wiccan holiday?
I'd like to know how that is possible seeing as the Wiccan religion was formed in the 50's by a man named gerald gardener.

Adaptation of several pagan holidays I'll definitely agree to, wicca??? not a chance.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i used to have a site that debunked a bunch of that garbage. i will have to see if i can find it again.
― Albert Einstein
new in town
Übergod

Post by new in town »

ferri wrote:post all the links you want NIT. Christians celebrate the birth of Christ on the same day every year, and have for a long time. if you would like to change the date go ahead.
i'm also curious, is it just Christians that a bunch of you have problems with or all religions?

What is it with you people, and especially from a Mod. I expect a more open mindset from you and a more neutral attitude towards debate.

I posted a link that showed how people can celebrate the season without it necessarily having to be a Christmas festivity.

How you can take that so defensively, I have no idea. I attacked nobody and no religion.

Personally FWIW I have no issues with any religions so long as the practicers of same are open minded, peace loving and of good intention, not having to resort to crusading or attacking others and intending no harm to anyone.

Your deductions and assumptions about me say enough about you, and I will fully defend my position.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”