Letter to the Editor "Thank you, Castanet"

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

huh? :lol: coal in your stocking this year? i asked you a question and made a statement. and yeah, i do get fed up with people spitting on my beliefs, especially when there are sweeping statements about them. as far as i know no Lutherans have gone on murderous crusades. :127:

by the way, when i became a moderator i wasn't forced to change or deny my religion.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
new in town
Übergod

Post by new in town »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:erm new in town I have a problem with that link you posted.
It says that christmas is an adaptation of a Wiccan holiday?
I'd like to know how that is possible....

Sure, I'm not hung up on the detail. It merely shows that someone can celebrate the 'season' without having to indulge in Christian-specific rituals and customs, yet the wiccan/pagan traditions are close to many older Christmas traditions making it fairly easy for someone to follow, if they wish.

Man, there is much uptightness in the Castanet house today. Must be the Christmas (or should I type christmas??) spirit.
"War is the total failure of the human spirit" - Robert Fisk
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

the problem is all this PC garbage, don't say Merry Christmas because it might bend someone out of shape, say Happy Holidays. to heck with that noise. i think that is probably why you see people getting a little edgier than usual about it. :D as for me? i say Merry Christmas, and if they don't like it...well...that's just tough. :wink:
― Albert Einstein
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Growing up in a non-christian household in a christian town (kelowna)
Our family has always call this time of the year christmas to avoid any unwanted attention from the outside. We'd wish people merry christmas, and avoid any outward symbolism of our own religion just kept it all neutral.
Times have changed from 30-40 years ago, people are more open now to different religions being practiced here in the okanagan.
For that I'm thankful.
Call it whatever you want, celebrate it however you want.
Almost every religion in the world has some sort of holiday at around this time of year.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
new in town
Übergod

Post by new in town »

ferri wrote:huh? :lol: coal in your stocking this year? i asked you a question and made a statement. and yeah, i do get fed up with people spitting on my beliefs, especially when there are sweeping statements about them. as far as i know no Lutherans have gone on murderous crusades. :127:

by the way, when i became a moderator i wasn't forced to change or deny my religion.

I simply expect a little more open minded attitude and a little less of the attack. That's not too much to ask for ? Instead of people getting all righteous and stomping around with boots on.

Nothing I posted was offensive, or intended to be, whatever your problem is with debunkers or ranters, it's not my problem. Your perception and assumption is messed up badly.

But come to think of it, surely you can't deny that 95% of Christmas traditions were taken from pagan customs back in the day ? You're left with nativity scenes and carol singing as the few true Christian innovations. Or did I miss anything else ? :smt101 :smt080
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

yeah i was just reading that the Muslims are celebrating one of their Eid's, i can't remember which. :|
i actually find all religions interesting. once you start studying them you see how most (not all) have some pretty common themes. :)
― Albert Einstein
new in town
Übergod

Post by new in town »

ferri wrote:
i actually find all religions interesting. once you start studying them you see how most (not all) have some pretty common themes. :)

Except for Jedi which is in a league of its own :smt059 :smt051
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:lol: there are a few like that...though believe it or not i had a book that compared Star Wars to the bible. :lol: it had a few good points...not a best seller though. lol
― Albert Einstein
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Post by Struts 'N' Stuff Auto »

new in town wrote:Man, there is much uptightness in the Castanet house today. Must be the Christmas (or should I type christmas??) spirit.

new in town wrote:
I simply expect a little more open minded attitude and a little less of the attack. That's not too much to ask for ? Instead of people getting all righteous and stomping around with boots on.

Nothing I posted was offensive, or intended to be, whatever your problem is with debunkers or ranters, it's not my problem. Your perception and assumption is messed up badly.

NIT, I am finding the same problem with the attacks on this Forum as well, I guess good old fashioned debate is now a thing of the past!

Christmas used to be a Celebration of Christs' Birthday, but now it has become commercialized and has become more of a "All about Gifts" celebration, but there are a few that still go to church, and do Celebrate the full meaning of Christmas!
Teaps
Board Meister

Post by Teaps »

ferri wrote:post all the links you want NIT. Christians celebrate the birth of Christ on the same day every year, and have for a long time. if you would like to change the date go ahead.
i'm also curious, is it just Christians that a bunch of you have problems with or all religions?

Incorrect Ferri. Catholics, Pagens and SOME Christians celebrate it on the same day every year. Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians, they do not celebrate Christmas, please be more cautious and knowledgable before you make a ludacris statement like that next time.

Celebrate the full meaning of Christmas!

Please Struts and Stuff....Hit me with the real reason for Christmas...And don't say Christ's Birthday because Christ was born in the warm/hot months of the year...
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:lol: oh no Teaps, now i am scared!!! :127:

like i said before, you pick a day you want it (since it seems to mean so much to you) and see if you can get it changed. that will make it all better for you right?
― Albert Einstein
Teaps
Board Meister

Post by Teaps »

Actually just get rid of the whole thing. Throughout his lifetime Jesus never celebrated his Birthday and told everyone to not celebrate it, so why should we in these days and ages?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

as far as i know it is a free country and no one forces you to celebrate anything. so what's the big problem?
― Albert Einstein
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Post by Struts 'N' Stuff Auto »

Teaps wrote:Please Struts and Stuff....Hit me with the real reason for Christmas...And don't say Christ's Birthday because Christ was born in the warm/hot months of the year...

I am terribly sorry Teaps, I would love to answer, but do to the nature of Forum members, I must now limit myself to limited statements in fear of being attacked!
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Struts 'N' Stuff Auto wrote:I am terribly sorry Teaps, I would love to answer, but do to the nature of Forum members, I must now limit myself to limited statements in fear of being attacked!

Now you must??? lmfaooooooooooooooooooo

The way I see it, you are very much a minority in most of your opinions and that causes other posters to start replying the way they do.

The constant negative complaining posts do get boring after awhile.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”