Payette resigned

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Payette resigned

Post by GordonH »

impo the next GG should be a House of Commons all party choice... of course fully vetted.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

oldtrucker wrote:Payette would be tough for softies to work for and I bet she would set the bar high on expectations. As a astronaut and the other jobs she held In the space agency, you are surrounded by high achievers with no room for babysitting PC employees or anyone that thinks they should get a PC gold star for showing up. With her ,I can see it would be a expectation for her staff to perform perfectly or get it perfect, or get out. After reading her bio, I wouldn't expect it to be anything else.
I think I understand where you're coming from, and I agree with you.
However, there's also situation awareness, and she didn't have it.
It's essential for that type of job, and a short fuse and bullish nature don't work.
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/payett ... -1.5883082

The CBC haters won't hit the link, but this is a pretty good take on the whole sordid affair.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I agree her personality "type" helped her excel through life into the whole astronaut thing, but you'd assume playing well in close proximity to others is a prerequisite for an astronaut Lol
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

bernie428 wrote:
oldtrucker wrote:Payette would be tough for softies to work for and I bet she would set the bar high on expectations. As an astronaut and the other jobs she held In the space agency, you are surrounded by high achievers with no room for babysitting PC employees or anyone that thinks they should get a PC gold star for showing up. With her,I can see it would be an expectation for her staff to perform perfectly or get it perfect, or get out. After reading her bio, I wouldn't expect it to be anything else.
I think I understand where you're coming from, and I agree with you.
However, there's also situation awareness, and she didn't have it.
It's essential for that type of job, and a short fuse and bullish nature don't work.
As an astronaut/armed forces career that type of assertiveness is warranted and required to maintain strict discipline because you are responsible for other people in life or death situations. But as a Governor-General where your responsibilities and objectives are not "life or death" situations, strict army discipline is not needed.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Anyone else listen to our story teller this am??

The vetting process was followed. Funny, another politician said usually members from each party vet the Governor General. In this case Trudeau felt he was obviously able to do it. He sure thinks he is fooling all of you!! [icon_lol2.gif]
The failure of the appointment is not about the selection process but the absence of one. Had the Prime Minister followed the selection and vetting process that was already in place, it is likely this mess could have been avoided. If, despite following the process, we still ended up here, then we could have reviewed this and determined how better to select individuals for this role. The Prime Minister would have been insulated from any fallout that occurred. Instead of a failure of process, we are left with a failure of judgement – the Prime Minister’s judgement. This “quality” is on display time and again whether with WE Charity or SNC-Lavalin or the Aga Khan. The inability to get simple things right suggests this government will struggle to get the hard things that lie ahead of us done. –1066 and all that
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... -governor/
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

[/quote]
There is no off/on switch for it....it's why she was selected for the jobs she had. Flying and/ or and astronaut stuff is not a skill....it's a discipline- ingrained into the fiber of the persons being. It's just the way she is.
Part of the selection process for the space agency is having excellent communication skills to be able to work fast and efficiently with the other crew.
Not vetted properly?....There was no one else more qualified or accomplished for the job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Payette
As badazz as one can get.[/quote]

Didn't Chris Hadfield hit space? He doesn't seem to have the same issues.
I might be wrong, but he seems well grounded.
I will disagree with you, it's not a military type job, it's a ambassador type one.
As for vetting, yes, she had good qualities, and obviously some bad ones, but the process was set up, and Trudeau bypassed it.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

bernie428 wrote:
Didn't Chris Hadfield hit space? He doesn't seem to have the same issues.
I might be wrong, but he seems well grounded.
I will disagree with you, it's not a military type job, it's a ambassador type one.
As for vetting, yes, she had good qualities, and obviously some bad ones, but the process was set up, and Trudeau bypassed it.

You are correct. Payette is just a Swat and she was given the position as a Liberal card carrying patronage. Hadfield would have likely been a great choice.

When you leave military or Law Enforcement you quickly come to the conclusion people do not work as you did. When I was asked, or asked someone to do a task. It was done, and no one needed to walk behind you and make sure, or ask you twice to finish it up.

Payette was never military although was trained to be a astronaut. If she had management skills she would have been able to turn people onto knowing how she hads possibly high expectations, and what to do if you are not able to achieve timelines given to accomplish such tasks.

Reality is, she was well educated but that does not give you people skills, or management training. There are ways to get work done that needs to be accomplished without being a totally female dog which appears she is!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

bernie428 wrote: As for vetting, yes, she had good qualities, and obviously some bad ones, but the process was set up, and Trudeau bypassed it.
Yes, and because of that, and because of what an awful disaster she was as a GG, he should be taking the brunt of the blame.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

bb49 wrote:Definitely two outcomes I'll be watching for, where she pops up in the future, and most importantly the spin Justin puts on this.

I blew chunks almost this a.m. He can't believe we all think he followed procedures? He is full of it. The one reporter staged the vetting process question and he had point to express low and to his left he tried to cover.

Terrible, simply terrible!!
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

You wanted spin, you got it [icon_lol2.gif]

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.5883471

Classic.
Translated...
I ignored the already set up vetting process, and screwed up.
So, I'll set up a new one, with no proof the existing one wasn't good enough, so as to save face.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

bernie428 wrote:https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/payett ... -1.5883082

The CBC haters won't hit the link, but this is a pretty good take on the whole sordid affair.
Julie Payette might still want to debate the details of what exactly occurred inside Rideau Hall over the last three and a half years. But she apparently couldn't escape an increasingly obvious conclusion — that for her to continue as governor general would risk inflicting serious damage on the office.

"I am a strong believer in the principles of natural justice, due process and the rule of law, and that these principles apply to all equally," Payette said in a statement released Thursday.

"Notwithstanding, in respect for the integrity of my vice-regal office and for the good of our country and of our democratic institutions, I have come to the conclusion that a new governor general should be appointed."

Payette can now plead her case as a private citizen if she chooses. And if the next person to fill the role manages to do so with little to no trouble, the injuries to the office should be limited.

Payette will go down as the first governor general to have to resign in scandal, but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau does not come away unscathed.
:up:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Those suggesting Payette's personality is so highly disciplined she refuses to put up with people not doing what's expected of them in their roles may wish to reconsider, given her unwillingness to do what's expected of her in her role as GG:
Several sources said Payette seems to resent the Mounties' presence, believing they are being unnecessarily thrust upon her. When she was appointed, Payette bridled at the notion that an entire security detail needed to be with her constantly, according to sources with direct knowledge of her protective arrangements. Those sources said that led her to resist sharing her plans with those paid to protect her, leaving the RCMP in the dark about her whereabouts.

"In doing whatever the heck she pleases and changing her mind at the last minute, RCMP never really knew what to expect," said a former employee at Rideau Hall, the Governor General's official residence. "It really demonstrates a complete lack of consideration for the people that ensure her safety. It's all about what she wants. It doesn't matter how much it costs."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/govern ... -1.5684453

Trudeau's response to the public becoming aware of Payette's unfitness for the role he chose her for was entirely predictable.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

Post by George Orwell 1984 »

To top it off we pay a pension for her to step down in disgrace of $149,000 + such a travesty !!

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ ... n-for-life
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

bernie428 wrote:You wanted spin, you got it [icon_lol2.gif]

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.5883471

Classic.
Translated...
I ignored the already set up vetting process, and screwed up.
So, I'll set up a new one, with no proof the existing one wasn't good enough, so as to save face.
Stupid should just not try and re-create the wheel. If it isn't broken don't try fixing it, just use it!

Return to “Canada”