Integrity of the board

A potpourri of off-topics.
nanita
Banned

Integrity of the board

Post by nanita »

I am concerned about the integrity of the board, especially in regards to the politicized and polarizing topic of the coronavirus pandemic, the vaccines, the lockdowns, the masks and other measures that governments have taken globally.
It has come to my attention that there may be posters who are being paid to espouse a particular viewpoint, in an attempt to influence and bend public opinion.
May I ask if there are any measures in place to prevent this? May I ask why posters (like myself) who bring this concern forward are being silenced?
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Integrity of the board

Post by OKkayak »

nanita wrote:It has come to my attention that there may be posters who are being paid to espouse a particular viewpoint, in an attempt to influence and bend public opinion
Could you please explain how this has "come to your attention"?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Also, if people are being paid to have a certain opinion and push it online...how much does it pay? Asking for a friend.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

How are you being silenced?
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Are the conspiracy-theorists, anti-vaxxers and anti-science people actually getting paid?????

I never thought of that! It explains how someone can compromise their integrity and that of the board to get an "alternative facts" viewpoint in front of other rational people.

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of everyone. As for taking measures to prevent this, education of these people is always best. We can hope that they can see the error of their ways and that the entire world is not out to get them.

You shouldn’t be silenced for bringing this to our attention.
You and 71 others Like this post
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

nanita wrote:May I ask if there are any measures in place to prevent this?
I'm just curious, what "measures" are you proposing?
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

I agree 100% and was considering starting a similar discussion.
Regardless of whether the individual is a paid disturber, their behaviour on the board is negatively affecting rational discussion and proper debate.
Facts, truth and rational debate is being drowned out by the Covid troll posting reams of false sites, manufactured articles, and use of meta-facts to prove their conspiracy theories.
Certainly posts are up since the Covid troll and his contemporaries send back to back to back posts of garbage followed by supporting opinions for that garbage. The vitriol for truth shown by these others is disturbing.
A few brave souls continue to stand up for truth by responding but the majority of sane folks have just stopped participating.

Ban the Covid troll. The minor trolls are mostly harmless.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

nanita wrote:It has come to my attention that there may be posters who are being paid to espouse a particular viewpoint, in an attempt to influence and bend public opinion.
Geeesh, you've hit the nail on the head ... Could you please help me? My handlers are those cheap libertarian crooks, and the last paycheck bounced. I've had enough. What would it take for me to switch sides? Can you hand in my resume for me please?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

typhoon44 wrote: the majority of sane folks have just stopped participating.
If you ignore the Trolls they will go away. (hopefully)

Too many respond/react to them which just makes it worse.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

typhoon44 wrote: Ban the Covid troll. The minor trolls are mostly harmless.
Aren't we all trolls? :smt045

And if there is one particular troll you want banned, you have a couple of choices, move this topic to the Bickering board and call him/her out, or you can be hired on as a moderator. I'm sure they get paid more as a mod than I do to post on here.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

No, they aren't. They're volunteer. :)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Septuagenarian wrote:
ferri wrote:No, they aren't. They're volunteer. :)
Love you :kiss:

Oh, wait, can they be bribed?

Please notice I'm not asking you directly.
Is there a thread for bidding? :biggrin:
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:biggrin:

Here's the problem. We get reports all the time (especially during elections) that So and So is a PAID DIGITAL INFLUENCER!!! We ask for proof. :138:

As far as disinformation goes...spend 8, 10, 12 hours on here every day reading every post and you would probably be shocked how often you shake your head, roll your eyes and say, "Is this against one of the rules? Nope." So, just like anything else on the internet, scroll on by. Have faith in your fellow posters too. :)
― Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

ferri wrote::biggrin:

Here's the problem. We get reports all the time (especially during elections) that So and So is a PAID DIGITAL INFLUENCER!!! We ask for proof. :138:

As far as disinformation goes...spend 8, 10, 12 hours on here every day reading every post and you would probably be shocked how often you shake your head, roll your eyes and say, "Is this against one of the rules? Nope." So, just like anything else on the internet, scroll on by. Have faith in your fellow posters too. :)
But, but, but, If someone doesn't agree you have to delete it!!! :biggrin:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

You're so lucky your avatar is cute. That's all I'm saying about that.

:biggrin:
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Grab Bag”