Costco....This just In

A potpourri of off-topics.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Costco....This just In

Post by Fancy »

Urban Cowboy wrote:Who knows perhaps the disenchanted ones living beside the proposed new Costco will all sell, and in the process low income housing will be a side effect. :biggrin:
I wouldn't be surprised - look at the townhouses built near the current Costco - certainly didn't take long for those to fill up.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

I dont really want to beat the hot dog debate forever but because we were unable to travel south for extended time this year we are quite depressed. We have decided to head out to Hectors for some margs n burritos. Perhaps some ceviche. Viva Mehico :130:
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Urban Cowboy wrote:Not even sure what all the hype regarding Ikea is all about? So we don't have a store that sells *bleep* stick furniture, big deal, NOT.

Just go to Jysk, same junk different pile. [icon_lol2.gif]
Right? I moved recently and had to leave the Ikea stuff behind for junk removal. The movers said if they tried to move it, it would fall apart. You get what you pay for. Junk that doesn't last.[/quote]

This IS the problem as I see it, it clogs up our landfills , if it's particle board it has glue and chemicals in it.. in addition to using wood product to manufacture it ........Using wood is not always a problem .. unless the item has a short overall life. .. :smt045
Last edited by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown on Jan 30th, 2021, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
DoubleB12
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by DoubleB12 »

Mrmarvingardens wrote:The good news....you dont need a membership to buy a hotdog....at least not yet..
Just tell them you are going to the prescription department, which is also non membership
Since covid though its a bummer :-X .
You can\t help yourself to the sauerkraut and mustard and onions..Those goodies are handed to you in ilttle packets
And just so you know, the staff at the front door that let you in are making sure you go to the pharmacy if you have no membership. If you think you can just waltz over and get food you'll be asked to leave.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: This IS the problem as I see it, it clogs up our landfills , if it's particle board it has glue and chemicals in it.. in addition to using wood product to manufacture it ...lllusing wood is not always a problem .. unless the item has a short overall life. .. :smt045
That is the main reason why I won't buy new furniture.
Antique furniture that has stood the test of time, even if it needs restoration.
Or build it myself.
Yes it may even cost 4 times more, but will last a lifetime. Plus you can always sell it for a decent price.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

DoubleB12 wrote:
Mrmarvingardens wrote:The good news....you dont need a membership to buy a hotdog....at least not yet..
Just tell them you are going to the prescription department, which is also non membership
Since covid though its a bummer :-X .
You can\t help yourself to the sauerkraut and mustard and onions..Those goodies are handed to you in ilttle packets
And just so you know, the staff at the front door that let you in are making sure you go to the pharmacy if you have no membership. If you think you can just waltz over and get food you'll be asked to leave.
I have never actually seen the staff walk anyone in. Even it they did they wouldn't wait there an hour for your prescription to be filled.
They may watch you walk upto the membership counter but that's about it.
DoubleB12
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by DoubleB12 »

seewood wrote:
Mrmarvingardens wrote:I have always wondered why someone would pay a store a membership fee
It was explained to me years ago as to why one had to have a membership at Mountain Equipment, it was because of liability.
Not sure if it is true really but evidently one cannot sue if you are a member of the company you are wanting to sue. With MEC selling climbing ropes and the likes, might be a way to prevent expensive litigation if there was an equipment failure.
Perhaps Costco being American and the no end of frivolous lawsuits down there, it is company policy for shoppers to be a member to reduce or eliminate expensive lawsuits??
You pay a membership fee to reap the benifits of lower prices. As other's have said in this post if you have an executive membership you get a cheque every year based on what you spend. If you need tires, a TV or a new washer and dryer, you first and foremost save money right there. Since its a higher priced item you gain more rewards $$ back and the major bonus is Costco's return policy. Nobody can match them on anything. Sure you can find some "lost leader" deals at Walmart or Superstore and even at Save-On (but very rarely). Now if you were to buy the exact same things on a weekly basis from either store, you save more than your membership fee and then some at Costco.
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

I've purchased items from IKEA that actually are quite good. The 365 dinnerware is good quality for the price. The particle board stuff can be found anywhere so yes, overhyped, though the most recent issue of Consumer Reports rates IKEA generally better than La-Z-Boy. Costco ranked 3rd for walk-in furniture and 2nd for Online purchases.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

No, you pay a membership because it makes people who have one feel special. Brilliant marketing ploy. Heavens they even have tiers with fancy names ( all that to dive for your own box)
You can get memberships to most of the wineries here - you have to buy 3 cases a year but you get a free wine tasting and can act like a Lord whilst do you it. lol.
SNIP
" Psychology plays a part in the success of the subscription model. Membership means Costco shoppers belong to a "private" club. Also, the fee motivates action: the money's been spent, so it's best to use the club's advantages.

This thinking gives Costco its most powerful advantage: customers become loyal to the store. Having paid the fee, members are more likely to visit Costco than a non-membership store that confers no special benefits. "

Private club with $1.00 hot dogs, beat that Yacht Club!
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

The more you spend, the more you save!
Marketing at it's finest.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

While some of the savings are not that much better than Wally World I would much rather shop at Costco.

I hate the Kelowna Wally World! A lot of the time we go there for specific items and they don't have it in stock.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

$1.00 says there are anti covid vaxxers "who knows what is in the vaccine" enjoying a Costco hotdog this afternoon.
Not just the more you spend the more you save - knowing the revenue from the Membership Sales helps Costco know their bottom line re profits. They carry a limited amt of stuff, guess some people think that makes them exclusive.

As Groucho Marx said " I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

CrystalCity wrote:I've purchased items from IKEA that actually are quite good. The 365 dinnerware is good quality for the price. The particle board stuff can be found anywhere so yes, overhyped, though the most recent issue of Consumer Reports rates IKEA generally better than La-Z-Boy. Costco ranked 3rd for walk-in furniture and 2nd for Online purchases.
I called La-z-boy in Kelowna yesterday looking to get my mother a new recliner.
Was told the wait time is 7-9 months.
Their website needs updating, it said 5-7 months.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

featfan wrote:
I called La-z-boy in Kelowna yesterday looking to get my mother a new recliner.
Was told the wait time is 7-9 months.
Their website needs updating, it said 5-7 months.
We bought a sectional there a few years ago. What a piece of junk that turned out to be!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Bsuds wrote:
We bought a sectional there a few years ago. What a piece of junk that turned out to be!
Yet I have a la-z-boy right beside me that was probably made in the 70's
How times have changed in 50 years.

Return to “Grab Bag”