Cop cams to cost $131M

dakoda62
Fledgling

Cop cams to cost $131M

Post by dakoda62 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/32 ... five-years

0ver 10 grand a camera, sounds like the $700 toilet seat.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Cop cams to cost $131M

Post by Even Steven »

dakoda62 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/32 ... five-years

Before everybody starts freaking out...

The actual cost of the camera is probably just a fraction of that $10K, the rest is equipment for storing, retrieving, archiving the videos that need to be managed in a very particular way, and that's over 5 years, not just one.
dakoda62
Fledgling

Post by dakoda62 »

Remember the 2 million dollar gun registry, lol
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

People want the Police to be held accountable for their actions.

Cameras are a good way to prove they either messed up or did their job properly.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I'm thinking that they will save a lot of money in court time by giving definite proof of what happened instead of he said she said type of thing. Might also give the full story instead of bits and pieces like a lot of the videos. I've always thought they would be a good thing for all involved including the public that pays for all the actions involved.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

dakoda62 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/32 ... five-years

Wow, wow, wow...isn't that what the public demands, put a camera on every officer???

It comes at a cost, a GoPro would be insufficient as you know. They likely get aired to a cloud so that they are tamper proof.

Maybe you need to get techy and start producing cameras.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Smurf wrote:I'm thinking that they will save a lot of money in court time by giving definite proof of what happened instead of he said she said type of thing. Might also give the full story instead of bits and pieces like a lot of the videos. I've always thought they would be a good thing for all involved including the public that pays for all the actions involved.
The bits and pieces our Media throws out to try the Police without doing any leg work, yes I agree! If you are going to produce a video for the public, show people what created the problem, and have them accountable.

The last 4 videos I saw if the whole story was asked for the accused civilian wouldn't want it shown, ice skating in Calgary, sore hand in Kelowan, Indiginous Chief in William's Lake if I recall are three that come to mind right away.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

That’s pretty expensive for something the cops will simply have turned off or will “malfunction” every time they want to flex their authority a bit extra.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

^^^ yeah, it does sound expensive huh.

This PDF says the camera hardware is $800 to $1000, then there is training, cloud or local storage and a means to classify videos as evidence or not, a means to redact video, etc. Still seems expensive. I wouldn’t mind a break down. The hardware seems to be the smallest part of the cost.

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/lbrr/arc ... 34-eng.pdf
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Omnitheo wrote:That’s pretty expensive for something the cops will simply have turned off or will “malfunction” every time they want to flex their authority a bit extra.
Well if that's the case, we may as well just throw the entire project away.
Will that make you feel better?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Omnitheo wrote:That’s pretty expensive for something the cops will simply have turned off or will “malfunction” every time they want to flex their authority a bit extra.

Do you know what they are getting and how the function?? Let us in on it and just how they work.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bsuds wrote:People want the Police to be held accountable for their actions.

Cameras are a good way to prove they either messed up or did their job properly.
and the average person will now see what scumbag losers cops deal with 24/7
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

o look another cop bashing thread , out come the cop bashers
Last edited by the truth on Feb 6th, 2021, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Post by 1092 »

How much will the Municipalities and Provinces have to pay??
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Body Cameras

Post by Symbonite »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Poll/3242 ... y-cameras-

If I was a police officer...I think this would be awesome..this would eliminate about 99% of the he/she said vs He/She said with anything.

I mean people arrested say probably anything to get out of being arrested and going to jail.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Return to “Canada”