Travelling across Canada

jimmy4321
Guru

Travelling across Canada

Post by jimmy4321 »

If your in BC and purchased a home elsewhere within Canada, i'll say NS or Nfld cause its farthest east.
What are you required to do if you want to drive across the country?
If all you do is fill that fuel tank and have about 5 hotel stays going across.

Any links, experiences etc?
typhoon44
Übergod

Re: Travelling across Canada

Post by typhoon44 »

jimmy4321 wrote:If your in BC and purchased a home elsewhere within Canada, i'll say NS or Nfld cause its farthest east.

If you are moving permanently then do it and quarantine. If it is a second house check yourself and stay put.
Sure you will have minimal contact if everything goes well. What about when it doesn't?
The Coq is a mess, what if you get in an accident?
What if you have a medical emergency?
What if your vehicle breaks down?
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Are we talking just generally or Covid related requirements?

If its Covid related, then it depends if you are you a Public Servant or just an average citizen. :biggrin:
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I would honestly start from Vancouver or even better Victoria rather than the Okanagan.
You can't go that far without making it a Coast to Coast trip.
Bring along lots of film or camera cards.
Whenever you see something interesting just stop and enjoy it. You don't necessarily have to go in any place.
I don't think you will have to worry about booking a hotel more than a day ahead at this time. I haven't seen any full in months.
If you are Not crossing over the ferry, send me a PM and see if I beat you across :smt045
If I do, I will buy you a coffee if possible.

I think I am trying to say treat it like a holiday and enjoy yourself.
It could be your last Cross Canada trip.

Oh, about the Covid thing.
That is still changing daily, but they do update the information quickly.
Here is Nova Scotia's government site.
https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/travel/
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Now that I have officially sent my retirement notice we are seriously considering a cross country adventure with the travel trailer. Not sure what kinda hassles we may encounter but wonder if its worth it.??
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

typhoon44 wrote:
jimmy4321 wrote:If your in BC and purchased a home elsewhere within Canada, i'll say NS or Nfld cause its farthest east.

If you are moving permanently then do it and quarantine. If it is a second house check yourself and stay put.
Sure you will have minimal contact if everything goes well. What about when it doesn't?
The Coq is a mess, what if you get in an accident?
What if you have a medical emergency?
What if your vehicle breaks down?
Ha ha , what if ..........
Its Canada not Zombieland and it the Trans Canada not the Fury Road
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Noisy Boater wrote:Now that I have officially sent my retirement notice we are seriously considering a cross country adventure with the travel trailer. Not sure what kinda hassles we may encounter but wonder if its worth it.??
Worth what? Are you concerned with peoples reactions, or catching a bug? You do realize how infinitesimal the chance is of having an encounter or accident?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Noisy Boater wrote:Now that I have officially sent my retirement notice we are seriously considering a cross country adventure with the travel trailer. Not sure what kinda hassles we may encounter but wonder if its worth it.??
Every single client I ever worked with who did it said to me: "GO, and take longer than I did."
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I guess I meant Covid-19 wise.
I've driven across a dozen times in better times but if I bought a house and had to drive cross country to get to it.
What issues if any would I encounter as far as restrictions, hotel stays etc?
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Most hotels are begging for business these days, so I don't think that's an issue.
Whether it's properly cleaned could be a different matter.
If in doubt, I would buy a small lightweight travel trailer and haul it along.
You will probably love it for future camping trips anyway.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

We actually just did this when Covid all started. We sold our house in BC and took possession of our new house in NB April. 15th/2020

Be prepared for lots of dirty looks the farther east you go if you got them BC plates! We got questioned lots at gas stations by police and inquiring locals. Most were understanding when you explained we were moving and had to travel.

Only province that was a complete dick about it was Quebec they really didn't want to let us through the border.

We made sure to have proof our house was sold in BC so we had no home to stay at and wait until safer time to travel. We also had copy of purchase contract of new house in NB. After about 45 mins they reluctantly let us through and deemed it essential as I mean we had to get home.

If we had another property in BC and had just bought a 2nd home I'm pretty sure they would of told us to turn around.

Just make sure you have proof to back up your "story" and not just trying to BS and say your moving so you can road trip and you should be fine. We tried to call each boarder city police or RCMP as well before we left and along the trip to access the ever changing situation and try and get pre-permission whenever possible. Most just said the situation was ok at the time but each provinces/rules are changing regularly. No one would for sure tell us we'd be fine but we had to go so we did!

In end it was best decision we made. Bills are low, minimal stress about income, jobs. House is paid in full and way less people here are Covid idiots. People take it seriously here and our numbers have been consistently low. Then I look back to BC & Shake my head. When will you guys take it serious so numbers drop? I'd like to come back and visit again but not worth the risk traveling though ON, QB airports and then coming to BC as well! NB is really strict who we are letting in at boarder as well, and it should stay that way. If it's not essential stay home and spread in BC don't bring your carefree anti mask attitudes with ya!
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Some dear friends did it a number of years ago. The only issue they had was in Toronto where they were broken into and a pile of stuff stolen. They recommended in future to miss TO or never leave your vehicle/camper/trailer unattended.
Sounds like similar issues to downtown Vancouver.

A trip across Canada is something we have considered as well. In the meantime there is so much BC to explore, we will stick close to home for the time being.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Feb 10th, 2021, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

removed

Although we all have different viewpoints we all want the same thing usually a good future for ourselves and our children. We just sometimes have different opinions of what that looks like.

Very few people am I unable to have a beer or smoke a joint and get along with. At end of the day most of what we bicker about on the forums is trivial or out of our control for the most part usually.

Although I don't agree with all of you here at times, I wish ya all the best. Have a great day :130:
Last edited by Catsumi on Feb 10th, 2021, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I would never join you for a beer or a joint LiamHaddock, but please don't take it personal.
I just don't enjoy either pastime.

As for Even Steven there,
I wouldn't take him too seriously.
Although I have never met him in person, I can almost bet he is a nice guy.

Return to “Canada”