Living in a post-racist world.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Living in a post-racist world.

Post by occasional thoughts »

Watching my favourite cable news channels yesterday, the ones that didn't have the Super Bowl, I was shocked at the naked truth of their coverage; wall to wall commentary about race, racism, systemic racism, White supremacy, anti-racism. And so is hit me, people's minds aren't on economics, food vulnerability,, living from pay cheque to pay cheque, they're on race. And so they should be. Racism is one of the most enduring maladies of our world. I personally do not get it. While I believe individual humans may evidence characteristics that allow us to judge superiority vs. inferiority, Every person is born with an intellect, and brilliance is not confined to White persons.

From time to time, I reflect on what a post-racist world will look and feel like. Will we ever get there? How many more decades/centuries/millenia? What will it feel like to be colour blind ref. our fellow man and woman. What if no one despises miscegenation? Will there still be cultural things to *bleep* and complain about.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Living in a post-racist world.

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

occasional thoughts wrote:Watching my favourite cable news channels yesterday, the ones that didn't have the Super Bowl, I was shocked at the naked truth of their coverage; wall to wall commentary about race, racism, systemic racism, White supremacy, anti-racism.
Would that be CBC?
From time to time, I reflect on what a post-racist world will look and feel like. Will we ever get there? How many more decades/centuries/millenia? What will it feel like to be colour blind ref. our fellow man and woman. What if no one despises miscegenation? Will there still be cultural things to *bleep* and complain about.
As much as many of us dream this impossible dream, it's not likely to happen.

Looking back on the evolution of us humans, has there ever been a period of time when we have not hated, despised, murdered, enslaved fellow humans?
And I can't see it changing, not with 7 billion people in our ever increasingly overpopulated world. With the strains on people for food, water and shelter, it's only going to get worse.

Btw, I veered slightly from your topic of racism, as I see it as only part of what causes such upheaval in our world. I would put war ahead of racism, but either way, they all threaten us.

Maybe the only way one will get a post-racist world is if they have a strong belief in an afterlife, and when they die, that's when they discover it.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

The only failure is if we do nothing to reduce racism in our world. Your "good ol' days" are long gone.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Once you get a group of humans together to accomplish a seemingly impossible task for the group, racism disappears.

Racism will always exist so long as people that "have nothing better to do" exist. Generally speaking, retired Boomers.

Generally speaking, older people that live in gated communities are the foundation for all things racist.

For example, the annihilation of dogs above a certain height and size is just a small example of the racism encouraged from gated community people. I'm pretty sure Mexican, no matter what age, aren't allowed to live in gated communities in Kelowna.
Someone please correct me on this fact if I am wrong!

Large dogs are generally the best breeds of dogs to have around, yet gated community people are trying to extinct them.

When we finally begin to tear down gated communities, we can begin the elimination of racism.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

This is a serious conversation and I'm not looking for ridicule or put downs here. I don't like the current CBC Newsworld (Ch. 23 in Kelowna) format and I rarely listen to it, I am a consumer of MSNBC and CNN on t.v. and I check Fox News.com from time to time. I'm not uncritical of what I hear. I heard Rachel Maddow of MSNBC at 6 p.m. weekdays deliver two straight falsehoods in the first 5 mins. of her show tonight. Overall and usually she is interesting and occasionally brilliant But I was n an upset fan tonight. More later.
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister

Post by Staredintoabyss »

Who says brilliance is confined to white people?
That sounds like a fake position to label opposition as cartoon verions of real people.
Especially since people of Asian descent outperform Europeans and people of Slavic descent often don't perform well in the West.

In the words of Denzel, "it is about culture".
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

oldtrucker wrote: A third party from 'elsewhere', so all of humanity has a common enemy or goal.
Climate change.
Disinformation and hate.
Growing populism.
Increasing inequality.

These are all conditions that are putting our entire civilizations at risk;
all common enemies but still a distinct absence of a common approach.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

forum wrote:Once you get a group of humans together to accomplish a seemingly impossible task for the group, racism disappears.

Racism will always exist so long as people that "have nothing better to do" exist. Generally speaking, retired Boomers.

Generally speaking, older people that live in gated communities are the foundation for all things racist.

For example, the annihilation of dogs above a certain height and size is just a small example of the racism encouraged from gated community people. I'm pretty sure Mexican, no matter what age, aren't allowed to live in gated communities in Kelowna.

Large dogs are generally the best breeds of dogs to have around, yet gated community people are trying to extinct them.

When we finally begin to tear down gated communities, we can begin the elimination of racism.
Are you OK? Seriously though.
Mexicans are allowed to live in gated communities but generally speaking in a country where the population is predominantly white, and gated communities are predominantly older people, of course, it's going to be 99% old white people in there. Nothing racist about that.
There are no rules against who can buy in one as long as you can afford it. And that is the key factor here.
Can an immigrant family from Mexico afford to live in a) one of the most expensive cities in Canada and b) in one of the more expensive areas in Kelowna?
While I'm sure there are some that can, I'm going to guess and say 99% of them probably can't afford it. Hell, I'm white and I can't afford it either.

Im going to ignore your ignorant rant on "the annihilation of dogs above a certain height and size is just a small example of the racism encouraged from gated community people" and just say this. Old people generally like smaller less energetic dogs. Huskeys are probably a bit too much for their old bodies to handle.

Racism will always exist as long as there are different looking people around with different cultures, ethnicities, and religions. But here's a news flash for you, it's not just white people that judge others based on their perceived outward differences. Almost all races of Humans have racists in their ranks. Older generations of Asians and Middle Eastern people can be very racist towards others. We see examples of this with their disapproval of their sons or daughters dating other ethnic people and saying they should find a nice Asian or middle eastern partner.

You are correct that as those older generations of humans die-off, their racist tendencies will die with them. But don't fool yourself racism of some form or another will always be around. We cannot force people to think and feel the way we want, that is the trade-off of living in a free country. People are free to equally love and/or hate whomever they want as long as they don't act on their thoughts. If we start policing people's thoughts, not just their actions, then this "free" country is doomed.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

forum wrote:Once you get a group of humans together to accomplish a seemingly impossible task for the group, racism disappears.

That is about as misdirected a statement as I have ever had the misfortune to read. I live in a strata and while we have rules regarding dog size, we don't annihilate dogs who fall outside the restriction. Given the ludicrousness of your statement, I'm not sure you meant to use that word, but maybe.

Lets move on, shall we? Mexicans being shunned in gated communities. This is a fantasy statement. In other words, its origins are not of this world but rather a byproduct of an overactive yet underutilized cerebellum. A rambling as it were.

Large dog breeds being extincted. First, you don't "extinct" something. It becomes extinct so what you should have said was "gated community people are trying to make large breed dogs extinct". Or words to that effect. And to add, really? You believe that is happening?

Now for the crux of your musings. If I hear you correctly, you are saying that Boomers and gated communities by extension are solely responsible for racism as it presents itself today? That is bold, not to mention sad.

You are either trying your hand at trolling (I hope that is the case) or you are a seriously delusional individual who really should be asking for guidance when the urge to put your thoughts down in writing hits you.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Ka-El wrote: Climate change.
Disinformation and hate.
Growing populism.
Increasing inequality.

These are all conditions that are putting our entire civilizations at risk;
all common enemies but still a distinct absence of a common approach.
Yes, because any effective solution will involve significant change to the status quo. And lots of people are terrified of change, even when the status quo isn’t working.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

It's human nature to automatically distrust and dislike "different". Whether it's different looking people, different way of doing things, etc.

If we are successful at completely eliminating racism (I doubt we'll get there in the next 100 years), the problem and focus will shift to other differences that result in discrimination. Weight/obesity, hair color (e.g. Gingers), height, financial status, etc.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

oldtrucker wrote:
Ka-El wrote:Climate change.
Disinformation and hate.
Growing populism.
Increasing inequality.
These are slow motion lifetime- plus length trainwrecks that don't apply as a immediate threat to all equally.... whether they are rich or poor. It's in our nature to put things (that are not a imminent threat) off to deal with at a later date.
Good points, but while all these things started off as slow motion train wrecks they're rolling downhill now and picking up speed. None of these things happened overnight, but the impacts of each are becoming more and more dangerous.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

TylerM4 wrote: If we are successful at completely eliminating racism (I doubt we'll get there in the next 100 years),
Maybe by that time we'll all be brown and beige
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Both excellent color choices. Neutral yet earthy tones. We'll look good in either.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
lsj777
Fledgling

Post by lsj777 »

Is living in a post racist world about living with racism and discrimination and what about the people that are stating that they are dealing with reverse racism and reverse discrimination matters ?

Return to “Social Concerns”