Anti mask protest in Vernon

lifegives
Board Meister

Re: Anti mask protest in Vernon

Post by lifegives »

bob vernon wrote:The anti-maskers and Covid-conspirator believers just keep breaking the rules. It would be great to have the police suddenly go full totalitarian on them and bring out mace and sticks and send them home to think about it.
In a way that is exactly what they want, to be proven right that this is all a big government grab for authoritarian powers.

I'm happy to just put on my mask and chant "Bonnie Bonnie" as I walk by.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Even if people don't agree with the protest message, at least they are rolling up their sleeves and getting out there and using their right to protest something peacefully they don't agree with. At least they're not someone that thinks they're contributing to the conversation by sitting behind a keyboard and complaining about people actually getting out there...oh wait... :200:
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I see nothing admirable about deliberately breaking rules designed to help protect the integrity of our health care system, and save lives.

If those protests result in even one unnecessary death, the protestors will have blood on their hands.

There are lots of ways to make your point, without risking someone’s life to do it.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Chyren wrote:Even if people don't agree with the protest message, at least they are rolling up their sleeves and getting out there and using their right to protest something peacefully they don't agree with. At least they're not someone that thinks they're contributing to the conversation by sitting behind a keyboard and complaining about people actually getting out there...oh wait... :200:
Spreading the virus in large, loud and maskless groups is not peaceful. Breaking the health laws that are in place to protect people is not peaceful. So instead of sitting here and typing this, I should organize a bunch of people with bats and bear spray to counterprotest and get the point across? I don't think that would turn out well for either party. There are ways to change laws in this country without breaking them.
I birn quil I se
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Merry wrote:I see nothing admirable about deliberately breaking rules designed to help protect the integrity of our health care system, and save lives.

If those protests result in even one unnecessary death, the protestors will have blood on their hands.

There are lots of ways to make your point, without risking someone’s life to do it.
What rules are they breaking exactly?

No mandate to wear masks while outside.
No mandate to physically distance while outside.

The only people willing to "Risk" exposure are the people gathering in the protest. Everyone else can easily avoid them.

Everyone has the right to peacefully protest anything they wish.
No one can start dictating who can or cannot peacefully protest or our free society is doomed.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

Nedroj wrote: What rules are they breaking exactly?

No mandate to wear masks while outside.
No mandate to physically distance while outside.

The only people willing to "Risk" exposure are the people gathering in the protest. Everyone else can easily avoid them.

Everyone has the right to peacefully protest anything they wish.
No one can start dictating who can or cannot peacefully protest or our free society is doomed.
No gatherings of more than 10 people, including outside gatherings. Social distancing must be maintained even outside. You are correct in that you are not required to wear a mask outside, but on the other hand you are required to wear a mask if distancing is not able to be maintained. Seeing the crowds of unmasked I don't think these people are paying attention. Of course what better way to protest regulations than to show that you will break them.

The "risk" is they will pass it amongst themselves. Then return to their homes, whether in Kelowna or elsewhere, and bring that risk with them to their normal lives.

Went to a BLM protest last summer, the mask mandate was not in place but many wore them. And we all kept our distance. Yes, peaceful protest is our right, but we can't be stupid about it.

These protests seem to be linked with many other subjects that confuse the issue. Are they protesting 5G too? Fluoride in the water? Seems that if they're protesting being able to gather for holidays they don't seem to have an issue gathering so why not just do it, they don't get ticketed at home unless they make a spectacle about it. Gather with strangers to protest not being able to gather with family?
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

So what was the outbreak from the blm protests? or the pipeline protests? No masks and lots of crowding there, almost as bad a Costco last Spring.....yet no outbreak, no cluster
Glad to see the protesters out, IF they are free thinkers and self-taught and informed. If they are just followers, they are lost sheep too.
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

Brushy Bill wrote:So what was the outbreak from the blm protests? or the pipeline protests? No masks and lots of crowding there, almost as bad a Costco last Spring.....yet no outbreak, no cluster
Glad to see the protesters out, IF they are free thinkers and self-taught and informed. If they are just followers, they are lost sheep too.
Are the "free thinkers", "self-taught", and "informed" so smart that you'd rather use them for medical advice? Switch from your family doctor? Think they should open up a walk-in?

Thankfully the risk outside is lower, but if you look at BLM protests, or Costco customers, (can't find any visual coverage of any recent pipeline protests) you'll see people wearing masks.

Last June a Trump rally in Tulsa led to an outbreak while outside the rally a BLM protest did not.

Is any increase in risk worth the consequences? Not just personally but to the health system and our neighbours?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

KiloHotel wrote:Asymptomatic spread is practically a fallacy as its recently been proven to be so exceptionally rare that it has little to do with the spread of the virus.
Not all cases hit the news. I don't think it's that rare.
But outbreaks in childcare centres have shown transmission by children who don’t show symptoms still occurs. During an outbreak at two childcare centres in Utah, asymptomatic children transmitted the virus to their family members, which resulted in the hospitalisation of one parent.
https://theconversation.com/children-ma ... -19-150523
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Strangenorthernbrew
Fledgling

Post by Strangenorthernbrew »

Randall T wrote: Spreading the virus in large, loud and maskless groups is not peaceful. Breaking the health laws that are in place to protect people is not peaceful. So instead of sitting here and typing this, I should organize a bunch of people with bats and bear spray to counterprotest and get the point across? I don't think that would turn out well for either party. There are ways to change laws in this country without breaking them.
Where's your proof? There hasn't been a single case of covid traced back to a rally. Canada-wide.
“If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings.” ― Leonardo Da Vinci
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Strangenorthernbrew wrote:
Randall T wrote: Spreading the virus in large, loud and maskless groups is not peaceful. Breaking the health laws that are in place to protect people is not peaceful. So instead of sitting here and typing this, I should organize a bunch of people with bats and bear spray to counterprotest and get the point across? I don't think that would turn out well for either party. There are ways to change laws in this country without breaking them.
Where's your proof? There hasn't been a single case of covid traced back to a rally. Canada-wide.
well where is your proof this is not so?
Strangenorthernbrew
Fledgling

Post by Strangenorthernbrew »

@dontrump.
I equate your 'spoon feed me info so I can then go discredit it' approach to being EXTREMELY lazy. This motivational level is a problem for our society.

Since the media would report on this in a heart-beat, why don't you do some research on your own and dig something up?
“If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings.” ― Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “North Okanagan”